Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reaching the end of my long endeavour with a "broken" 3rd gear, so I thought as good documentation in case anyone else has similar problems, I'd post the problem I had, and the solution I reached.

Executive summary:
-------------------
Problem:
- On manual transmission, 3rd gear pops out into neutral 80% of time, shortly after warranty expires
Solution:
- Dealer took apart tranmission, broken parts internal to the tranmission, 3rd & 4th Hub and associated parts
- Mazda Customer Service provided after warranty assistance to pay for repair based on good faith backing of their parts, customer loyalty and good service history
--------------------

I have a 2005 Mazda 3s Sedan with the 5 speed manual transmission. At about ~48,000 miles, on very rare occasions, I had 3rd gear "pop out" after I had just placed it in 3rd gear and started accelerating. At first, it had happened so rarely, I assumed it was my own error in shifting. Somewhere around 51,000, it very suddenly got to the point where about 80% of the time, after shifting into 3rd gear, re-engaging the clutch, and stepping on the accelerator, the gear would "pop out" into neutral within a few seconds.

At this point, I was very depressed, since the warranty had just expired. Didn't really have time to have my car out of commission for a week, so I drove it around for a few thousand miles, simply not using the 3rd gear, as I pondered my options. A few friends of mine suggested I try getting Mazda to honor the warranty even though the warranty had expired. So I took it into the dealership where they told me they can look at the tranmsission, but any appeal on after-warranty assistance had to be made to the Mazda Customer Service people.

So I had the dealership run the diagnosis, and they confirmed the problem was internal to the transmission, so they'd have to take it appart to solve the nature of the problem. I called Mazda customer service, I plead my case, that I thought the part had started failing before the warranty had expired and asked them in good faith to cover the repair. They needed me to authorize the minimum ~700 tear-down of the transmission before they could agree to any assistance. So I authorized the dealer to take it apart. Customer service also asked me to fax in receipts from my service history to get an idea of the car's maintenance history. It helps that I faithfully had my car serviced at mazda dealerships, and did service at the right time.

Long story short, after playing several days of phone tag. The parts that came back as needing replacing were:

• Ring, Synchronizer
    Hub Set, Clutch
    Ring, Retainer
    Ring, Synchronizer
    Nut, Lock
    Nut, Lock
    Fork, Shift (3rd & 4th)

Because of my loyalty, and consistency in my service history, and in good faith to the warranty, Customer Service agreed to pay for the repairs to the transmission. That's about all the official diagnosis that I was able to get. I'm uncertain what the extent of wear/damage was on the parts, but those are the ones that needed to be replaced to complete the repair.

Like I said, just thought I'd post the story out there, in case anyone has similar probs and it might be useful. I'm of course really happy that Mazda decided to give me the after warranty assistance, they certainly didn't have to, but they do consider it on a case by case basis.

Anyway, can't wait to have my car back with all its gears :)

For the record, while I drive agressively, I do not autocross or otherwise regularly abuse my tranmission. In case any reader might be wondering :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Damn it man! I am having similar problems but it is when I shift into 3rd gear. I thinking it is the synchronizes. I would love to take in to the dealer but I got plenty of mods done to my car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI, the repair bill for tear-down, replacing the parts and putting it back together was about $2050 if I had to pay it out of pocket, and $4000 for a new tranmission. Another route I had considered was replacing it with a used tranmission, but risks associated with that as well. I've seen 3 tranmissions for sale on ebay, but not super easy to find one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
im currently running a used one off ebay..its been pretty good... it came from up north and im in texas.. trany supposdly only had 20K.. but idk.. my third gear has been pissing me off. it grinded a lil at first now after and additional 10 grand ive put on it.. its worse..

Anyone know the link to the Third And fourth gear set up?

·
Registered
235 Posts
my transmission has the same issue its in its corner in the garage having a time out before getting rebuilt/ replace whatever will be cheaper.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i got ma used trany on ebay from lkq online... its carzy casue i work with advanced auto and our salvage parts come from them too!

·
Registered
215 Posts
[quote author=CirrusLGato link=topic=135267.msg2911088#msg2911088 date=1233730070]

• Ring, Synchronizer
    Hub Set, Clutch
    Ring, Retainer
    Ring, Synchronizer
    Nut, Lock
    Nut, Lock
    Fork, Shift (3rd & 4th)
[/quote]

aaahhhh. that looks like such an expensive list of parts!
$2050?
$4000?
thats aproaching half the price of the car!
maybe ill just swap my coilovers out, and trade it in for a speed3
ive been looking to swap an amr trans into it, but thats about 2000 upgrade as well, so its not in the budget.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2003 Mazda3 2.3.

I have a longer list of parts + part numbers which were replaced if anyone is interested.
My 3rd gear went at 45,000 miles and I had it completed under warrenty at 48,000 miles.

Now at 140,000 the issue has restarted again, lost 3rd gear.

I am thinking something is wrong and now if I want it done right, I am going to do it myself.

If anyone has any advice for me please let me know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote author=eburhans link=topic=135267.msg4067524#msg4067524 date=1310261510]
I had the same issue with my 2003 Mazda3 2.3.

I have a longer list of parts + part numbers which were replaced if anyone is interested.
My 3rd gear went at 45,000 miles and I had it completed under warrenty at 48,000 miles.

Now at 140,000 the issue has restarted again, lost 3rd gear.

I am thinking something is wrong and now if I want it done right, I am going to do it myself.

If anyone has any advice for me please let me know.
[/quote] Mazda didnt make a 3 in 2003.

·
Registered
34 Posts
this happened to me and i'm not exactly sure what happened internally, i think it's the synchro. i picked up a transmission with 30k miles on it for 500 bucks, and a guy is throwing it in for 300, not a cheap fix but a fix none the less, hopfully i won't have to deal with this again. here's a question, how often did you replace the tranny fluid? i'm not sure what the recommended is but replacing it more often could possibly prevent this problem in the future.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey, Im new here. Even though I've been consulting this forum for over a year. I've been utterly plagued with this 3rd gear ISH as well. After much deliberation I've decided to buy a used tranny. I live in quebec and Mazda 3s are quite popular here, more-so than the civic, cobalt or even corolla. Just to give you as an example. Lecavalier scrapyards have almost 100 07-09 Trannies for well under 500 $ with 2 year warranties on them. I just wanted to know Gdschaf what your experience is with a used transmission. Is it a standard? Is the new (used tranny) still plagued with 3rd gear issues?

Thanx

·
Registered
34 Posts
[quote author=M_Duch link=topic=135267.msg4090803#msg4090803 date=1312997719]
Hey, Im new here. Even though I've been consulting this forum for over a year. I've been utterly plagued with this 3rd gear ISH as well. After much deliberation I've decided to buy a used tranny. I live in quebec and Mazda 3s are quite popular here, more-so than the civic, cobalt or even corolla. Just to give you as an example. Lecavalier scrapyards have almost 100 07-09 Trannies for well under 500 $ with 2 year warranties on them. I just wanted to know Gdschaf what your experience is with a used transmission. Is it a standard? Is the new (used tranny) still plagued with 3rd gear issues?

Thanx
[/quote]

so far, no problems. I don't know what caused it but i'm going to treat it a little better then my last one. and replace my tranny fluid once a year with full synthetic and hopefully it won't happen again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For what its worth, I had a 3rd gear issue as well in my 2006 2.3L. It never slipped out on me but was making a loud "clunk" noise and sometimes "fought" me when shifting.

Mazda replaced the 3rd gear, synchro rings, etc. under warranty. It happened around 30k, give or take 20k (to be honest, I forget, this was about 4 years ago).

It seems to me that there is a real problem with 3rd gear on these cars.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My third gear vibrates at times, if you just put a finger on it while its in gear and you accelerate it moves a bit. It's never come out of gear on its own but my warranty will soon be up and 2-4K is a lot of money. Is this from resting you hand on the shifter while driving or poor shifting or just bad mazda synchro? I'm the second owner got it from a dealership so I never meet previous owner and have no clue how he drove the car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Old thread kind of, I know. But it's nice to know I'm not the only one this has happened too. I bought my car with high mileage (96k maybe?), and after maybe 3 months of ownership my 3rd gear was kicking itself into neutral too! I think my final bill was about ~3k..... weak. Here I am, 3 whole yrs later and the used tranny that it got replaced with grinds in 3rd too, and it has since maybe 6 months after I got the used one dropped in, albeit not as severely as the previous one, but still. As someone above stated, I don't know how MY previous owner treated the car either, but on top of replacing the tranny I had to get a whole new clutch at the same time, and had to have some effin hole filled somewhere that made the car stall out every time I drove through a puddle. OH, and the passenger side fog light glass was shattered. The paint wasn't awesome pretty awesome either, so I'm sure they didn't take very good care of my beloved 3 before I got it. A$$hole car killer :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts