Mazda3 Forums banner

MS3 saved my life....

2006 Views 19 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  zpeedfreak
four times this week! I've had to call on everything the Speed3 offers in braking, handling, and handling WHILE braking. LA drivers are something else.

One guy decides to cross the street while turning left and casually merge into my lane, as if I wasn't even there! Forced me to quickly evade to the right lane, almost bouncing off all the cars parked on the street. That was @ only 30mph or so. Another time a guy in a minivan - while on his cell phone - decides to cut thru the little gap left by stopped drivers who are trying not to block off one of the side streets. He just casually pulls out without looking and with no concern for cross traffic, smiling and yapping on his phone. I had to lock up all four and veer half way into the right lane again, cutting off a Camaro, who also locked up his brakes. Again only 30mph.

The scary one (partially my fault I suppose) was on the expressway, trying to negotiate LA rush hour traffic, and get to the exiting lane before I miss my exit. I'm doing 70+ to keep up with traffic while signaling and checking mirrors and looking over shoulder. I get to the right lane from behind a Hummer and BAM!! Cars are only doing 55-60 because of the back up on the exit I'm aiming for. As soon as I get into the right lane, I have to slam on the stop pedal which of course throws the weight of my lane changing car from the left to the right side front. I started fish tailing but the ABS, suspension and tires brought everthing back in line in seconds, THANK GOD!!

Todays was by far the SCARRIEST! I'm the one trying to make a left this time leaving the gas station, crossing the street with about 60ft to the intersection. The light is green, but turns yellow as I'm pulling out. I'm concerned with my mirrors and not cutting off the conversion van I'm pulling in front of when I hear ear piercing screech of someone locking up their brakes. I look forward to see it's the Nissan pickup I'm pulling behind, who evidently decided AT THE LAST FRACTION OF A SECOND that he didn't want to run the yellow. He locked em up, tires smoking and slid into the pedestrian crosswalk. I had NO time!! I paniced when I heard the sound and slammed on my own brakes, and came to a screeching halt JUST INCHES from his truck. IN FACT, if it weren't for the fact that he didn't have a bumper on that old Nissan pickup, I'm POSITIVE I would have taken damage.

I know I may not be the best driver in the world, (also new driving in LA) but my point for this post is to share my experiences in the Speed3 durring those evasive maneuvers. I'm CONVINCED that our cars excellent braking and suspension is what kept my ass out of the shop and the hospital!! I'm a pretty defensive driver as is, but coming from Michigan, LA streets are a whole new ballgame. Every other car I've ever owned would have been destroyed in a couple of those scenarios. MAN, I love my MS3!!
See less See more
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
wow. glad you made it out ok. and that you were paying attention :)
those are pretty scary scenarios all. I personally try to alway be aware...who is in my blind spot.
who is in front - who is behind me.
if the guy in front is braking often, I get off his tail.
If the guy behind me is following too close, I let up on the gas - go right on the speed limit or 5 below and they usually go around.
I hear ya. I'm learing how to cope with traffic out here in a hurry! I always follow the two second rule while following someone, and now I'm slowing down for all major intersections and going slow when there's a line up of cars. You just never know when a car or even a pedestrian is gonna jump out from behind those stopped cars!! I'm deffinately paranoid now after this week. :shock:
By any chance do you have navigation in your car? If so and one of these close calls becomes an actually incident let me know. However I'm glad your ok..be careful but if something does happen and you happen to have navigation your car let me know I would like to take it off your hands.
driving in LA sucks!!
i just try to stay away from other cars
which is impossible up there....
traffic is the main reason I wont move to LA.
Wow man. I went from Kansas to LA and it was pretty mundane. Most people in LA drive reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllly slow. The fast drivers are your friend, they get out of your way. And two second rule? Pfffff, good luck with that, might as well call it the "get cut off" rule. In less than one year with this car I've got over a grand in damage to the car, rear bumper and scratches in the paint. Welcome to LA friend, enjoy your stay.
[quote author=warpspeed link=topic=74731.msg1337196#msg1337196 date=1176602275]
By any chance do you have navigation in your car? If so and one of these close calls becomes an actually incident let me know. However I'm glad your ok..be careful but if something does happen and you happen to have navigation your car let me know I would like to take it off your hands.
[/quote]

Navi system: 1500 bucks.
Google Maps: Free.
Born and raised in LA. Hints in no particular order: drive FAST but smart on the freeway (seriously), DO watch those big intersections in the valley they are the single highest liklihood of a serious accident - period, wait for reds and then some on lefts if you have to...every third person will run it at 45 in a 25, and get the best insurance you can afford. Oh, and don't be one of THEM...you know who they are...keep em' at 3 and 6!

Welcome to heaven and hell all rolled up into one big fat wad of crazy.
Oh man. As if my nerves weren't shot already.... I went to a b-day party tonite in echo park. Had to take the 101 East to get there, and traffic was down to 20-40mph at one point. I'm so paranoid, I'm giving four carlengths to the car in front of me (and you're right, no one respects my 3 second safety cusion :?) when two lanes to my left, I witness a three car pile up! Like RIGHT THERE, comepletely unfolded in front of me, saw the whole thing, 30 ft away. The tailgating, the careless driver in a Lexus locking up and smoking all four, slamming a Focus in the butt, who flew forward and hit the Saturn in front of him. If they were following the 3 second rule.... eh gad, I sound like my mother. :shock: Shoot me now.

thanx for the tips though.

and no navi, but thanx for your concern.
dude...
move away!
there is bad mojo around you!
lol
lol

[/quote]
I think I'm one of the few that loves driving in L.A traffic. I don't live in L.A, but in San Bernardino County, and I love Driving to LA/Hollywood. The traffic makes you feel more AWARE of the road and your surroundings, it makes driving actually fun and not boring and falling asleep and crashing :)

Anyone with me? :p
[quote author=nXt link=topic=74731.msg1337733#msg1337733 date=1176633353]
I think I'm one of the few that loves driving in L.A traffic. I don't live in L.A, but in San Bernardino County, and I love Driving to LA/Hollywood. The traffic makes you feel more AWARE of the road and your surroundings, it makes driving actually fun and not boring and falling asleep and crashing :)

Anyone with me? :p
[/quote]

do you enjoy using the shoulder of the highway as a passing lane as well?
Having survived through the LA traffic for more than a decade, I can say that there are more inconsiderate drivers in LA than there are in all other places I've lived combined. A lot of morons, especially those driving exotic sports car, drive like they own the road, cutting in and out of the lane like nobody's around them. I drove 102 hp civic. But I didn't let those exotics cut in front of me and leave without knowing my presence. It don't matter if the car is ferrari. Using the LA traffic to your advantage, you can usualy pull close to them to show your middle finger and follow em till he makes some crazy moves to run away.
The few times I've driven in Socal, I haven't had too bad a experience on the freeway system. Then again, I spent most of the driving time in the SF Valley area.
[quote author=gwood link=topic=74731.msg1337474#msg1337474 date=1176611230]
Born and raised in LA. Hints in no particular order: drive FAST but smart on the freeway (seriously), DO watch those big intersections in the valley they are the single highest liklihood of a serious accident - period, wait for reds and then some on lefts if you have to...every third person will run it at 45 in a 25, and get the best insurance you can afford. Oh, and don't be one of THEM...you know who they are...keep em' at 3 and 6!

Welcome to heaven and hell all rolled up into one big fat wad of crazy.
[/quote]

Haha +1 ad infinitum!

Driving in LA can really be like one big video game, complete with gun toting gangstas and people who do incredibly dangerous things for virtually NO apparent reason. Yea your Speed can save your life. Hopefully you wil never need the passives designed into the car. WELCOME to LA!
I've been saved a few times as well. The DC traffic is crazy. But theres been a couple times where people just don't look (LIKE ALWAYS!) and start going over into your lane. I just pull the OH HELL NO! Boost! and I'm gone before they can finish hitting me :shock:
see my post in the candian white MS3 has landed thread...
[quote author=Greykiller2005 link=topic=74731.msg1337453#msg1337453 date=1176610823]
[/quote]

[/quote]

moving to a state that isnt overcrowded with people and illegal mexicans who never took a driving test and have no insurance.... priceless
[quote author=edrection link=topic=74731.msg1339577#msg1339577 date=1176730735]
[quote author=Greykiller2005 link=topic=74731.msg1337453#msg1337453 date=1176610823]
[/quote]

[/quote]

moving to a state that isnt overcrowded with people and illegal mexicans who never took a driving test and have no insurance.... priceless
[/quote]

LMAO!!!! :klavergreg:

you guys should come to PR an try driving here :lol: fun as hell :D .. it seems that everyone is hell agressive here :?

PR is like boot camp :D

I was at NYC past summer... I started to drive with caution thinking that im not home and I need to be polite but as soon the Taxi cabs started to piss me off.. haha I own them big time lol :lol: I had so much fun pissing off all those taxi drivers :p
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.