Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys here's the deal:

2 1/2 or even 3 weeks ago I did my 2nd oil change. I can't remember the exact millage at the ODO but it was like 5400... now, I'm currently at 5500 or so at the ODO.

Last week, while driving to my girls car, someone in a Yukon tried to side-sweep (or whatever it's called) me intentionally- to do harm. The street has two lanes both ways and I was on the right lane, just when I pulled up next to that fuck this guy vigorously throws his car into my lane. I immediately brake going from like 50 MPH to 5 MPH... don't worry, nothing happened to the transmission as I took the necessary steps to avoid problems with that :)

Nevertheless, I followed the guy got his plates and called the cops- who knows what happened with that. About 30 minutes after the incident I was pulling into 7-Eleven and slowly making a left turning into one of the parking lots- I then hear a big cracking noise- like metal to metal scraping... I dunno if this was coming from my car but it sounded like it was.

A few days later, I've noticed (feel) that I'm not boosting the same especially in 2nd and 3rd. When I floored it in 2nd and 3rd- the boost just wasn't there- this got me worried/thinking....

Yesterday, I pick up my sister (did a normal drive and floored it once or twice in 2nd and 3rd) and again not as much boost as there was before. I'm about to park in my garage and before I do I remove the cover of the TMIC and bingo....a huge ticking/knocking sound coming from the right side of the engine.... this also hasn't been there before.

Couple hours later, while working on the rear engine mount (just tightening it more to spec) while tightening one of the bolts on the SU engine mount (and this is weird and I am not making up) there starts a buzzing like sound coming somewhere from the middle of the car.... I was like WTF? It went away about 30 seconds later.....

After finishing with the mount I started the car and I've noticed that the smoke out of the exhaust was different... not only did it smell it was slightly dark..... and shit... along with the ticking/knocking sound coming from the engine.

I turned off the car and check the oil- all gone.... for how long I dunno? A day? 2 maybe 3? The tip of the dipstick was slightly covered in oil..... way below minimum.

There is no oil in the engine bay nor is it or has been leaking from the oil filter or pan.....everything is sealed.
I filled her up to half way point on the dipstick and took the car out when I left for the movies. Let me tell you, everything was and is working like before. I have the boost in 2nd and 3rd that I ended up lackin' a a few days earlier. The ticking/knocking sound went away as well. The car is running beautifully with no apparent damages and whatnot. However, one thing I did notice is the change of the exhaust note....the exhaust sounds deeper and fatter.

I'm going to check tomorrow after work if the oil has been eaten again. If it has obviously there's a problem which I'm not even going to bother figuring out what it could be- because I'm just going to take it to the dealer.

However, let's say this doesn't occur again, could there have been significant damage done to the car in the long run? Something broke but won't affect the car totally just yet? I dunno. Time will tell with this one.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Thats a wierd and new one. Keep us posted as to what you/they find.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I will post daily bi-daily updates....

Well, 2 days ago, I had the fuel at the dipstick exactly at the half way point. This morning I started the car, waited till the engine warmed up about 40% and shut it off. Then, I checked the oil about 5 minutes later- it was slightly less than the half way point. So, the most obvious thing is that the oil didn't fully return to the oil pan since I checked it like 5 min later.

I checked the car again at work about an hour after I arrived. To my surprise the oil level at the dipstick was at max... not over, but perfectly at max.....so, far, the car is running great. Once I tighten the rear engine mount to spec (I think it was like 86 ft-lb) I could definitely tell the difference along with the TWM SS with bushings. All I could say is WOW- this is what I've been looking for a long time.

However, I'm not going to jump on the wagon and state that everything is OK because I dunno if it is. I will be checking the oil level daily for the next week to see if it is being eaten or not.

My guess is that when I thought that oil was eaten previously perhaps I checked it too soon after having the car just warm up. However, that doesn't explain the difference in exhaust smoke that day as well as the drop in boost.... I am not officially stating that I had a drop in boost (since I do not have the gauges yet) but it felt like it wasn't pulling in 2nd and 3rd like it did prior that day.

So, maybe it was in my head being over-anal about this stuff, I dunno. Time will tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts