Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day when shutting my car off in the garage that it made a little sputter that didn't sound like it was coming out of the tail pipe. So I turned my car back on and felt around by the exhaust and sure enough on the back side of the muffler leading to the tail pipe there is a small crack in the weld and air is leaking out. Anyone know if this is covered since it is a Mazdaspeed part and was installed at the dealer? I can't go back to where I got it installed b/c that Mazda dealer closed a few months back.... any ideas?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Any Mazdaspeed accessory or mod with the Green warranty (CBE) carries only a 1 year or 12k miles warranty. Some exhaust sealant should get you by fine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Never used any of it. How does it work? It's a pretty good crack and I don't know if it can handle my driving style. I have a buddy who works in a shop and we were just going to re-weld it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Just some gunk that you apply like silly puddy to cover the crack, then it hardens up. Re-welding would be better anyways so do that.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=HitIt link=topic=138461.msg2985625#msg2985625 date=1236706794]
I think I have heard of another member who had the same CBE crack somewhere.
[/quote]

Happened to me two months after I got mine. Had it replaced under warranty. Then just recently I noticed the same thing. There were cracks again. I just had my bud weld them up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What the hell?! I thought I was being safe by buying Mazda's performance exhaust. If I knew it was going to be a leaky POS I would have bought something else. No warranty on mine either since it's about a year and a half old... bummer....

·
Registered
841 Posts
yeah it seems to be more and more common, mine is cracked on my own car. If you have the recipt from where you bought it from and its less than a year old i can get you a new one under warranty or any mazda dealer should be able to.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=jlarson1983 link=topic=138461.msg2987911#msg2987911 date=1236795320]
yeah it seems to be more and more common, mine is cracked on my own car. If you have the recipt from where you bought it from and its less than a year old i can get you a new one under warranty or any mazda dealer should be able to.
[/quote]

I actually got it from you guys at Tonkin but I'm sure I didn't keep my receipt and I'm pretty sure it's over a year, anyway you can look me up in your system and see when I bought it?

·
Registered
841 Posts
[quote author=buckeyepost link=topic=138461.msg2988268#msg2988268 date=1236804632]
[quote author=jlarson1983 link=topic=138461.msg2987911#msg2987911 date=1236795320]
[/quote]

I actually got it from you guys at Tonkin but I'm sure I didn't keep my receipt and I'm pretty sure it's over a year, anyway you can look me up in your system and see when I bought it?
[/quote]

well i am not with them any more but i sent mazda an email. If you can PM me your name i will call one of the guys over there and have him run it and see when it was.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
couldnt you just run into a muffler place and ask them to weld it up for you? Shouldnt be that expensive.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[/quote]

You replaced my first one and the second did the same. Not impressive welds in the least. But the rest is holding up well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote author=AFcadet link=topic=138461.msg2988552#msg2988552 date=1236811145]
couldnt you just run into a muffler place and ask them to weld it up for you? Shouldnt be that expensive.
[/quote]
Mine cracked almost all the way around the pipe. Drove to muffler shop and had them weld for $10.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PM sent, thanks for checking into it for me. Just curious, is everyone else's crack in the same spot? On the outlet of the muffler connecting to the tailpipe?

·
Registered
841 Posts
[quote author=buckeyepost link=topic=138461.msg2989688#msg2989688 date=1236859618]
PM sent, thanks for checking into it for me. Just curious, is everyone else's crack in the same spot? On the outlet of the muffler connecting to the tailpipe?
[/quote]
everyone i have seen has been in the same spot.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=jlarson1983 link=topic=138461.msg2990125#msg2990125 date=1236874520]
[quote author=buckeyepost link=topic=138461.msg2989688#msg2989688 date=1236859618]
[/quote]
everyone i have seen has been in the same spot.
[/quote]

My current was cracked on input and output.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate to bring back an old thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one.

I just installed my MS CBE this morning and can't get rid of an exhaust leak where the pipe going to the cat and the muffler pipe meet. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a good way to fix it? I also have a horrible burning smell from under the car I have never experienced with a new exhaust. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
If you're talking about the connection at the bend that requires a clamp you're fine. It's impossible to totally close up that little hole. Over time it carbons up a bit. The burning smell I wouldn't worry about unless it doesn't go away. Cosmoline coatings and such can sometimes smell.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=138461.msg3128206#msg3128206 date=1242573260]
If you're talking about the connection at the bend that requires a clamp you're fine. It's impossible to totally close up that little hole. Over time it carbons up a bit. The burning smell I wouldn't worry about unless it doesn't go away. Cosmoline coatings and such can sometimes smell.
[/quote]

+1

same thing happened to me when i installed my DP (i know this isn't a DP thread, but this is with reference to the coatings inside that can smell). for 2-3 weeks after the install, it would occasionally smoke. i got a bit anxious when it smoked after i drop all the way from NJ to SC...i couldn't believe that a coating could have survived that amount of operation, but it disappeared for good shortly after that. it's been a good 6 months since that, and i'm still smoke free...:D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[/quote]

it's been a good 6 months since that, and i'm still smoke free...:D
[/quote]

Congratulations!! It's a tough habit to kick :smokin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts