Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has looked into replacing the standard Mazda3's 5-speed manual with the 6-speed manual from the Mazdaspeed3? There's all kinds of press about how the 6-speed fits in the same space as the 5-speed. Has anyone tried this?

The shift into 2nd gear would hit a much better rpm for torque.
Coming out of a right hand turn in 2nd gear would pull away much better.
LSD comes along for the ride.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
the tranny is not impressive at all. not to mention the cost involved in the swap. not only do you need the tranny, you would need the ecu which is designed for DISI. good luck with that. beef up your 5spd for less money. the lsd in the ms3 sucks. ask msp and ms6 guys. they are all made by the same company.

·
Registered
585 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=71881.msg1265525#msg1265525 date=1173820373]
the tranny is not impressive at all. not to mention the cost involved in the swap. not only do you need the tranny, you would need the ecu which is designed for DISI. good luck with that. beef up your 5spd for less money. the lsd in the ms3 sucks. ask msp and ms6 guys. they are all made by the same company.
[/quote]

you do not need an ecu for a manual trans... for the auto yes u need one ....

oh and i used to work at a mazda dealership and ive'd seen the internals of a mazdaspeed trans and they have more beefed up internals specialy 3rd gear...

the cons about doing this would be the cost and finding 1...

and the axles are diferent too u might want to get a hold on new axles too..

and the other thing might be too much trany for too little engine...

it migh keep the revs too high...

my friend has a corolla s with the 1zz engine and installed a xrs trany the 6 speed... and it helped the car in aceleration...

but kept the revs too high on 4 an 5 gear and the engine did not make use of its power band... when he shifted from 3 to 4 the revs whare at 5,500 rpm and the car only revs to 6,500 or so...

I dont know if you understand what i just said jejejeje....\\\

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, that all makes sense. The comments about ECU differences aside (no ECU needed for a shift-it-yourself tranny).
I probably wouldn't do this just to do it. More of a what-if question. If someone twisted up their 5-speed, and had to buy a new trans anyway, it would be nice if the 6 speed would just drop in.

Maybe the better answer would be to swap out 2nd gear, assuming someone designed such a thing (about 1.95:1?).

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
um not to say it cant be done, because I really really want this myself, 5th gear on our car is just stupid, its not an overdrive gear at all, I am always driving around over 3k rpm.

you would probably need to change the final drive gear ratios to line it up where you wanted it to be though.

the other obstacle I see is shifting... our gear shift doesn't have the ability to shift to where the reverse is on those trannies, on the speed 3 and 6 don't you press down and then go to the left and up to get to reverse? to do this swap you would need the sift assembly from inside one of these cars too, likely also the cables to the tranny, one of them probably has a different travel distance to accommodate the extra leg.

if the axles are different too... well that can probably be gotten around.

the best case scenario is to find a speed3 or speed 6 with the back end totaled off and just take whatever you can from it...

I just don't like our 5th gear, its not even an overdrive gear, I basically never shift to 4th to pass. 2200rpm is a nice place to coast at, then downshift as necisary to pass.

what we really need is someone with access to one of these trannys, even if its no longer functional, to see if it would just bolt in to someones 3.

·
Registered
585 Posts
the tranny will bolt up remember it is the sabe 2.3 engine it is just made to handle boost... a denser alumnum block, forged rods, low compresion pistons ect...

but the engine is the same or at least the block ... so the trans will not have any issues mating with the engine...

·
Registered
213 Posts
[quote author=eljose link=topic=71881.msg1266396#msg1266396 date=1173850532]
my friend has a corolla s with the 1zz engine and installed a xrs trany the 6 speed... and it helped the car in aceleration...

but kept the revs too high on 4 an 5 gear and the engine did not make use of its power band... when he shifted from 3 to 4 the revs whare at 5,500 rpm and the car only revs to 6,500 or so...
[/quote]

I bet the engine in the xrs has another 2krpm above what the 1zz engine does. I know nothing about 1zz, but i know xrs likes to rev upto like 7500-8500rpm or something which is why there was so little of the power band on his setup as the engine the xrs tranny is meant for has its power band from like 5k to 8k.

im not sure what the cruise rpm on the MS3 is but if its lower then you would get roughly the same on the Mz3 after the swap.

Kev.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=71881.msg1268533#msg1268533 date=1173933642]
If you just want a different 5th gear hit up NSNMotorsports. He has a 5th gear you can swap out (with instructions) to have lower rpms.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=47528.0

Tell Steve I sent ya ;)
[/quote]

Ya I had thought about that, might do it some day but a 6 speed would be a lot nicer. this would also be a nice mod to do if I ever get around to boosting this car. would have boosted it already but RRSP's, planning for retirement sucks, darn my planning ahead!

[quote author=eljose link=topic=71881.msg1268567#msg1268567 date=1173935031]
the tranny will bolt up remember it is the sabe 2.3 engine it is just made to handle boost... a denser alumnum block, forged rods, low compresion pistons ect...

but the engine is the same or at least the block ... so the trans will not have any issues mating with the engine...
[/quote]

ya I am sure there would be no problem mounting it to the engine.. thats the only part I am sure of. its getting it hocked to the axles, probably not to hard unless there is some seriously different hock-up, doubtful. I cant claim that I know for sure but I would be willing to bet that if you got the tranny and shifter off of a speed 6, maybe the cables too, you would be fine....
tracking one down is the hard part, I have looked a little but unfortunately people who crash there mazdaspeed cars tend to take there front ends with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok I have actually found 2 of these transitions, not anywhere close to my area though, I would not try to ship one of these to canada for somthing that MIGHT work

http://www.car-part.com lists 2 6 speed mazdaspeed6 transitions, neither list a price
part# $ company

2820 $Call Maz - Max, Inc. USA-TX(Houston) Request_Quote 1-800-365-2193

NI0229 $Call Case Used Parts #1 USA-SC(Marion) E-mail 1-800-234-2928

if you are near Houston or Marion you could check on one of them and see if the necessary parts are intact

·
Registered
585 Posts
[quote author=Kovlin link=topic=71881.msg1268638#msg1268638 date=1173940469]
ok I have actually found 2 of these transitions, not anywhere close to my area though, I would not try to ship one of these to canada for somthing that MIGHT work

http://www.car-part.com lists 2 6 speed mazdaspeed6 transitions, neither list a price
part# $ company

2820 $Call Maz - Max, Inc. USA-TX(Houston) Request_Quote 1-800-365-2193

NI0229 $Call Case Used Parts #1 USA-SC(Marion) E-mail 1-800-234-2928

if you are near Houston or Marion you could check on one of them and see if the necessary parts are intact
[/quote]

the ms6 tranny will not work with a mazda 3 ... remember they have 4wheel drive... the tranny has to acomodate the driveshaft for the rear wheels...

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote author=eljose link=topic=71881.msg1269266#msg1269266 date=1173976721]
the ms6 tranny will not work with a mazda 3 ... remember they have 4wheel drive... the tranny has to acomodate the driveshaft for the rear wheels...
[/quote]

Ya now that I think about it you are right but that doesn't mean its not possible.
Correct me if I am wrong but people have confirmed that the speed6 and speed3 use the same transmission, there should be a removable transfer case for the rear wheel drive (cant see it being any different than putting a tranny from a 4x4 truck in a rear wheel drive truck). We would still need a block off plate once it is removed though, could fabricate that up pretty easily or order it out of the speed3 parts book.
The easiest thing would be to get this all out of a speed3 but its going to be a while before there are spares of those floating around.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
WWWWWAAAAASSSSTTTTEEEEE OOOOOFFFFF MMMMOOOONNNEEEEYYYY

·
Registered
585 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=71881.msg1269623#msg1269623 date=1173986728]
WWWWWAAAAASSSSTTTTEEEEE OOOOOFFFFF MMMMOOOONNNEEEEYYYY
[/quote]

why because u say so????

:lol:

just messing with you

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Waste of money?!?
Of course. 99% of performance modifications are a waste of money if it's not something you want.

I hadn't heard of the 5th gear swap. I might consider that, since I'm keeping my car for a long time. Therefore, not a waste of money.

If possible, I'd love to swap out 2nd gear at the same time. That new gear will never pay for itself, but if the cost means I enjoy my daily commute all the more, then it's worth it to me!!

So...
Did I read right that a new 2nd gear ratio would cost a lot more than than the 5th gear swap? Something about 2nd gear being integral to the shaft, versus 5th being separate?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
are you doing this to have a better cruising gear?

if so, like i said before, you're not going to get that. in 6th gear @ 70mph, you're still at ~3000-3200 rpm's.

plus, the lsd is CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts