Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

From the minute I bought the SP23 I hated that stupid sized number plate holder. Nothing that 45 minutes with a drill and stanley knife wont fix.

Wadda ya all think ? I like it heaps better. Anyway, thats my little mod that I thought I would share :D

BTW you can hardly tell I photoshop'd the plate and I am no good at it huh :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Thats an excellent job...

So what did you do???

Take off the plate holder and cut off the excess???

Was it as simple as that??

·
Registered
650 Posts
That looks very cool and almost standard to the car.
The number plate is still longer (wider) than the American backing plate though, right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep it was pretty much as simple as that. The plastic is so soft that a sharp stanely knife will easily go through it. An yes the plate is wider that the whole holder but it doesn't look that bad at all. As you can tell I am pretty fussy with stuff and to me I think it pass's. Give it a go guys, 40 minutes well worth it I think, you just need tiny hands to get the 2 screws holding it all on, hence a lot of swearing transpired :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've not had a close look at the plate holder problem, however I'm getting prem plates.

What exactly is it that looks rubbish? Is it that the plate is to thin for the plate holder so you've cut the height of the plate holder?

My understanding is coloured plates are longer than the premiums I'm getting.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got my dealer to chuck in the smaller Aus style license plate holder :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you serious. Why not put them on the car. Don't tell me it's an option and the dealer sweetened the deal with it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
man i wish we have those plates here in the U.S. :(

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wouldn't go that far, they get sloppy suspension compared to ours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mazda3Stratos said:
I got my dealer to chuck in the smaller Aus style license plate holder :)
My dealer says there is nothing they can do about the plate holders - they don't have any others. Which dealer are you with? If we get enough people interested, maybe you can you order a quantity in bulk? :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
From memory, the licence plate holders are on SP23 models and sedans, so Neo/Maxx hatches are ok. Those large chunky things are best for std plates. Premium/coloured plates would look awkward.

Speaking of plates, anyone thinking of Euro plates? Makes you like a Euro wannabe but hey, at least it looks good!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought my car at Penfold Mazda here in Melbourne and they fitted slimline plates and narrow surrounds without asking. There's a slight bend in the front one to accomodate the pointy noise on the SP23, other than that they look factory. See my other thread if you want to check out the photos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't really tell clearly from the photos, but is the Maxx sedan front pointier than the hatch? What about the sedan MAXX v sedan SP23?

The dealer said that they could take off the casing altogether but then they'd need to drill holes into the front bumper to fit the number plates because the current holes don't align. I didn't want them to start drilling more holes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My Mazda dealer took off the number plate holder on my car and mounted the plates directly onto the bumper with their branded frames. What I didn't notice until now is that the bumper is recessed to hold the number plate holder and the plate looks odd without it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, that what I thought (ie Neo/Maxx hatches' front bumper has a recessed flat portion). In fact, I thought they do not have number plate holders?

·
Registered
650 Posts
It looks like the recess would fit the plastic holder but it's not there. Maybe I will ask my dealer if they can give me one they take off and I'll chop it up too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
1 - 20 of 89 Posts