·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help man... when i first looked at speakers, I was looking at the KS68 kickers. I also bought the 12" L5 Solobarics for my car and i was gonna make them all the same and then i found these kenwoods. I have a 400 watt 4 channel kenwood amplifier and i figured it would be easier to match the amp and speakers and it would probably sound better that way too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i cant believe someone bought those POS kenwoods.... sooooooooo ghetto

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the kenwoods are such a POS as you like to put it, Then WTMFF do you consider top of the line :screwy:

·
Registered
258 Posts
JL Audio is top notch... even their entry level stuff sounds better than Kenwoods so called top level.

Ive always thought of Kenwood as junk from the beginning.. i have never owned anything by them and never will... Ive heard stuff at stereo comps... laughed after hearing the stuff.. cause its muddy and overly bright... no tonal range at all

hell, i would never buy stuff from best buy or circuit city cause all the stuff they have there is garbage... need to go to a specialty store...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have to agree with plazma here...although i won't go on a rant about how horrible kenwoods are. While just about any speaker will sound better than stock, if you are going to spend money on a new system you might as well get some quality components. I'm not sure what your budget is, but $100 will get you a decent pair of coaxials. If you need to stay around $50-60, these might be a better choice:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB650

There is no reason to match your speakers to your amplifier in terms of brand, as long as the power and impedance is matched. Also, round speakers sound better than oval and have less distortion at high volume levels. Round speakers, however, will not fit in the stock location so if you were planning to do this install yourself you will need to buy or fabricate a mounting ring.

·
Registered
258 Posts
ive seen JL Audio TL series go for high 60s to high 80s.. i think the Polk sound good for what they are.. the momos do sound way better than the dbs but of course you pay more.. put on car domain.. you can knock down the price if you shop around... go to some place like sonic electronix and they will match and beat the price... crutchfield wont even do that, thats why they suck... i hate paying retail... when i bought my HDTV, i went into best buy and bought it at cost... but i talked to a manager and said i can get it cheaper elsewhere... which i could and he went at cost to sell it...

Some companies are better at making amps than speakers and vice versa..... i would never buy anything sony cept for their ES modules, their amps and speakers suck, they dont make true amps.. they are very over rated... even on their home theatre stuff

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well there is one thing i can agree on with with is that Sony sucks balls. :bash: My girlfriend bought a pair on sony 10s and a 480 sony amp and it sucked royally, my two 10" MTX and the 250 MTX amp i had at the time pwned it totally. But i would buy the polks, also, im not putting any bass into the door speakers either so the distortion wont matter that much.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
[quote author=plazma link=topic=70693.msg1244791#msg1244791 date=1172866947]
[/quote]

Wow... how helpful.

[quote author=plazma link=topic=70693.msg1255772#msg1255772 date=1173333440]
JL Audio is top notch... even their entry level stuff sounds better than Kenwoods so called top level.

Ive always thought of Kenwood as junk from the beginning.. i have never owned anything by them and never will... Ive heard stuff at stereo comps... laughed after hearing the stuff.. cause its muddy and overly bright... no tonal range at all

hell, i would never buy stuff from best buy or circuit city cause all the stuff they have there is garbage... need to go to a specialty store...
[/quote]

JL Audio is good, although far overpriced for what they are... there are a lot of other options that will sound as good without the price tag.

Check out CDT and eD (elemental designs.. www.edesignaudio.com) for excellent speakers without the "ooooo.... JL" tax. Some people really like Focal as well, might be worth giving a listen... I find them a bit harsh in the trebles for my tastes...

Anyways, the one piece of advice that I will agree with 100% from plazma is to avoid CC and places like that... go find yourself a good local car audio shop. Take along a CD you love and tour the different brands... different sets. See what sounds good to your ear.

·
Registered
258 Posts
[quote author=BCZoomZoom link=topic=70693.msg1262888#msg1262888 date=1173718497]
[quote author=plazma link=topic=70693.msg1244791#msg1244791 date=1172866947]
[/quote]

Wow... how helpful.

[quote author=plazma link=topic=70693.msg1255772#msg1255772 date=1173333440]

[/quote]

JL Audio is good, although far overpriced for what they are... there are a lot of other options that will sound as good without the price tag.

Check out CDT and eD (elemental designs.. www.edesignaudio.com) for excellent speakers without the "ooooo.... JL" tax. Some people really like Focal as well, might be worth giving a listen... I find them a bit harsh in the trebles for my tastes...

Anyways, the one piece of advice that I will agree with 100% from plazma is to avoid CC and places like that... go find yourself a good local car audio shop. Take along a CD you love and tour the different brands... different sets. See what sounds good to your ear.
[/quote]

I have never heard the CDTs... heard mixed things.. never sure until you really hear them.. but the eD stuff is good.. i have their 10 inch sub.... i was close to getting their 6500 comps over the XR650s from JL but i got a better deal on the JLs. The 6500s are like 250... from what i heard the ones below that arent worth a shit... only ones to use are the 6500s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts