Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone knows what is the oil grade for the Sport GT (2.3L) ?

I guess it is 5W20 ? It seems to be a growing grade in term of popularity, I have seen several new car using that rare grade.

·
Registered
94 Posts
5w20 is the way the world is going with new engines, thats what the 2,3L 6 uses, so I'm guesing it won't change :p

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
From a guy that has the 2.3L Mazda6:

5W20 year round. I use Motorcraft 5W20. It's only $1.70 per quart and it's marketed as "semi-synthetic" even though ALL 5W20 is "semi-synthetic".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mobil 1 which is what I use in my Miata and most of the time in the Protege does not market a 5w-20 but instead sells a 0w-20. That is what I will be using in the 3 as soon as it is time to change for the first time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you do a web search on motor oil viscosity, you will find out that 0w-20 is a direct replacement for vehical recommending 5w-20. A good site to check out is www.amsoil.com If you read Mobil1 0w-20, the bottle itself states it is a direct replacement for 5w-20. I did alot of homework on this. If you would like to use regular 5w-20 oil, it's available anywhere. If you want to switch to synthetic 5w-20, the only brands that make it are Amsoil (www.amsoil.com) and Royal Purple (www.royalpurple.com). Myself, I am going with the Mobile1 0w-20 synthetic since Mobil1 synthetic is all I have used and all I will use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts