Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious if anyone knows of a mod to make my good old manual headlights automatically turn off when i turn my car off.

hope theres not some huge thread on this that im duplicating.. tried searching for it with no luck.. maybe im just a tart :)

thanks for any help

·
Registered
768 Posts
All you really need is a relay inline with the wire from the switch on the stalk. It runs to the PJB under the glovebox, so it is easy to get at. Use the switched igntion +12v to turn the relay on/off.

Check out www.the12volt.com for ideas about relays... and if you ask/search in the forum there I am sure you will find lots of info.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man i'll take a look. sounds easy enoug tho :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Please post instructions on how you got it working. I would love to do this to my car but I don't have the time or the resource to start figuring out which wires to tap and how to hook up the relays.

·
Registered
768 Posts
At little more info:

Looking at the wiring manual, the best way to connect in a relay is interrupt ground wire for the light switch. When the switch is the "off" position nothing is connected to ground. So by interrupting the ground wire you have the same effect as turning the switch to "off". The wire you want is one of the B/G ones coming off of the light switch. There are a couple of B/G wires, the one you want is the wire on pin E. You will need to remove the shroud around the steering column to get at it.

The the B/G wire needs to be cut, and the two ends connected to pins 87 and 30 of the relay. The coil side of the relay (pins 85 and 86) need to be connected with one going to switched +12v source, the other to ground. You can pick off the +12 from the Y wire at the ignition switch. For ground you can use the B/G wire you just cut... connect to which ever pin you have on the car-side, not the pin with wire from the light switch

If you aren't sure what you are doing, any shop that does alarms etc. should be able to wire this up in about ½ hour.

·
Registered
333 Posts
which kind of relay did you use?
do you have any pictures of the wires and the relay in the steering column?

·
Registered
768 Posts
[quote author=khoi link=topic=137589.msg2971922#msg2971922 date=1236044284]
which kind of relay did you use?
do you have any pictures of the wires and the relay in the steering column?
[/quote]

I don't have this set up on my current car... I have the Auto-setting on the lights, it's not needed. The info I posted is from the wiring manual. For the relay, you want a regular Bosch-type automotive relay, with a pig-tail harness. You can get them on eBay, or at automotive parts places. Sorry, no pics!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts