Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, one more thing about this new Mazda3. I have 1500 yet I cannot get more than 290 miles on a full tank (I'll actually be just short by the time i refuel here).

I read that I should expect 320-350 (500????) miles per tank with the 2.3liter. Is there something wrong, or something I can do, add something to teh fuel, whatever, to get better mileage? The big 3 mod help here? I only have a 350 watt amp in the trunk, nothing near the system most you guys have (BTW, every deep bass hit dropped the voltage from roughly 14+ to 13.0 volts at the bat, but thats much louder than i normally play the stereo). I have been driving like a grandma.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I have a mtx and the first 3 month of having the car I would get 280 at the gallon now I get like 320 is just the break in period that was taking fuel after my first oil change it went up. I have only 4,300 miles in my h/b

·
Registered
517 Posts
remember that we have a 14.5 gallon fuel tank. So even if your light is on you usually have another couple of gallons. My MPG was worse during break in. I changed all fluids to full synthetic, a K&N filter, and use premium fuel and I am getting an average of 24-25 MPG in the city. That is with mediocre driving. Sometimes getting on it and somtimes driving mellow.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Got an 07 HB touring with ATX back in the middle of February. So far I have about 1500 miles on it and I am getting about 30 - 33 mpg highway and about 22-23mpg in the city with heavy stop and go traffic and a lot of hills. Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary to me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
wow, i thought the 5-speed auto of the 06-07's would make a big difference compared to my 4-speed 05 in gas mileage, but it seems thats untrue. and, i drive my 3 the way it should be driven, fun and fast. glad i didn't upgrade to an 07, ill bet mine is faster stock too. i don't know all the technical crap on gearing, but i would assume 4 gears would get you there faster than 5, but cruising with 5 should get you better mileage. is this correct?

thanks,
tim

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had my three for about 2 months now and it has 4k miles on the odo. I started out only being able to get about 270 miles per tank, but at about 1500 miles i was putting about 310-320 miles per tank and putting in around 11 gallons of fuel, i drive about an even 50/50 split between city and highway and average driving not too slow but not too fast either. I have a '07 MTX hatch. I guess it would just depend on the type of driving you do as far as gas mileage.

Edited for spelling :?

·
Registered
317 Posts
[quote author=dluv link=topic=73732.msg1309273#msg1309273 date=1175617472]
Hey guys, one more thing about this new Mazda3. I have 1500 yet I cannot get more than 290 miles on a full tank (I'll actually be just short by the time i refuel here).I have been driving like a grandma.

Thanks.
[/quote]

I have an 07 2.3 S-GT ATX and was getting right about what you were getting when I first had it. Now I'm usually at 300 miles or a little over when I get gas but my light isn't on. I usually put in about 11 gallons or so. On my recent trip to SoCal from the bay area I got 31 mpg and went 344 miles on 11.098 gallons. I now have 7K miles on my car and see a little bit better mileage but I'm still averaging 24-25 mpg with mixed city and highway driving.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I turned on the trip computer using the guide here in the forums and i have noticed that mazda has apparently programmed in a failsafe for idiot, because i was driving and the trip computer said i had 30ish some odd miles left on the tank when the fuel light came on, so i went to the gas station and filled up a whole 11.9 gallons, its a 14.5 gallon tank and at the gas mileage that I am getting i should have had something like 75-80 miles left not 35 and it seemed odd the fuel light came on so early, in my old beetle when it came on you needed to get to a gas station fast cause there was at most 1 gallon left in the tank.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.