Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008.5 MS3 that has blown black smoke from the day I brought it home from the dealer. I thought it may have been from engine break-in but I have had it now almost 6 months, and it now has 5000 miles on it. It still blows black smoke.
It has never used a drop of oil. It must be gasoline.
This problem is most evident during acceleration before the car has completely warmed to normal operating temp. and after warm-up when I apply heavy acceleration in almost any gear, especially 2nd.
When I wash the car I clean about 2 inches on the inside of the stock exhaust tip. When I drive it again, it is completely caked in black char in under one mile. I am also getting black smudges on the plastic parts adjacent to the tail pipe.
This cannot be normal. Couldn't unburned gasoline on the inside of the motor lead to the premature wear of the moving parts? I don't think this would wear my engine out before the end of my warranty, but it may before I see 100,000 miles.
My car is completely stock.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
ms3's are running pig rich from stock.... but that much black snow ? thats a little too excessive...... but black smoke with WOT is sorta normal

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Black smoke = fuel. If you go wide open, you'll always get that puff of black smoke initially. It should never keep blowing the black smoke, though. The exhaust tip being black is normal. I gave up on cleaning it...it is now flat black and it looks like it's supposed to be that way--everyone is happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.
I understand that many MS3s are smoking like mine. But I also worry that we might all be in for trouble once the miles begin to add up.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The car will smoke more when it's not up to operating temp because it's running in 'closed loop' mode where it runs richer until it totally warms up.

But the cars run rich anyway. I get the black smoke once in a while when I get on it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
[quote author=Mica07ms3 link=topic=136046.msg2938995#msg2938995 date=1234747013]
The car will smoke more when it's not up to operating temp because it's running in 'closed loop' mode where it runs richer until it totally warms up.

But the cars run rich anyway. I get the black smoke once in a while when I get on it.
[/quote]

Umm, I thought cars run in 'open loop' mode until they warm up and start adjusting things in response to input from the sensors which I thought was called 'closed loop' mode.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
[quote author=fidratt link=topic=136046.msg2939847#msg2939847 date=1234776263]
[quote author=Mica07ms3 link=topic=136046.msg2938995#msg2938995 date=1234747013]

[/quote]

Umm, I thought cars run in 'open loop' mode until they warm up and start adjusting things in response to input from the sensors which I thought was called 'closed loop' mode.
[/quote]

Yea you're probably right but you get what I mean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts