Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be leaving to relocate down to Houston, TX a week from tomorrow. I'm leaving Providence, RI..Saturday the 7th. Hopefully arriving in Jacksonville, FL Sunday the 8th, then continuing on I-10 West to Houston, TX. Here's what it looks like on Google Maps:

Anyhow, couple of questions. As far as maintenance goes, what should I prepare for before I leave? My plan at this point is to do an oil change, good cleaning and fluid top off. Anything I'm missing? I'll be moving from a colder climate to a much warmer one, so maybe there's something I'm not thinking of that I'll need to do.

Also, can anyone recommend something to check out along the way of my trip? I considered going slightly out of the way to Ocean City, MD..mostly to drive down the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, but I've done it before. Looking for something new.

I'll be looking for any excuse to stop off and take a break, so if anyone lives off 95 and wants to snag a beer, PM me and we'll meet up.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's a pretty long trip, but other than checking tire pressure and oil level (MAYBE an oil change) you should be fine, it's a 2008. Just bring roadside emergency stuff with you if you can incase something happens (knock on wood). Safe travels man.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=popecruz link=topic=137549.msg2966181#msg2966181 date=1235780163]
It's a pretty long trip, but other than checking tire pressure and oil level (MAYBE an oil change) you should be fine, it's a 2008. Just bring roadside emergency stuff with you if you can incase something happens (knock on wood). Safe travels man.
[/quote]

tape the hood/bumper/side pannels

protect it from rocks ( paint damage).... and doesnt it also provide better air flow (save gas)?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
hit up the tail of the dragon at deals gap.

probably the most famous road on the east coast! 318 curves in 11 miles :shock:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Just do an oil change...bring an extra quart or 2 of oil. And make sure when you stop to get gas or anything...to let the car idle for a minute and not just shut it off after a long highway drive.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=blankets3 link=topic=137549.msg2966190#msg2966190 date=1235780441]
[/quote]

protect it from rocks ( paint damage).... and doesnt it also provide better air flow (save gas)?
[/quote]

Yeah, I definitely planned on doing this to protect from further rock chips. Not too sure about the better air flow, but it wouldn't hurt :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
OT but What is this taping that's spoken of?

(sorry)

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote author=blankets3 link=topic=137549.msg2966190#msg2966190 date=1235780441]
[/quote]

[/quote]

yea i'd throw some tape on the areas listed above to minimize the rock chips.

i'll reinforce the other guys' ideas

a quart or 2 of oil (just in case something happens)
little extra coolant.( just in case)
typical emergency stuff
tire iron
tire flat fixer
flashlight
let the car sit for a few minutes when getting gas after you've been on the highway that long

and

good music!

safe travels, watch out for the other idiots on the road.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Most of the things have been mentioned already, oil change if you're almost due, top off fluids, bring extra fluids (don't forget windshield washer fluid!), and check tire pressure and tire conditions. A temporary tire repair kit could come in handy too. Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Don't forget to get up and move around every four hours or so. I also recommend that men take an aspirin before and during a trip like this. We can get blood clots in our legs when sitting for extended lengths of time and the aspirin will help keep things thinned a bit. Don't forget your tire pressures will rise as you head south and it gets warmer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
[quote author=manny link=topic=137549.msg2966186#msg2966186 date=1235780346]
be careful in va, those pesky troopers will get you for anything.
[/quote]
+1
due to the economy, the troopers around VA and NC are tagging people ALL the time to get some extra speeding fine revenues to their counties coffers. Watch Out!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=g-love link=topic=137549.msg2967018#msg2967018 date=1235835372]
[quote author=manny link=topic=137549.msg2966186#msg2966186 date=1235780346]
be careful in va, those pesky troopers will get you for anything.
[/quote]
+1
due to the economy, the troopers around VA and NC are tagging people ALL the time to get some extra speeding fine revenues to their counties coffers. Watch Out!
[/quote]

This is happening everywhere in the US.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=i love jdm hoes link=topic=137549.msg2967391#msg2967391 date=1235854116]
To the OP, Why are you moving?

-(silver speed from the Mystic meet.)
[/quote]

Hey man. I've been an intern with HP for almost two years. Luckily I was able to get a college hire job with them down in Texas (its really the only place they're hiring right now). I'll be completely relocating down there and starting a new job, pretty stoked.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know, I'm going to miss the New England crew for sure. Good times at the Mystic Mazda Meet :). The community in Houston is pretty huge from what I hear so I'm excited.

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
[quote author=Garzilly link=topic=137549.msg2967965#msg2967965 date=1235880841]
I know, I'm going to miss the New England crew for sure. Good times at the Mystic Mazda Meet :). The community in Houston is pretty huge from what I hear so I'm excited.
[/quote]

we're pretty ballin, we all have speeds too XD

1 - 20 of 50 Posts