Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know, if you didn't know yet, about something I just discovered. The braces that go across the exhaust tunnel in our cars are compatable with the MS3, or should I say vice versa. I just finished bolting these on, but didn't get to test out its toll on torsional rigidity. I also didn't get to take a comparison pic of the front brace (right under the downpipe with the shield for the fuel lines). But here is a pic of the mid brace. MZ3 two single thin braces on the left, and MS3 one piece thick brace on the right. Direct bolt on alternative for G-Spec braces or such for MZ3 owners.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Re: MS3 under car braces on MZ3

[quote author=Airman Jack link=topic=138489.msg2985728#msg2985728 date=1236710056]
Now does anyone have a price comparison between the GT part and the OEM part?
[/quote]

I'd love to see the comparison- thinking about buying a GT Spec because my resonator rubs against the stock MS3 plate. I could probably cut some clearance into it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

My ressy is the Cobb and it's really big around and it seems to sit further forward than stock.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Any update on how this handles? What would I be looking at if I could find a good one on a slavaged ms3? I want to try it out before upping to a gspec. Also. Any pics after install? Ppl had ground clearance problems with the gspec.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

There is definately no ground clearance issues. I will try to snap a pic sometime, just my garage is full right now with another project and I don't have a flat surface anywhere to jack it up. I did it the same time that I swapped to the Ms3 sways and energy suspension bushings, so I don't know exactly what the difference in feel is. But, with all that stuff, it is crazy, along with koni yellows, and tein H springs, and new rubber, its like its on rails. No more body creak when into a hard turn, too.

·
Registered
801 Posts

It's really easy bolt on if you have access to lift. You will notice "solid' feel when you cut in first turn.

This tab helps installing easy. Insert tabs into existing tab receive so you don't have to keep holding while you are tightening bolts.

A bit of weight inclease.

My friend tech said when they introduce this braces bar, they also upgraded body structure to go with balancing maximum effect with this reinforcement.
MS3 has different body structure( strengthen point) to share experience(balance) with this braces bar while MZ3 doesn't have extra reinforced structure, so this point reinforce might give some unbalanced stress that supposed to escape by body panel to somewhere eles.
But still I think this was very much easy bolt on improvement when you think about cost performance.

·
Registered
121 Posts

i will have to find one for my 3 will help when i autocross it i bet.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[quote author=aaaslayer link=topic=138489.msg3387770#msg3387770 date=1256608720]
will this fit sedans as well?? or is it hatches only??
[/quote]

I'm about 99% sure it will fit sedans, as well. Good idea. I'll try to bolt this on my other car(sedan), tomorrow.

·
Registered
453 Posts

you have two 3's? nice. ya if you can try and bolt it up see if it lines up nicely. i just got hotchkis sways and i think this would compliment them well.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Bolted on the sedan, today, despite the bad weather. The front one and middle one both fit and bolt directly on. I don't think the front one is pictured above, but it spans out wider and connects closer to the jack point. You will need bolts, nuts, and washers for that. I would suggest to have nuts welded into the holes under the car for easier removal and reinstallation if needed. I couldn't drive it because half of it is in pieces, right now, in the middle of another project. But, I'm sure the difference is notable.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: MS3 braces on regular MZ3 +MORE BRACES (Updated 12/28/09)

ANOTHER NEW DISCOVERY BY CAIN!
Not only will those underbody tunnel MS3 braces fit with the MZ3, I have recently discovered that the Strut Tower Braces from the MS3 are compatible with the SEDANS (Sorry hatch guys, blew me away that it won't fit a hatch, too). That's right, only Sedans. Here are some pics of them installed on mine.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: MS3 braces on regular MZ3 +MORE BRACES (Updated 12/28/09)

I had these braces just laying to the side in my garage because they wouldn't fit the hatch, and I was just finishing the water to air intercooler on my sedan and noticed there wasn't alot of clearance between the intercooler and my vibrant bar. The vibrant looks really good, but I needed something that would retain that function, but give me the clearance that made me feel comfortable that I will never hear a rattle from it touching my ic. Then I looked over and just thought, why not?, and it pretty much fit right on. The passenger side needed a tiny triangle cut out or hammered down a tad for it to fit(The skin like part from the tower to the firewall). Now I have full function, less weight, and more clearance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts