Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I don't feel like searching through pages and pages of threads. I want a 05-07 3 (probably i touring). Is their any stock player that reads mp3 discs? I must have that because i'm slowly converting all my CD's to mp3 discs.

I want to avoid aftermarket for now, unless I can do aftermarket and keep the two sweet knobs between the unit and the air controls.

Let me know on both questions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noone?

I did a little research and if i'm not mistaken, on the 07, only the non-Bose 6 disc changer has mp3 capabilities.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The good news is that there's a unit that does what you want. The bad news is that it isn't standard on any Mazda3, and that it's an expensive option (although it is an OEM accessory). Doesn't matter if you have the Bose system or not, you can still get a unit that will work.

For the '05 you can get a single-disc CD player that will read MP3 CDs. This is different than the standard single-disc CD player.

For the '06-'07 you can get a 6-disc changer that will read MP3 CDs. Again, this is different than the standard single-disc CD player or the 6-disc player that comes in the moonroof/6CD package.

Expect to pay at least $250 for the '05 model and at least $400 for the '06-'07 model.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the sound good (I'm getting an i touring, dunno if that factors into it)?

and would the exterior temperature guage work?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=Clinton70 link=topic=71990.msg1269413#msg1269413 date=1173981296]
Is the sound good (I'm getting an i touring, dunno if that factors into it)?
[/quote]

I honestly don't know, I don't have an MP3 CD player. I use an iPod and an aftermarket integration system instead (which ended up being a LOT cheaper since I already had an iPod).

As long as you have relatively high-quality MP3s (256k bit rate and above) I wouldn't think it would sound significantly different than playing an actual CD, though. It isn't going to sound any better than the stock stereo, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i might just go with an aftermarket. $420 before ship is high.
I wonder if I can keep the clock though and the exterior temp guage. (doubt it)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=Clinton70 link=topic=71990.msg1269427#msg1269427 date=1173981823]
i might just go with an aftermarket. $420 before ship is high.
I wonder if I can keep the clock though and the exterior temp guage. (doubt it)
[/quote]

On an '06 or '07 you can definitely keep the temp gauge, although depending on which dash kit you go with you may have to mod it a bit. The clock I'm fairly sure you can keep, you do loose the ability to set it, though (since the buttons are on the stereo).

On the '04 and '05 the LCD is pert of the stereo, so with an aftermarket stereo they're gone.

If you just want to play MP3s through the stock stereo it's worth taking a look at the AudioLink, though:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=34982.0

It's the unit I've been using, and I've been very pleased with it. If you've got an iPod you can hook directly into it, or if you just want to copy your MP3s to a cheap thumb drive they've got a unit for that, too. It's not for everyone, but since it integrates into the stock stereo your steering wheel controls still work and you don't have to deal with the LCD or dash kit fitting.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=Clinton70 link=topic=71990.msg1269506#msg1269506 date=1173983827]
Ah, the steering wheel controls go byebye with an aftermarket, also?
[/quote]

There are ways to make them work on some systems, but they don't automatically work. Generally it involves some sort of adapter that converts the steering wheel controls into IR remote signals. Some have a lot of delay, some require you to really mash the buttons, but in general it doesn't work nearly as well as the stock stereo.

·
Registered
258 Posts
check ebay since guys are probably trying to get rid of the old unit since they put in a aftermarket one.... i would if it wasnt such a pain in the ass... might be cheaper than having to pay top dollar for a crappy stereo.... $500 for a stock unit is alot of cash for what it is... but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71990.msg1269599#msg1269599 date=1173986094]
check ebay since guys are probably trying to get rid of the old unit since they put in a aftermarket one.... i would if it wasnt such a pain in the ass... might be cheaper than having to pay top dollar for a crappy stereo.... $500 for a stock unit is alot of cash for what it is... but thats just my opinion
[/quote]

The problem is that since the MP3 stereo is an option (and isn't included in any packages) if someone opted to spend the extra $500 and buy the MP3 unit the chances are they aren't going to be replacing it with an aftermarket unit. People do sell the stock stereos on eBay but they're almost never the MP3 units, they're the bare-bones stock units..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is install of aftermarket easy? I see 06 trim panels on the net but not 07's, I assume they stayed the same from '06. Any other tools/stuff needed?

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Im just sticking with the stock unit and putting in a Audo Control LC6i unit that is a LOC more or less but has more options to it like summing... just have to install it into the head unit or the bose amp that is under my seat... they are making these things now cause you will lose some functions if you do aftermarket.... aftermarket sounds better but is a pain to install cause you have to do alot to make it fit compared to some cars.... i know one of the audio control units allows you to plug a MP3 player into it and play it through your car system... that is if you have a MP3 player

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=Clinton70 link=topic=71990.msg1279191#msg1279191 date=1174415009]
Would this mp3 CD unit be easy to find at salvage junk yards or is it doubtful?
[/quote]

It definitely wouldn't be easy. They just don't seem to sell that many in the first place since it's something that the buyer has to explicitly request.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I just got a 2007 Mazda 3 with the stock CD player. The manual says it will play MP3 cds but when I stick one in the player, it just plays track 1 forever with no sound. Is there a certain brand of CD-Rs I should try?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=flair link=topic=71990.msg1289053#msg1289053 date=1174792334]
Hi I just got a 2007 Mazda 3 with the stock CD player. The manual says it will play MP3 cds but when I stick one in the player, it just plays track 1 forever with no sound. Is there a certain brand of CD-Rs I should try?
[/quote]Unless it says on the load area "mp3" then it can't. If you have like a base model 3 it definitely won't have it. It was a fairly expensive option

1 - 20 of 27 Posts