Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of y'all drove an MS3 Sport and GT back-to-back?

Reason I ask is...

I have a Sport. Have about 2000 miles on it. My cousin owns a GT which has approx. 3k miles on it so far. Now I've driven/ridden in both back-to-back, and I've noticed that there's a pretty obvious difference in ride quality between the two.

My Sport seemingly offers a more rough ride compared to the GT. I feel the irregularities (esp. the nasty ones NYC streets have to offer, unfortunately) on the road more easily and often than with the GT. Just felt alot more sensitive to the road, whereas the GT felt more...solid, for a lack of a better term. One thing to note, I drive my Sport a bit more "spiritedly" than does my cousin in his GT, and when I borrowed his, I did not drive as hard as in mine.

Additionally, when driving along smaller streets where sounds are pronounced more often, with my window down, I've noticed a random ticking sound coming from the driver's side wheel well at low speeds, mostly at the point of when I start moving from a standstill. ALSO, along same smaller streets, I hear alot more chatter in the wheel well area--the kind of sound you hear when debris (small pebbles, twigs, acorns, etc.) is being kicked up into the well.

Those are noises I have not heard anywhere near as commonly as in my cousin's GT.

I'm not too worried, at least i'm trying not to be. From my experience, no two cars have ever been the same, so I'm tolerating this stuff thinking it's just the way mine turned out to be. But I had to ask...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I haven't driven both but I seriously doubt there's a difference suspension wise. Plus the stiffer the suspension, the less forgiving it is in terms of ride quality. So if what you're saying is true, then your sport has a stiffer suspension which we both know is highly unlikely. I heard a ticking sound coming from the driver's side front wheel once, you know what it was? A little pebble was caught in the threads, lol.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You should confirm that the tire pressures are correct for both cars.

·
Registered
266 Posts
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=65859.msg1128802#msg1128802 date=1167716774]
You should confirm that the tire pressures are correct for both cars.
[/quote]

I was just about to post that while reading his description. Tire pressure would be the only really significant difference. No clue about the ticking though.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last I checked, tire pressures on both cars are running approx. 33 psi up front and 32 psi in the rear.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=65859.msg1128709#msg1128709 date=1167708535]
I haven't driven both but I seriously doubt there's a difference suspension wise. Plus the stiffer the suspension, the less forgiving it is in terms of ride quality. So if what you're saying is true, then your sport has a stiffer suspension which we both know is highly unlikely. I heard a ticking sound coming from the driver's side front wheel once, you know what it was? A little pebble was caught in the threads, lol.
[/quote]

I know there aren't any differences in suspension, but it's strangely obvious there's a difference in ride quality. I should add to the symptom description that my car seems to be less settled. My Sport's ride seems more jarring.

Perhaps I should take my cousin's GT around and drive the way I do...meaning a bit more spirited on the roads.

Oh, and I'll check out if there are any little pebbles caught in my threads. hehe

Thanks for the input thus far.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Its the extra butt cushion you get from the leather seats.

Actually could that be possible that the difference between seat material could make you think that ride quality is different. One gives more than the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts