Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So After I sell my gas-guzzling SUV I will be in the market for one of these 2 cars. I thought about a Cobalt SS but it bores the heck out of me…it’s a fast rental car with fog lights, a big dumb wing, and two-tone seats. I like the aggressive front styling and the glove box/mini-fridge that the CSRT4 has but it appears to be depreciating at an astonishing rate…there are 08s that are still new and have no miles on lots that have sticker prices of over 27k that are being sold for around 18-19k. I would rather not be buried with a car that’s not worth jack squat after 2 yrs or so. I test drove both cars and I loved both. The CSRT4 interior was not nearly as impressive as the Speed3’s by a long shot but the shifter felt quite sloppy in the speed3. They are both very powerful from the factory and I’m not trying to create some 11 second track whore…just a few simple bolt ons and drag radials at the track. The problem with the CSRT4’s depreciation can be overlooked when I see the number of problems that the Speed3 appears to be having from the factory…between windshield rattles, turbo seals, motor mounts, boost spikes that throw rods etc. etc. Any advice/reasoning I should get a Speed3 over a CSRT4?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I would say do the same research with the CSRT4 that you've done with the MS3 and then compare, unless you have a list of problems already for the CSRT4 but you just didn't list it here.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I still have never seen an srt4 in person and I see a speed3 a few times a week. No wonder that aren't worth anything nobody wants them

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=PRBLU3MZR link=topic=139210.msg2999527#msg2999527 date=1237301026]
I would say do the same research with the CSRT4 that you've done with the MS3 and then compare, unless you have a list of problems already for the CSRT4 but you just didn't list it here.
[/quote]
I did list the problems...it's depreciation rate is faster than it drives and it's interior is as exciting as watching paint dry. Other than that it appears to not have many problems mechanically as I have searched their forums. The motor is bulletproof...there are people well over 400 at the wheels with zero issues...but I'm not looking to create a whp monster...just simple intake/exhaust...so that's not a huge deal for me. What makes you glad you got your car over some other hot tuner?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The CSRT4 is quick like a Speed 3, but you have to remember what each car is based on.  The MS3 is based on the Mazda 3, a solid, good handling little car.

The CSRT4 is based on a Cobalt Caliber.  A steaming pile of shit.

Don't forget that Chrysler will probably be bankrupt within the year, and the Cobalt's Caliber's warranty will be null and void - and a warranty on a Chrysler turbo is an important thing.

The Speed 3's shifter can be improved drastically with Corksport motor mount inserts and a set of shifter bushings - both for less than $100.

TIM

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
Caliber... CSRT is based on the Caliber.

And to Say that Chrysler will be out of business within the year is crap. If anything there will be two options.

A) They go into a Chapter 11 situation and Restructure
B) They get bought out by another company.

Either way, the warranty would not be null and void.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you don't mind the retro look, the Chevy HHR SS is a good buy, especially now. However the interior of the MS3 is the best out of them all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Honestly, I feel the Speed is the way to go. The caliber platform seems clumsy, and even the old neon platforms look weird. The MS3 yes the shifter feels like poop, but she holds a turn nice, great power, and looks AWESOME! Plus the shifter can be helped with bushings ect. If your looking to create a HP monster than as of now, the SRT might be the better way to go. But I'm sure if your patient something will come along for the MS3 in terms of engine management. Either way enjoy what you buy!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
[quote author=SweetSandMan link=topic=139210.msg2999616#msg2999616 date=1237303914]
[quote author=PRBLU3MZR link=topic=139210.msg2999527#msg2999527 date=1237301026]
[/quote]
I did list the problems...it's depreciation rate is faster than it drives and it's interior is as exciting as watching paint dry. Other than that it appears to not have many problems mechanically as I have searched their forums. The motor is bulletproof...there are people well over 400 at the wheels with zero issues...but I'm not looking to create a whp monster...just simple intake/exhaust...so that's not a huge deal for me. What makes you glad you got your car over some other hot tuner?
[/quote]

Well there you go. Get the MS3, you'll be happy in both the looks and performance categories vs. the CSRT4. You'll be just fine with an SRI and the FORGE BPV for daily driving and nothing serious as in monster power as you stated.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=SweetSandMan link=topic=139210.msg2999518#msg2999518 date=1237300718]between windshield rattles, turbo seals, motor mounts, boost spikes that throw rods etc. etc. [/quote]

Windshield rattle - is a squeak not a rattle, dealer fix, not even all that bad when it does happen
turbo seals- 25k without a problem
moter mounts- it one mount not several and it's a bolt, not the mount.
throw rods - not if it's stock, those saying theirs did it when stock are full of crap.

So tired of hearing this same crap over and over.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, big HP is great, but I'm looking to hold a turn. Plus you spend all that money on a CSRT or the MS3 and you still lose to a $3,000 mustang in the 1/4. And I don't hate the CSRT I'm just ball bustin, if thats what you want, than thats what you want. Don't let me or anyone tell you any different.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
I just wanted to post this from the Caliber Web site.

The top 5 for power numbers are:

1. Bayshore power tuned by Realtune : 505whp
2. Realtune Performance test mule : 433whp
3. Glowbot tuned by Realtune : 391whp
4. AGP test mule with help from Realtune : 378whp
5. Black08 tuned by Realtune : 373.8whp
These, according to them.... are the MOST POWERFUL Calibers in the world. 5th most powerful Caliber is putting down 373whp?

One more thing... Awhp is going to be lower due to the power drain of AWD.

I'm no fanboy... I just wanted to put out what is said by the Caliber guys.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
rofl

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
yea, but what you all fail to mention is that a couple regular 3s (may one RIP) have surpassed 450, and even 500hp. Eat your heart out cSRT4 ;)... hahaha.

*dont bitch at me too... relax*

·
Registered
234 Posts
A few of my friends have CSRT's and if I could do it again I would get the CSRT. With just a few mods, like Mopar S1, down pipe, WGA, intake, the CSRT's turn into quite the beast. Tq steer is an issue but aside from that they are great straight line performers that take well to mods and make power easily.

I had a NSRT and miss that car every day. The MS3 has turned out to be a big dissapointment for me. Mostly because of cold weather issues. And since its cold here 6 months out of the year you can see what I'm getting at. And its stock to boot. I can't justify spending any money on the MS3 and it will be getting traded in sooner than later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well this thread got out of hand...I have said I have NO INTEREST in breaking some whp record or something...just want a good reliable daily driver with some simple bolt ons. Which one am I going to enjoy driving, EVERY DAY, more? It's hard to make that judgement during a test drive due to it only being 5-10 minutes. Just looking for some insight on things that would sway me one way versus the other that DON'T have to do with future 500whp modifications.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts