Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My motor almost fell out again!!

I have an 07 MS3 bought in May 2007. I had the motor mount bolt replaced during the recall. A few months later it failed (around April-May 2008). The bolt had backed out, and sheared through the last few threads. I heard this loud bang, followed by clunk-clunk noises and immediately pulled over into a gas station. I was fortunate to be on the right lane at 30 mph in 3rd gear. I had it towed to Jim Ellis Mazda of Marietta (GA). They told me that the Engineers from Mazda had a look at it and the whole mount and the bolt was replaced under warranty. They also promised me that they would work with Mazda corp into providing me with an extended warranty, and inspect my mounts every time I come in for a service. I never heard anything again regarding the warranty, and I assumed it was a freak occurrence, never to happen again.

But over the past two weeks I've been hearing a slight clunking noise especially during slow turns, so I took it back to the dealer again on last Monday (03/02/09) to have them look at it. They found that the steering rack flow control valve was popping at times and replaced it under warranty. I had also asked them to have a look at my mounts, just to be sure. I got my car back on Thursday and was told that my mounts were fine. But on Friday I still had those clunking sound on slow turns and while pulling out of parking lots/backing up. I also noticed some odd vibrations on the clutch pedal while giving gas and during idle. The last time had had these vibrations were just before the motor mount failed on me. So I decided to have a look into my mounts. I also noticed that my clock and trip meters were not reset. If the dealer had inspected my mounts they would've been reset when the battery is being removed. That raised my suspicions.

Anyways i removed the battery and tried turning the mount bolt. I was shocked when I could turn it with just one hand. I immediately called the dealer and asked them what to do. The asked to bring the car over after tightening it, or get it towed if I couldn't. I tightened the bolt and it took me about 6 turns to fully tighten it!!! :shock: The bolt was almost out! Thank God, I caught it before something serious had occurred. According to the dealer, he is gonna have the Mazda Engineers take a look at it. I will keep you posted on the resolution.

But I'm getting pissed off with this! Especially the dealership, I am completely losing my confidence with them. I was considering a new Ice Blue Mazda6 for my wife from that dealer. Now I'm having serious second thoughts ...

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I really hope that you have a jack under the motor and jacked it just a tad bit..before trying to screw in the bolt. or else, it really did not get locked down.
Bolt threads are not strong enough to pull up something like a motor.

sorry to hear.
i am going to check mine this week too, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This...

will take all your worries away.

I don't understand why they don't use any threadlock on those bolts. All of mine have been done, none were loose, but I still put threadlock on them simply for piece of mind.

TIM

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Tim, Noob. According to the dealer the bolt comes with some thread locking compound preapplied. The last time they changed the mount they showed me the bold with the thread locking compound on it. But it was just a thin line on one side of the bolt. May be that didn't do the job. Anyways will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
422 Posts
that's somewhat disheartening. Jim Ellis is my dealer that I go to (I go to the one on Peachtree Industrial). HOpefully everything will work out for you. I know that new bolt that they are supposed to use is definitely supposed to have loctite on it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=138343.msg2981600#msg2981600 date=1236529024]
Bolt threads are not strong enough to pull up something like a motor.
[/quote]

Too an extent, they actually can. You should not actually force it to but a motor mount bolt can pick up on one side of a motor/transmission. Of course, I've never had the displeasure of trying this with our heavy 6 speed transmission mount/bolt.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have had a very similar experience. Luckily my engine never fell, but I had the recall performed and then 6 months later had a loose bolt. I installed a new mount bolt (torque to yield bolt, so dont reuse it) with extra red loctite and torqued it myself.

Now I know what to listen for. If you hear a clunking noise under power, check your motor mount bolt!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dude, that blows! My motor fell too and it was not a good feeling.... if it happens again after warranty I'll never buy another Mazda again....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Where did you get the new bolt? Is there a part number for it? Thanks

[quote author=stugotz99 link=topic=138343.msg2983222#msg2983222 date=1236614075]
I have had a very similar experience. Luckily my engine never fell, but I had the recall performed and then 6 months later had a loose bolt. I installed a new mount bolt (torque to yield bolt, so dont reuse it) with extra red loctite and torqued it myself.

Now I know what to listen for. If you hear a clunking noise under power, check your motor mount bolt!!!
[/quote]

·
Registered
182 Posts
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=138343.msg2984479#msg2984479 date=1236649795]
all you folks with loose bolts..do you all drive really hard ?
red line shifts and all ?
just wondering..
[/quote]

My SU rear MM came loose after about a month of hard driving.. I just re tightened it, put some locktite on it this time around like a smart person & its been good ever since! Its always good to check mounts and what not periodically to ensure their on tight...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=138343.msg2984479#msg2984479 date=1236649795]
all you folks with loose bolts..do you all drive really hard ?
red line shifts and all ?
just wondering..
[/quote]

Nope. I do drive spiritedly at times, but never red lined the car. In fact I rarely go above 4500 RPM. That probably helped me identify those clicking sounds which were barely audible, every time I hit or release gas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the update.

The dealership says they inspected the mounts during my previous visit and checked the bolt torques using a torque wrench. In a normal case that would mean removing the battery and resetting the trip meter, but mine wasn't. When asked how they could do that with out removing the battery/battery tray; they answer was they have ways - (remove the battery tray with the battery in it?) Go figure.

According to the dealership, they have inspected the mount and put back the bolt with loctite on it. I thought there bolts were single use ones. In-fact that's what the dealership themselves told me the last time I had a mount failure. They told me they were unable to do anything because the bolt was tight when I brought it in.

Stupid me!! I should've towed it in.

Called up Mazda Customer Service ... after a few phone calls, the same reply - I should've towed it in.

But my point is, the frigging thing was loose AGAIN. Do they really need the engine to drop out of the car at 80mph to understand it!?!

Anyways I placed a formal complaint with NHTSA regarding this. I don't know if that would help me, but prolly would help someone else strengthen their case, if this issue were to happen to someone else.

·
Registered
422 Posts
[quote author=Rainforests link=topic=138343.msg2984628#msg2984628 date=1236653700]
Here is the update.

The dealership says they inspected the mounts during my previous visit and checked the bolt torques using a torque wrench. In a normal case that would mean removing the battery and resetting the trip meter, but mine wasn't. When asked how they could do that with out removing the battery/battery tray; they answer was they have ways - (remove the battery tray with the battery in it?) Go figure.

According to the dealership, they have inspected the mount and put back the bolt with loctite on it. I thought there bolts were single use ones. In-fact that's what the dealership themselves told me the last time I had a mount failure. They told me they were unable to do anything because the bolt was tight when I brought it in.

Stupid me!! I should've towed it in.

Called up Mazda Customer Service ... after a few phone calls, the same reply - I should've towed it in.

But my point is, the frigging thing was loose AGAIN. Do they really need the engine to drop out of the car at 80mph to understand it!?!

Anyways I placed a formal complaint with NHTSA regarding this. I don't know if that would help me, but prolly would help someone else strengthen their case, if this issue were to happen to someone else.
[/quote]

To answer your question, yes! Every dealer wants to be able to recreate your complaint or they won't work on the car under warranty. I can understand if it were something labor intensive but this can't take that long for them to check and correct if it's loose. Just put in a new bolt with a good bit of loctite and torque it down. It creates a hell of a lot less work than having to replace everything when the engine drops. Especially if you've already had a drop once, you'd think they would be more careful to not let it happen again. Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
[quote author=RC08MS3 link=topic=138343.msg2984488#msg2984488 date=1236650028]
[quote author=buckeyepost link=topic=138343.msg2983885#msg2983885 date=1236632651]
Dude, that blows! My motor fell too and it was not a good feeling.... if it happens again after warranty I'll never buy another Mazda again....
[/quote]

blame FoMoCo, not mazda
[/quote]

Regardless.... I've never wanted to own a Ford either. Just like Chrysler ruined the Jeep.

·
Registered
340 Posts
it boggles my mind to think that it comes loose that quickly...

Either they aren't tightening it down all the way (supporting the motor as they do it..) or the threads have been damaged from being loose while driving.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey guys!....I have to get off my ass and check mine too.....I have a question though. I looked at the said bolt from the bottom side of the car while changing my oil. And correct me if im wrong, wouldn't we be able to remove the bolt, put some LOCKTIGHT ON IT AND PLACE A SELF LOCKING NUT ON THE BOTTOM SIDE?...in the part where you can see it from the bottom?...This may supplement the LOCKTIGHT and further prevent the bolt from backing out!.....Wouldn't it?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts