Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sunroof just opens up at an angle and some you can take out completely by hand, the moonroof opens all the way mechanically, as well as opening up at an angle. The Mazda 3 comes only with the moonroof, but when you get that, you also get 6-CD changer (it's all part of the same package). So if you want one, you have to get both. I got that package on mine, and it is SOO worth it, even though it's the middle of winter... good luck!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I always defined a "sunroof" as a panel of metal that can be opened to let the light in and a "moonroof" as a tinted glass panel that can be opened, but lets light through no matter what. A quick search on google resulted in the following, which basically says the same as above..

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Everywhere I've seen this question posed, definitions depended on the person and both sunroofs and moonroofs garnered several different definitions. Here's mine:

Sunroof: Made of glass, glass pops up but also slides back with the panel sliding over/outside the roof. Fully mechanical.

Moonroof: Most are made of metal, doesn't pop up and panel slides into the roof. Fully Mechanical.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
bluntman said:
I always defined a "sunroof" as a panel of metal that can be opened to let the light in and a "moonroof" as a tinted glass panel that can be opened, but lets light through no matter what.
That's what I always thought.
Yes, that's basically it. There's not a "slide" panel for a sunroof. It's light or no light, where the moonroof can be closed, lighted, or open for air.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I fourth the idea that "sunroof" = a metal panel; and that a "moonroof" = a glass panel.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You all have it wrong.. Moon roof is the TILT feature where the glass stays in positon and tilts up letting in a crack of moonlight. A sunroof is the sliding feature which slides back opening up a big hole. The Mazda3 has sun/moon roof which does BOTH. That explain things? Some cars only have moonroof (usually mechanical not automated when its by itself).

·
Registered
164 Posts
D said:
You all have it wrong.. Moon roof is the TILT feature where the glass stays in positon and tilts up letting in a crack of moonlight...
...as opposed to letting in a crack of sunlight?
you have it wrong.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Does it really matter what it is called? I just know that it will be nice to have a moon/sun roof when I get my MZ3 :) All these opinions are confusing :(

·
Registered
744 Posts
Levitron said:
I fourth the idea that "sunroof" = a metal panel; and that a "moonroof" = a glass panel.
I fifth it...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I do remember the "Moon roof" in my old 89 Mustang GT was simply a window that popped open and could either be left like that or completely removed. The first sunroof option I got was one that slidback out of the way (manually or otherwise) but could also tilt. Just my point of view, not that the whole thing matters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts