Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not quite sure if this should go in audio or interior modifications... it's a little of both.

I finally received my Auxmod in the mail today (thank you, Sylfex) and would recommend doing business with these folks as they are really easy to work with and make a quality product.

I wanted to be able to quickly plug in my iPod in a convenient yet hidden location to keep it out of sight/sun. I bought a 3.5mm male/male cable from Radioshack, along with a gold-plated coupler, totaling to around $10.00.

Now, I will show you what I did with them:

I took a large washer which already had a small hole (obviously) in it. I enlarged that hole using a 3/8" bit, to fit the coupler.

Then, I firmly tapped the end of the coupler into the 3/8" hole (it is a VERY tight fit) until about 3mm stuck out the other side of the washer.

There, now my coupler has a flange on it, making it perfect for this install. Where you decide to put this is up to you, but below, you will see how I did it.

I removed the center console pieces, and drilled a 3/8" hole just above my cigarette lighter (the cigarette lighter is not OEM, I did that earlier). Then, put a little bit if liquid nails on the top side of the washer, and plug it into the hole. This is what it looks like:

Now, I can keep my iPod inside the center console, it can charge while I drive, and can also play through my speakers with no more FM modulator (YES!!). All thanks to this wonderful little invention made by Sylfex.

This is what it looks like with the console lid open looking down:

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Excellent job! It looks very clean.

A couple of thoughts. If you plan on charging your ipod from that power point you may want to put a ground loop isolator in line somewhere otherwise you'll most likely get alternator whine. Also,if you haven't seen them, the 2007 center console has a little rotating open piece in the bottom of the top section so that you can run a wire through from the aux. input in the compt. below. I don't know if mazda will sell you just the hinged lid to the center console, but if so you'd then be able to put the ipod up on top.

Again, great job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
how are you running power to your ipod? i like your setup, plus i work at radioshack, ha.

NVM- i see what you did. you added a 12v dc outlet in the console, also from radioshack. ha cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts