Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built her yesterday.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/hdaniel428/?action=view&current=sub.jpg

Sounds great. Slams like a ported box but is still really accurate like a sealed box. I built it exactly to kicker's specs. Cost me like $45ish in materials and took like two hours to build. I figure if I bought one that nice and that solid it would easily cost like $150. Its in the trunk of the 3 in that pic so it kind of gives you an idea of the size.

I'll post up the dimensions if anyone wants them. Anyway, it sounds amazing, and for my first box build ever I would say I did pretty damn good!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
looks exactly like the one i bought from circuit city (pretty sure it's the kicker you based yours off of) -hits really nice even running at 300 watts rms! I think I paid about 90 for it but nice job for a DIY.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=ak47clown link=topic=65947.msg1130181#msg1130181 date=1167792579]
looks exactly like the one i bought from circuit city (pretty sure it's the kicker you based yours off of) -hits really nice even running at 300 watts rms! I think I paid about 90 for it but nice job for a DIY.
[/quote]

Mine wasn't based off any actual box. Its just built to the dimensions specified by kicker: box volume, port length, width, and height.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Looks real nice. First time building one?

On a side note, ive always had a hell of a time carpeting boxes. So many folds and having to cut here and there and make sure it lines up etc....

On one of my boxes I had it rhino lined, and it came out REALLY nice, I think im going to do that again when I get around to it with my current box. Im tired of the velcro on my bodyboard leash getting stuck to the carpet and making it look like crap.

·
Registered
455 Posts
[quote author=WetsuitxNinja link=topic=65947.msg1131810#msg1131810 date=1167869933]
Looks real nice. First time building one?

On a side note, ive always had a hell of a time carpeting boxes. So many folds and having to cut here and there and make sure it lines up etc....

On one of my boxes I had it rhino lined, and it came out REALLY nice, I think im going to do that again when I get around to it with my current box. Im tired of the velcro on my bodyboard leash getting stuck to the carpet and making it look like crap.
[/quote]

FWIW- Old school installer's trick (old school because I've been out of the car audio industry for 8 years)-

Recess the two ends of the enclosure about 3/8" in when building the enclosure (of course, take this into your volume calculations when building the enclosure). That way you can wrap one piece of carpet around the top, bottom, front, and back, and seam this piece on the bottom. Wrap that piece around the lip on the ends and cut the carpet right after the lip (where the lip hits the recessed side panel). Then just carpet the two ends, cutting the new piece exactly in the crevice where you cut the first piece after the lip. Of course, make sure to give the entire sides a liberal coat of adhesive right before you wrap the first piece, because you don't want to get any overspray onto the first piece of carpet when putting the end pieces on.

Here's a link where it shows this type of enclosure (note the two sides if I've done a horrid job of describing this)- http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=10&prod_id=335

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
ok so to get this straight-looking at the link that you included the two sides are separate pieces and the front, top, rear, and bottom are all from one piece? How do you treat the corners where the recess is? Do you cut them on 45's or is there another trick?

·
Registered
455 Posts
[quote author=ak47clown link=topic=65947.msg1132100#msg1132100 date=1167879236]
ok so to get this straight-looking at the link that you included the two sides are separate pieces and the front, top, rear, and bottom are all from one piece? How do you treat the corners where the recess is? Do you cut them on 45's or is there another trick?
[/quote]

Yeah, the two sides inside the lip are each a separate piece of carpet from the other, much larger piece used to cover the other four sides and the lip.

Here's the process for covering the lip after covering the front, back, top, and bottom with one piece and seaming it on the bottom-
-you should have at least 2 inches of carpet extending past the edges of the enclosure
-cut each corner of the overlapping material straight out to the end.
-you should now have four flaps of carpet at least two inches long (kinda like a cardboard box with the top opened and the flaps all straight up in the air)
-spray adhesive on the inside of all four flaps and the ENTIRE end of the sub enclosure (don't be afraid to use plenty of adhesive on this step- but make sure it isn't still wet for the next step-tacky is OK, wet is not)
-lay down one flap onto the two sides of the lip, making sure to not have any wrinkles or bubbles in the carpet (it can adhere slightly onto the recessed side panel without any problem)
-take one of the next flaps and lay it down as you did the first one, letting the flaps overlap at the corner.
-take a very sharp utility knife, and cut though both layers at the same time, cutting from the outside corner of the enclosure to the inside corner of the lip, and then in the vertex of the 3/8" side.
-remove the material you cut off, including lifting the corner of the second flap you laid down to remover the portion of the first flap that is cut underneath
-butt both pieces together to make a nice seam (if you didn't put down enough spray adhesive you'll be regretting it right about now)
-cut along the vertex where the 3/8" side meets the side panel for each of these flaps
-remove the excess material you just cut off from the flaps
-repeat the corner process on the remaining corners
-the lip should now be covered completely
-apply spray adhesive to a scrap piece of carpet at least four inches or so larger in both dimensions than the remaining side panel
-WAIT for spray adhesive to get tacky
-place carpet piece onto side panel, pressing firmly and using your fingers to press the carpet into the vertex of the side and the lip
-use utility knife to cut out excess side piece by running the blade in the vertex of the 3/8" side and the side panel

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is when I write it out like that. Wish I had a few photos showing how to do it, as it normally only took about 10 minutes to carpet an enclosure like this.

07mazda3s- Nice job on that enclosure, especially your first!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not bad, about the same size as mine. Minus points for using what appears to be plywood though. For covering I used padded roof liner that my brother had laying around. It worked out pretty well. I ended up sewing the seams for a nice clean look.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
looks like mdf to me

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
lol- i just stay out of the nj chat thread cuz i can't keep up with it. latest things have been the ark short shifter (which i finally fixed all the problems with their fuckin product) and the heated seats. Other than that I did my custom component setup and sound deadening this summer...

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
Yeah I gotta fix my short shofter. one of the bolts is loose and sometimes causes me to mis-shift, which is really annoying.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
That's what I just fixed today with crazy glue-the top bolt right?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Did you have an issue with side to side play as well? I did because the part that the spring fits around is a smaller diameter than the stock one-i've got a thread with pics...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts