Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I'm sure it has been asked and I have searched but got nothing difinative. Will it work if you use a ms3 front bumper and hood together on a mz3? I know you at least need both but is that all you need? I'm sorry if its been asked a million times but I could not find an answer so please dont flame. :flame:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Re: ms3 bumper + hood?

:lol: It has been asked a few times before.

Short answer, no!

The MZ3 and MS3 have a different cowl so the hood will not line up.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts

forgot about that.... What amazes me, is that for the added cost of converting the regular 3's front end to a speed's front end, you could buy a Speed, with money left over for mods. (But people still want to do it)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

well my thinking was to find a ms3 in the local junk yards and using the body parts off of it. so the difinative answer is you need to replace the entire front end: bumper, hood, fenders, and cowl?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

Seeing how the cowl is part of the firewall, I don't see how you would change it out. While I understand the desire to gain the aggressive look of a MS3, you would really be throwing resale out the window and money down the drain by putting a different front end on your car.

But to each their own.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

yeah that makes sense, at least i got my answer and didnt get flamed. thanks guys now i know its not possible and hopefully this thread will help others with the same question.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

Sorry tahoe41 for you being misled by a bunch of people that have been misled by a lot of other people who never even tried this and they THINK it wont work. Notice keyword THINK, because alot of people like to say they KNOW what they only THINK on here. No offense to anyone, because I'm sure you saw your answer from other people telling you the wrong info and you don't know you are spreading false info, so its not your fault. Dont worry.

OK, now that's over. So, tahoe41, I have an 04, and I also have an 08 MS3 front bumper, hood, fenders, sideskirts, and rear bumper sitting in my garage because I've been thinking about doing the swap too. Price wise, I got everything for pennies compared to what its worth so noone can tell you its not worth the price. Ok, the hood bolts straight on perfectly with the stock Mazda 3 fenders, cowl, and front bumper. However, you see how our hood goes down in the front to make the grille, well the MS3 hood goes straight across and the grille is part of its bumper instead of the hood. So, it will bolt on, but you'll have a wide hole where the grill is supposed to be. And let me repeat, I already bolted the hood on and tried it, so I know from experience, NOT HERESAY. If you have the bumper too, it will, of course, fill the void where the grille should be, being that the grille is built into the bumper. I hope you got what I mean. Oh, and glad to help you and not shoot down all your dreams with untested information like some people. LOL. Sorry, maybe I'm in a bad mood.

P.S. Check out some of my other posts including where everyone was talking about doing a MS3 front brake conversion and were skeptical about it, and I am driving around with MS3 front brakes on my car right now because I just got up and did it instead of talking about it.

Only one person determines your future, buddy. That's you. Get up and do something. :Hi5:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

nice if its as easy as front bumper and hood that will not hurt resale because you could always change it back. Cain can you test fit just the hood and front bumper before you put on the ms3 fenders to see if it will fit with the mz3 fenders? see this is why I posted this because there seems to be no clear answer on this. Cain pictures would be great too! keep me up to date.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

Because this has been asked several times before, I decided to compare the two at an install day since we had a MZ3 and MS3 side by side in the garage. In my measurements, the difference seemed so great in the cowl area that it was deemed the swap next to impossible.

It's terrific that you were able to obtain the parts and are doing the swap. I look forward to seeing the end result. Many create these inquiry posts thinking it's a simple bumper/hood swap, not knowing the differences behind the bumper, beneath the car, fenders etc. Perhaps you will write up a review of the process and required supplies and parts.

However, for anyone considering resale value, rebuilt cars retain only a fraction of their value (unless you find a buyer who is comfortable with a rebuilt car). As far as swaping the parts back, paint will fade so the panels will not match and so on. I just encourage people to think these types of decisions through before they start spending their time and money.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

I had a friend over and just decided to try it to see how it looked. We just stuck it on and then pulled it straight off, but I will try to get someone to help me pop it back on and I'll be happy to take a few pics for you guys.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

I would be interested in seeing pics. I just had a MS3 in my garage a few minutes ago and was noting all the differences under hood and behind the bumper.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

Ok, here goes guys. It is impossible to do this swap.....................lol, just wanted to make some people smile. Ok, now to make the other ones smile.

From the front, you can see what I was talking about if you tried to use the factory bumper. There is the gap that the MS3 bumper will fill with its integrated grille.

Fitment at the headlight is perfect: stock headlight, stock fender

Fitment at the fender: stock fender-flawless, perfect fitment

Fitment at the cowl. The cowl part of the hood does sit higher than the factory hood. However, the hood is only thicker, so, on the cowl, the flange where the seal is mates perfectly with the flattened strip on the hood that was designated for the seal originally. Perfect fit.

Final Note: The fitment of the MS3 bumper and hood is a direct bolt on for the MZ3. Also, I noticed only one thing different, which isn't a big deal if you are buying a hood and bumper anyhow. It is the window squiters. On the MZ3 hood they are mounted to the hood. On the MS3, they are mounted to the cowl panel. So, whoever you are buying the hood and bumper from, get them to throw in the cowl panel like I did. It bolts straight on also, and has the pickup hose that goes right where the MZ3 hose travels, so cut and stick it on. There you go. I hope I was able to make everyone happy. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts

Sweeeet...keep us updated on the swap. (Bigger pictures next time please :D) Always wanted to do a ms3 body kit swap. Price for MS3 in Canada are so much higher than US.

i just realized, I've only seen one ms3 so far in Vancouver... even the X is more common....

Btw, are MS3 fenders wider than MZ3? Cuz I don't see the need to swap the fenders if the hood fits perfectly

·
Registered
130 Posts

[quote author=jeffto link=topic=137812.msg2979292#msg2979292 date=1236320820]
Sweeeet...keep us updated on the swap. (Bigger pictures next time please :D) Always wanted to do a ms3 body kit swap. Price for MS3 in Canada are so much higher than US.

i just realized, I've only seen one ms3 so far in Vancouver... even the X is more common....

Btw, are MS3 fenders wider than MZ3? Cuz I don't see the need to swap the fenders if the hood fits perfectly
[/quote]

i know right? wtf, why are they so rare in vancouver?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

thank you very much cain this is a great thing for alot of people!

·
Registered
27,077 Posts

WOW.... thanks for proving us wrong. I didn't see this fitting, but it looks like it's a great fit!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

Can you show pictures of the front brace with the hood latched? Do you have a MS3 latch as it, along with the front brace is different. Also, have you gotten the bumper on?

Just trying to flush out all the details!

1 - 20 of 213 Posts