Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone knows what is the oil grade for the Sport GT (2.3L) ?

I guess it is 5W20 ? It seems to be a growing grade in term of popularity, I have seen several new car using that rare grade.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Yes, 5W20.

It's not that rare....most "newer" cars use it. Thinner, for tighter components maybe? I don't know...but that's my guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info,

yes the lower the difference are between the two numbers the higher the oil quality is. I've seen that oil used in the latest Ford Focus and Honda Accord.

In mean rare in term of synthetic oil. I've seen the major mineral brands (Castrol, Quaker State and Penzoil) now with 5W20 but in synthetic there is the 0W20 from Mobil 1 that might do the trick.

Here is a text from the Mobil 1 website about the 0W20 oil:

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-20 is the ideal motor oil for high-revving and high-output four- and six-cylinder engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 is only recommended where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 viscosity is specified. Mobil 1 0W-20 is particularly appropriate for any 1998-2003 Honda Accord, and 1996-2003 Honda Civics (except DOHC/VTEC). It exceeds the motor oil requirements for the ultra-fuel-efficient Honda Insight and Civic Hybrid models, which specify using a 0W-20 viscosity grade.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-20 is an advanced viscosity grade designed to enhance the overall efficiency of high-revving engines. Capable of pumping at -58º F and pouring at -71º F (-50º C and -57º C), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-20 provides a protection system for the most extreme driving conditions. In addition, Mobil 1 0W-20 offers fuel economy benefits and superior cleaning power compared to 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So we can use 0w20 as a substitue to 5w20 ? Definetly Iam going to change to using synthetic oil once it reaches 1000km. Also I have a question the dealer and Mazda suggest that my first oil change should take place when I reach 8000km. But I have heard from a couple people that I should have my first oil changed when I reach 1000km. So which rule should I follow to have my car run smoothly.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I would never wait for 8000kms even if Mazda says it's fine. If you plan to keep the car for a while (6+years) and depending on where (cold or hot climate) and how long (short trip with stop and go or long highway) you drive it, I would even go to 4000kms intervals as I did on the PRO when I was driving over 30K/yr.

·
Registered
154 Posts
0w20 mobil one meets the ford/mazda requirements.
There are more 1st oil change theorys than you prollycare to discuss, most ppl would agree on something between 800 and 1500 miles (I dont know kilometers ;) )
After that its up to you 3k is good for hard driving/city 5k for mostly highway or somewhere in between.
Bottom line: keep it changed regulary, before it turns to tar and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think that first oil change at 1000kms (or some low number) is an old myth. It applies to rebuilt, high performance hot rod type engines. Regaulrdless, I think it is practice of the past.

I advised my Dad when he bought his honda to get the oil cahnged early too. He took it to a dealer and they refused to do it! Something about additives in the oil. They are designed from the outset to adhere to a regular oil change schedule and do net need it done early.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It depends. Some manufacturors add "conditioner" or "protector" in the oil. The first oil change shouldn't be performed too earlier. VW/Audi are one of those.

Others prerun the engine before delivery. there is no additive within the oil, so owner can change the oil anytime, no restriction what so ever. Hyundai is one of those. (but then changing the oil at 1000km is like a waste of money)

I don't know about Mazda. We should follow the recommendation given in the user manual. Always trust the car maker.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Bah! I think oil is just a scheme to make us spend even MORE money, as consumers. I mean, look at my car. I've gone almost 100,000 with only one oil change.

Yeah... not really, but wouldn't it be cool is we could find a lubricant which would allow us to do that and could be used for "Intimacy"

There's my life long goal, right there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went out this afternoon to get an early oil change. I wanted to use the Mobil 1 recommend 0w-20. That was my first stumbling blockas my local Walmart was sold out. The next thing was the filter type. They said it was a canister, and they did not show one, or normally do those.

Time to do some research. They did say the filter was in a very serviceable spot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We don't seem to have Mobil1 0w20 yet available in Canada... unless I go to a local speed shop and get the Amsoil 5w20.

I did some research on the internet and I couldn't find what oil filter model is needed. If someone knows what FRAM, Purolator or even K&N number the car uses please let us know !

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I'm in Canada so I follow Mazda's schedule maintenance which is 8000k 0r 4 months. Whichever comes first. That's also what my dealer follows. I trust the opinion of the ones that built the car and that's Mazda.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The oil change every 3000 miles thing is not needed on newer cars. Just follow what the manual says. My dad's new Carrera 4S isn't supposed to have it's first change for what seems like an unreasonable amount of time. It just depends on what the manufacturer specifies. The Mazda3 manual has two different schedules for oil changes...one for every 5000 and one for every 7500 miles. The 5000 is for conditions that are harder on the engine...check your manuals for an explaination.

Just remember who's telling you when to change your oil--if the oil change makes them money, they'll tell you to change it more often.

·
Registered
882 Posts
My dealer told me 8000 for my first change or 4 months (I think I was 5000 when 5 months came due so I went in then. No point in doing it sooner than what they suggest. Hell even doing it sooner than 5000kms (about 3000miles) is silly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I will get my first oil change done when I hit 2k. However I have a question is if switch to synthectic motor oil and decide to switch back to the regular motor oil later on will it be ok for me to do so or I have to stick to Synthectic motor oil forever after I make the switch to it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I will get my first oil change done when I hit 2k. However I have a question is if switch to synthectic motor oil and decide to switch back to the regular motor oil later on will it be ok for me to do so or I have to stick to Synthectic motor oil forever after I make the switch to it?
There is no problem whatsoever in switching back and forth between synthetic and petroleum based oil.

There is an issue but it's different: the synthetic oil is rarely, if not ever, used during break-in period, because the low friction property is not appropriate for such purpose. Giving the fact that the spring tension/friction of the piston rings of the MZR engine is low, you better not switching too soon to synthetic oil. If I was you, I would stick with the manual, and keep whatever the oil that Mazda have put inside the engine until 5000 km.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I think 8000kms/5000miles is too long. I usually do it at about 4000-5000kms on the PRO, even though it's still clean at that mileage.

If you see "used/burnt" oil, it's too late...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts