Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored last night so I decide to go out and just drive around. I live on LI and the streets don't get very exciting around here at all. But there is this one road about 20 minutes away from me that cuts between some pretty rich houses. Its not terrible curvy but it has a lot of nice sweeping turns to it, plus it gets really narrow so you feel like you are rally racing. I wasn't going terrible fast on it since I am still getting used to the handling of the car but it was so much fun that I made 4 passes on it. I have a nice video camera I use for skydiving that I want to hook up and video some of my drives, I think it might be fun. So last night I purchased the mount that Cosmicblue uses (I think it's him) and hopefully it will hook up nicely. Also I don't know if anyone is like me and just enjoys taking rides in the car for the hell of it but I know of a good site that shows some pretty cool routes to take. A co-worker takes a lot of outings on his sport bike and turned me on to this site:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

You basically pick your state and it will show you roads that people take and give you a brief description of it. It also rates it on how cuvry the route gets. So if any of you enjoy just tearing it up on curvy roads you might appreciate this site. Enough of my babbling! MS3 rocks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
man, awesome website. thanks for sharing! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Well, once we get shoveled out from under the 74.5 feet of snow we got in the last week, I MAY be able to use some of those roads. Or i'll go get snow meats and go rally-style...... WOOOOOOOOO!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
yup. same here, I go for rides all the time.
usually weekends. but sometimes if its really nice on a weekday, I'll go for a ride.
usually take the back roads...windows down. get the house music going..and just enjoy
usually gone for couple of hours.

but glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Just checked that site and there are a couple of roads listed that I drive on every week. Nice and twisty and scenic especially in the fall. 45 mph speed limits to top it off. I love roads that parallel rivers.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
NICE site. I have a friend who used to live in Hop-og (sp? it's phonetical so you'll know what the hell I'm trying to say, fyi I'm too lazy to look it up on google maps.) Nearish there there was a killer road with great corners about 2mi long. I'll find out the name, it's worth driving only side note is that the edges are sandy.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=70885.msg1244028#msg1244028 date=1172849472]
Well, once we get shoveled out from under the 74.5 feet of snow we got in the last week, I MAY be able to use some of those roads. Or i'll go get snow meats and go rally-style...... WOOOOOOOOO!
[/quote]

Okay feeling REALLY bad for you. It has been in the 70's here. AND we have twisties few people drive late at night! And you guys got an enitre season of snow in one storm I hear.

Did some twisties and our car OEM just rocks. Of course that means we all will likely only make it better. The Mazdaspeed spring kit is sitting waiting for me to get home from travel next week

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=gwood link=topic=70885.msg1246860#msg1246860 date=1172969279]
dp: This was the drive that I was talking about earlier...

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/ca_sr.html

A good alternate would be to head down Piuma back to the canyon, then to the coast as the views off Piuma are WAY better.
[/quote]

Ah yes I HAVE done that one!

Some of the Santa Monica Mtns roads are the best eh? Good surfaces and generally not many people around.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=70885.msg1247542#msg1247542 date=1173016127]

A good alternate would be to head down Piuma back to the canyon, then to the coast as the views off Piuma are WAY better.
[/quote]

Some of the Santa Monica Mtns roads are the best eh? Good surfaces and generally not many people around.
[/quote]

Some of the best drives in socal by far. Most of the good ones aren't even on that site...heh heh, good thing IMO.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=gwood link=topic=70885.msg1248394#msg1248394 date=1173055347]
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=70885.msg1247542#msg1247542 date=1173016127]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Some of the best drives in socal by far. Most of the good ones aren't even on that site...heh heh, good thing IMO.
[/quote]

GREAT thing and why the roads are empty :D

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
very nice.. i am on LI as well and can say there arent many roads that are fun... plan on getting a ms3 in the next 2 months and i will definitely have to find some nice roads on LI to go driving...

thats why i love going to my friends house in the poconos in PA, those roads by him are heaven and they just twist curve and go on forever...

nice find on the site by the way

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
correction
MS3 + curvy road + nice 75 degrees + cool breeze + Hottie sitting next to ya (going faster - faster) = HEAVEN

just came back from a drive by the way...soo much fun.
You all up north, wait for the weather to get nice, then you will see how fast this car really is.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
waiting myself... i need to get into my speed3 first though so the weather may beat me to it... lol but soon enough

1 - 17 of 17 Posts