Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be taking a trip next month from Riverside, CA to the Sequoia National Park. I have never done any kind of mountain driving and was wondering a few things about my 2006 4spd Auto 2.0L:

1. My car has ~34,100 miles. I am going to get the oil changed and brakes inspected before I take the trip. Anything else I need to do?

2. The NPS recommends in certain driving paths to save your brakes by engaging in L, 1, or 2, how would I do that in my car? Using the manual mode?

3. Any general tips for this car for mountain driving?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Tires, brakes, fluids, enjoy!

The manual mode is perfect for mountian driving, both up and down hill. Holding in gear between 3 - 5k and you'll be having a blast and not overheating your brakes.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
NPS?

yes, manual mode is perfect for that (like danielj says)...use 3rd gear (or 2nd but prolly not) to maintain a lower speed on downhill grades.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park are amazing, home of the largest trees on Earth. If you haven't seen them, no picture or description can do them justice. Don't forget Crystal Cave.

While going downhill, manually shift the transmission into lower gears to control downhill speed. Using the brakes exclusively will quickly overheat them. Living in Riverside you could easily go to Arrowhead & Big Bear to practice your skills.

Have fun & don't forget your camera.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=Vanguard link=topic=139106.msg2997884#msg2997884 date=1237233925]
Thanks for the responses! I expect it should be a good drive.
[/quote]

I would keep my eye on the temp while climbing, slightly brake before shifting into lower gears, as said before keep revs between 3-5k when climbing, and as you gain speed get out of 3rd (you'll be there mostly) into 4th, and don't be afraid to pull the handbrake at one or two clicks to aid in slowing down in case you lost brakes (hope this doesn't happen to you, but good to know).

I dunno how the mountains are here in the US, but back home I have done a GREAT deal of mountain driving in hot hatches, it can be tricky with blind corners and PLENTY of hair pin curves great to practice your scandinavian flick :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure about down there but the wildlife crossing the road can put a spot on the seat but that could be the least of your problem, Drive with care but certainly enjoy it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
[quote author=Vanguard link=topic=139106.msg2997676#msg2997676 date=1237230052]

3. Any general tips for this car for mountain driving?

Many thanks in advance!
[/quote]

SLOW IN, FAST OUT!

If your mountain roads are like ours here in NC, nice and twisty, that is!

Phillip

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=H2O Speed link=topic=139106.msg3004032#msg3004032 date=1237470395]
I'm not sure about down there but the wildlife crossing the road can put a spot on the seat but that could be the least of your problem, Drive with care but certainly enjoy it.
[/quote]

we don't have much deer in cali, but there are rabbits in the spring sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts