Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered from StreetUnit for $98. Includes all the hardware for installing this kit onto your MS3.
1 of : ProSport Oil Filter Adaptor Plate - MS6, MS3 & CX7 (for use with spin on oil filter conversion)
1 of : Spin-On Oil Filter Conversion Kit: MAZDASPEED 6, 3 & CX7 (with top mounted oil cooler)

I would take time to do a detailed write up with pictures if I were ever to do this again, simply because it was a PITA for me. I came prepared with the kit, all require tools, working out of your standard garage/driveway home shop with a single 1.5ton hydraulic jack.

Sadly, I'm a mechanical engineer and this installation included no instructions, pictures, guides, torque rates, nothing; just a shiny new package and a personal will to get it installed. Other than that, it was a matter of searching these forums for something close enough to give confidence that you're doing the right thing. It took me roughly 5 hours all in all with a trip to AutoZone and dinner in between.

First things first, the adapter plate for the spin on filter passes oil AND coolant. This is one thing that may be overlooked easily if all you've done is focused on removing the oil filter (i.e. everyone who does their own oil changes). The coolant passes across the top of the oil filter adapter plate, it's that big black thing that you probably also did not notice when you change your oil. The coolant and oil must both be drained in order to remove the adapter plate. If you're like me, you won't know this until you're under the car...or unless I told you. Once the fluids are drained, the easy coolant hose is easy to remove, BUT the second one is a PITA to remove. Once removed, it's time to remove the oil filter OEM housing. This is done by 4x10mm bolts torqued at 12-15ft-lbs. Removal is best done using a 10mm open end wrench (IMO). The top left and two bottom bolts are very easy and take a little elbow grease to pop loose at first. The final bolt (top-right) required a 3/8" drive ratchet, 6" extension, 3/8" offset drive adapter, and an extended 10mm socket. Be VERY careful that the socket is fully on this bolt. It's a tight fit and barely accessible, but if you put the socket on first and tap it all the way on the bolt, you can then connect the drive adapters and torque the damn thing loose. Don't worry, it's MUCH easier to put back in! Once these bolts are removed, it's time to pull the housing off and swap the oil cooler adapter (big black thing on top of oil filter housing) onto the conversion kit. Reinstall everything just as it was taken off.

All in all, these products fit great and work excellent for my new Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature gauges. First install came with no leaks in either the coolant or oil systems. The down side, no instructions, no torque rates, absolutely nothing to assist in the installation process.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with the fact that it did not come with instruction. took us over an hour figuring out what to do sorry if this sounds stupid but in the end we got through. There is no need to drain the coolant. Just remove all the bolts that hold the oem housing which is also a PITA you will need to use either a 1/4 drive ratchet/socket or open end wrench. Then there is also a bolt at the top of the oem housing which is on top of that black thing sorry this is just coming out of my head we did the conversion last month on a buddys car. That top bolt was a major pain the ass and we did it when the oem housing was removed a friend held it while i unbolted it with a ratchet. It was torqued pretty good. One advice though is to use a thread lock for the remaining screws/holes on the sandwhich plate (blue plate) to prevent leaks. We did it the hard way and it started to leak after we turned the car on. I will be ordering mine next week and hopefully I can do a write up and detailed pictures

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is actually no need to remove the coolant hoses just remove the whole black piece that secures the hoses and you will have access to the top bolt that holds the oem housing and that black piece. It was hard to remove that top bolt though requires four hands LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts