Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Why is Mazda using the air straighteners at a different orientation than the AEM instructions. They are the exact same intake except for the filter?

Here is a pdf of each:

The Mazda has the straighteners so they are not parrallel with the MAF sensor. The AEM shows them parrallel.

I noticed when the straighteners were not parrallel the STFT and LTFT would be alot more random and give non consistant readings. When I switched to having them parrallel it helped. Although my LTFT are still high +7 to +10.

MSCAI instructions below

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
I noticed this too! Not sure what the fuel trim difference or why this is the case....I would trust mazda...but then again they have the AEM orientation on the stock airbox so....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ok so I've tried both and so far the AEM method of orientation is working best for me right now.

I never had instructions when I bought my Air Straightener so looking at the pipe and the way it bends the logical orientation to "straighten the airflow" to me seemed to be exactly the way thos MS CAI instructions say. My LTFT were kind of high though and STFT were not very stable.

So I then got to thinking, hey how does the stock airbox straightener look, saw that it's parallel. I reinstalled/alligned my intake and Air Straightener so it looks like stock/AEM orientation. Now my LTFT are lower and STFT is much more stable. LTFT is now -0 @ idle, -0 @ tip in, 6 @ partial throttle and 5 @ medium throttle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=08CrystalWhite_SoCal_MS3 link=topic=137134.msg2955930#msg2955930 date=1235416507]
Ok so I've tried both and so far the AEM method of orientation is working best for me right now.

I never had instructions when I bought my Air Straightener so looking at the pipe and the way it bends the logical orientation to "straighten the airflow" to me seemed to be exactly the way thos MS CAI instructions say. My LTFT were kind of high though and STFT were not very stable.

So I then got to thinking, hey how does the stock airbox straightener look, saw that it's parallel. I reinstalled/alligned my intake and Air Straightener so it looks like stock/AEM orientation. Now my LTFT are lower and STFT is much more stable. LTFT is now -0 @ idle, -0 @ tip in, 6 @ partial throttle and 5 @ medium throttle.
[/quote]

What kind of numbers were you getting with them skewed/mazdaspeed style?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
recently :shock: they were off the charts. Idle went to 14 and medium throttle 20, when I tried going back to the MS CAI2 map. I went back to stock map after about 5 miles of that.

Then that's how I got to looking at the stock airbox and tried the parallel orientation. Much better now. I'm still getting a little KR (~1.4) but not as bad I was getting before(3+). I also only have about 30miles on the map since reflash, so I'm sure the LTFT will change a little over the next 30+ miles.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I've got calls into AEM and Mazda. I'll pass on whatever they say.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So... I think I'm going to uninstall the AP tomorrow, until the release of AccessTUNER Race/Pro and I will reinstall it and have it custom tuned. The power of the OTS maps is there but delivery is not as smooth as I think it should be and I'm still a little uncomfortable with the KR I'm getting on the MS CAI2 map.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
CP-E nano has the maf and the airflow straightener on an angle although still parallel, LTFT is between -3% and +3% most of the time

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=budgy link=topic=137134.msg2964005#msg2964005 date=1235693863]
CP-E nano has the maf and the airflow straightener on an angle although still parallel, LTFT is between -3% and +3% most of the time
[/quote]

How can you be at an angle(\\ //)and still be parallel(||)? Did you look at the pdf's? It's not in relation to the pipe, it's in relation to each other. I'm already confused enough about this. AEM say's "Did you ask them why they printed them that way?"(AEM's instructions were out first). Mazda says "If they did it there must be a reason.".

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
I just mean the orientation of the pipe and the angle the MAF inserts into it is on a greater angle than the stock setup, but the straightener and MAF are in parallel to each other

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=MX CAT link=topic=137134.msg2965287#msg2965287 date=1235755274]
subbed for more info.
[/quote]

You can sub by clicking the button that's marked "NOTIFY" right down there VVVVVV

·
Registered
568 Posts
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=137134.msg2964087#msg2964087 date=1235697586]
[/quote]

How can you be at an angle(\\ //)and still be parallel(||)? Did you look at the pdf's? It's not in relation to the pipe, it's in relation to each other. I'm already confused enough about this. AEM say's "Did you ask them why they printed them that way?"(AEM's instructions were out first). Mazda says "If they did it there must be a reason.".
[/quote]

It sounds like we won't get a definitive answer on this besides datalogging.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=Design link=topic=137134.msg2965664#msg2965664 date=1235764269]
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=137134.msg2964087#msg2964087 date=1235697586]
[/quote]
[/quote]
It sounds like we won't get a definitive answer on this besides datalogging.
[/quote]

The response by Mazda was over the phone. I'm still waiting for email response.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one of these b/c they are cheap power right? What kind of difference does it make w/ and w/o it? Where do I get one?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Lately I've been wondering how good a job it does at that. I don't know if it's my car or the tune (stock and MSCAI2) and/or the MS CAI. I'm on the the stock map until Cobb releases AccessTUNER so I can get a custom tune. I mean I'm not getting a lot of KR 0.3 to 0.7 but my LTFT never seem to settle (change from week to week/ day to day) and are nowhere near -0 (8 to 10).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts