Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a question. Does anyone have a link or info on making my own carbon fiber components? What I want to do... or try... is to make my own gauge pod for an AF meter. I know I can mount it on the steering column. Or what not. But I want to have fun trying to make my own. I was wanting to place the meter on the door where the speaker and side view mirror mount to. That one little plastic piece there. I would replace that with a carbon fiber gauge pod/speaker mount. I think it would be pretty cool and different. And a fun project to work on. So I want to know how to make a mold or what material it should be make of.. foam? Wood? etc... What kind of epoxy? Where to buy the fiber sheets and epoxy? Etc..... etc.... Procedure... Thanks for any help..

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
i would say buy a small pod and make it work there
then buy a small sheet of carbon fiber look alike and stick it on...
you are getting rid of the tweeter?

i kind of know the process but it has been awhile, you will have to make a mold and then have that as the piece... then sand it and paint it black, doesnt have to be perfect or anything it can be rough... actually rough might be better, then get some resin and brush it all over it let dry or almost dry and lay the carbon fiber over it, you cannot sand or finalize after you lay it down or it will ruin the carbon fiber

it is hard and on small curvy peices probably harder
you can get some CF here http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/carbonfiber.html

again, i would do a fiberglass piece and get look alike carbon fiber.... probably cost 1/5 of what CF would cost and take a few weeks less ....

·
Registered
727 Posts
or you can try and vacume bag it yourself sense its not that big of a piece. basucly you make a piece exactly how you want it out of something else. then you take that piece and suspend it in like a coffee can or other container that will fit it. fill the can with some kind of high temp expanding foam or plaster if you wanna go that route but foam will be easier to cut. now you have a mold all you need to do is put the carbon fiber that you soaked in resin on it untill its the right thickness put it back together and vacume pack it with one of those food sealer thingys and bake it at the appropriate temp to cure the epoxy. i have never personally tried this but it seems like it would work its basicly a miniature of what they do to make larger pieces so if yu can find the correct stuff should be piece of cake. then again maybe not. maybe somebody with more experiance can chime in and help

·
Registered
515 Posts
I made many pieces with my team in college, even with good basic equipment at our school it was difficult to make good quality pieces. My advice is just forget it, without a lot of time and money you'll never make a piece that looks pleasing to your eye. If you're just bound and determined I'd imagine the best way to go would be to ask around as a few people make pieces out of their garage, the difference being they have bought some equipment and have experience and usually love making one off pieces that they will not charge you very much for as they get some enjoyment out of it. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Fiberglass however, is another story, and would be a lot cheaper and easier to play with and learn to do in your garage.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Fiberglass FTW

I was hopeing i wasnt off, i guess i was right on, i heard of bakeing also but seemed like a bunch more work for a begginer

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for some of the info. I'll have to track down this guy in town that does small parts. He made something similar for one of his cars. Looks very good. I'm in no rush to do this. But I think it'll be a fun project to try out. I'll just have to keep on searching/browsing the internet for more info. Thanks again....

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i made a custom fiberglass box for my trunk that turned out pretty well, atleast i think it did.

the pic doesn't do it justice, but there are some pretty tight curves on the surface. if you want i could do a write up type thing and send it to you.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
interesting
i want to see another pic... maybe without glare
looks good though

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank You very much!!!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts