Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was sitting, and talking with my friend. And I was wondering what it would be like to have an awd 3... What are you're thoughts, I know it will be pricey, but what do you think I will need to change and anything else you have to add.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry about putting this thread here, it don't let me post in powertrain... idk why thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see though here's the thing... I got a junk yard here that you give them ten bucks and you can take anything you can carry for ten. And I was thinking maybe if I took the parts off another already awd car, I could turn in the parts for fabrication, and possibly to a cheap swap? I also wanted a 6 speed... I don't like hatchbacks, so that's why I didn't get the speed. I got 7500 already into the car, and I am about to throw a t3t4 into it. It's already got most the components... I would appreciate more input...

·
Registered
358 Posts
No offense... but if you are asking about the conversion here you are not ready to put an AWD system in your car. Unless you have a buttload of cash to pay someone to do all custom work... I'm guessing it would cost at least 2-3 times what you already have in the car.

Think about it. The car is set up for FWD, there is no space for a rear pumpkin or driveshaft, whole floor would have to be redone... nevermind, the electronics. If you really want a 3 sedan with AWD, go buy a cheap subie and make a lifesize picture of your car and tape it to the side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am ready! lol believe me, I just want to stand beside evo's and sti's with AWD... I know it's an ass load of work just looking for some insight, I don't know everything, and there most likely would be some stuff I wouldn't know to do... that's why i posted here to get opinions, that life size picture thing was funny.

But to tell you the truth I love mazda don't want to drive anything else, I've owned an RX7, and a mazda 3... and they are dreams compared to the honda civic I used to have... so as far as awd goes I want this dream to come true.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Go for it man! :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yes its a hard project - no doubt. Can be done though with the right parts. And would probably cost about what you already have in the car.

[quote author=Badgerspeed link=topic=135824.msg2925445#msg2925445 date=1234235591]
No offense... but if you are asking about the conversion here you are not ready to put an AWD system in your car. Unless you have a buttload of cash to pay someone to do all custom work... I'm guessing it would cost at least 2-3 times what you already have in the car.

Think about it. The car is set up for FWD, there is no space for a rear pumpkin or driveshaft, whole floor would have to be redone... nevermind, the electronics. If you really want a 3 sedan with AWD, go buy a cheap subie and make a lifesize picture of your car and tape it to the side.
[/quote]

There are various ways to go about doing it some hard and some easier - Its not about persuading him to do it or NOT to do it. The car was already made with AWD in mind so dont go on about having no space for this or that. If you know these things as a fact - sure, if not - than dont state anything as such. Let the guy dream and if he is ambitious enough - it'll happen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, I'll post pics when I get them...

·
Registered
358 Posts
[quote author=dimaorlov link=topic=135824.msg2925968#msg2925968 date=1234245624]
Yes its a hard project - no doubt. Can be done though with the right parts. And would probably cost about what you already have in the car.

[quote author=Badgerspeed link=topic=135824.msg2925445#msg2925445 date=1234235591]

[/quote]

There are various ways to go about doing it some hard and some easier - Its not about persuading him to do it or NOT to do it. The car was already made with AWD in mind so dont go on about having no space for this or that. If you know these things as a fact - sure, if not - than dont state anything as such. Let the guy dream and if he is ambitious enough - it'll happen.
[/quote]

I think the guy can dream all he wants. He thought my post was funny so what is the harm to try and give a dose of reality. It seems you know a lot about the 3... give him a realistic quote of what it costs, instead of bashing my opinion. Help him out... trust me I would love to see it done.

And I will eat my words... apparently it is possible if you got connections with Japan. Sounds like big bucks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=DUCK link=topic=135824.msg2925693#msg2925693 date=1234239988]
I am ready! lol believe me, I just want to stand beside evo's and sti's with AWD... I know it's an ass load of work just looking for some insight, I don't know everything, and there most likely would be some stuff I wouldn't know to do... that's why i posted here to get opinions, that life size picture thing was funny.

But to tell you the truth I love mazda don't want to drive anything else, I've owned an RX7, and a mazda 3... and they are dreams compared to the honda civic I used to have... so as far as awd goes I want this dream to come true.
[/quote]

why dont you just get a good LSD and get an amazing set of coilovers made (yes i said made.......no off the shelf crap) then have them professionally tuned for your car. will be cheaper and will handle better.

dont take this the wrong way........but i have been on MANY forums and this pipe dream always comes up and never gets past the point of someone buying a rear subframe from an AWD car that may or may not fit.....then it dies. the only cars converted to AWD are the ones unknown of untill they post a video up.

http://www.sr20forum.com/general-sr20/201197-ever-seen-awd-usdm-sentra-now-u-have.html

^example of a completed AWD conversion on an se-r

·
Registered
476 Posts
Try searching the forum. There was an outfit somewhere who did all the research and said it could be done to an MS3 - the floorpan is built for it and the parts are available (including a different fuel tank) - but the cost was so high that they didn't get any takers.

Instead, they're developing a rear wheel drive MS3. Now -that- would be interesting. Easier and cheaper to do, as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rear wheel drive 3? lol what do you mean by cheaper, that kind of took my attention when you said cheaper lol

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
[quote author=Badgerspeed link=topic=135824.msg2926172#msg2926172 date=1234267288]
[quote author=dimaorlov link=topic=135824.msg2925968#msg2925968 date=1234245624]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the guy can dream all he wants. He thought my post was funny so what is the harm to try and give a dose of reality. It seems you know a lot about the 3... give him a realistic quote of what it costs, instead of bashing my opinion. Help him out... trust me I would love to see it done.

And I will eat my words... apparently it is possible if you got connections with Japan. Sounds like big bucks.
[/quote]

When I priced out whats neccessary for the conversion I came to about $6800 in parts, with some needing abit of custom attention. I can do the work myself - which would include things like fabrication of exhaust, some mounts, and installation.

It took a long time, between a few people across the country, and alot of sifting through Mazda manuals and exploded views.

RWD was my initial idea and its straight forward in the sense that you dont have to mess with AWD.
Fabbing/retrofitting a few subframe for the front, and modifying the firewall/tunnel and a whole lot of rerouting of wiring and hoses turned me off from the idea. The car would be awesome in RWD configuration, maybe when its 10 years old and sitting in my garage - then Ill tear it apart.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if I brought my car to you could you help me with this, it would be alot easier with some help RWD or AWD I just want to switch it around do something a little new. I'm willing to fork up the money and do the work to realize my dream, plus it would probably make a sick thread and it would be just plain amazing.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
way to bring up an old thread :) ... but doesn't the j-pan 3 option awd? besides it was already done to the ms3. and anything suspension-wise bolts up to the non-speed 3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts