Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure that there is even a way around the redirect. My MNMazda bookmark is for the main forums page, and when I try to go there I keep getting sent back to that notice. The text of the notice doesn't sound like something a scammer would write; the author is definitely local. We need to hear AJ's side of the story for sure, but I think it would be wise if we do not put any money into the "donation" (e.g. ransom) until we know exactly what's going on.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I'm staying out of the public on this one. No sense getting into the middle.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's not some random scammer for sure, but I have no idea really what to make of his story. AJ was aware of it, because he posted about it in the mod section earlier today, but it took a few hours to propagate through the DNSs apparently.

It just seems like there should be a way around it, since we were able to access the site until all the DNSs received the change and started pointing mnmazda.com to whatever server it's now pointing so--which seems to imply that the site is still on a server somewhere, ready to rock, but we're just being directed somewhere else. Then again, I've only got a crude understanding of that stuff, so who knows...

Also, apparently the owner of mitsustyle lives less than 2 blocks away on my street.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Well, here's my theory. We all need to stay the hell out of this one. I guarantee whatever is going on, they all know where we came from, and the last thing we want to do is get caught up in it. For now, I suggest we let it marinate and let AJ handle his biz, and we keep it to private channels. I'm sure we can get this worked out in one fashion or another.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree about leaving it alone (mostly because it sounds like only AJ actually knows WTF the deal is) but if there was some way to backdoor into mnmazda, I wouldn't be opposed to making that public knowledge either.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=134853.msg2901142#msg2901142 date=1233347018]It just seems like there should be a way around it, since we were able to access the site until all the DNSs received the change and started pointing mnmazda.com to whatever server it's now pointing so--which seems to imply that the site is still on a server somewhere, ready to rock, but we're just being directed somewhere else. Then again, I've only got a crude understanding of that stuff, so who knows...
[/quote]

If we can find out the IP address of the server MNMazda's being hosted on, then we can take DNS out of the picture.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hm. That could be a problem... unless you're smarter than me. Unfotunately whoever did this sounds like they're intelligent, and probably won't let an IP like that be made public.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=134853.msg2901174#msg2901174 date=1233347643]
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=134853.msg2901142#msg2901142 date=1233347018]It just seems like there should be a way around it, since we were able to access the site until all the DNSs received the change and started pointing mnmazda.com to whatever server it's now pointing so--which seems to imply that the site is still on a server somewhere, ready to rock, but we're just being directed somewhere else. Then again, I've only got a crude understanding of that stuff, so who knows...
[/quote]

If we can find out the IP address of the server MNMazda's being hosted on, then we can take DNS out of the picture.
[/quote]

I tried looking it up earlier, but the lookup sites appeared to already have the updated info. And sites that will show you a history of DNS entries seem to all need paid subscriptions. Oh well.

WTF! Someone has donated $3.50! lol

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://72.167.222.118/forum/index

If you click links, it's going to redirect you back to the "pirated" home page. But if you type in all links replacing "mnmazda.com" with "72.167.222.118" you can navigate.

EDIT: actually, it looks like the forum links don't refer to the domain, only relative to the root directory, so you can navigate just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts