Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for my car for a few weeks now. The more I go to see different dealerships, the more and more my list of "mistakes" salesmen make grows. Here's a few I've compiled. Feel free to add!!

1) A pontiac salesmen, during a G6 testdrive, asked me if there were any vehicles other than the G6 I was considering. I said Mercury Milan. He immediately made a grimmace and said "why??." Strike 3. The Milan has your car beat by a mile for options vs. price.

2) "I want you to drive away with this car tonight.. what do I have to do?" I don't know. 10 year payment play with 0% apr.. and you make the first 50 payments. Don't ask me that. Tell me what your best offer is, and see if I like it.

3) Ask me EXACTLY what I want in a car, don't just assume the first one you pointed to is the one I wanna drive away in.

3) "When are you looking to make a decision?" That's a very personal question. Don't ask me that. I could have $19k in the bank and it could be in 2 minutes.. or I could have $1k and it could be 3 years. If I walked into your dealership and said I wanted to check out a car.. that's exactly what I meant. If I walked into the dealership and said "I want to BUY a car..." then ask me this question.

4) Don't shit on my current car. I love it, and I'm emotionally attached to it, and feel sorta bummed I'm considering selling it to get a new car. little side-story... *flashback*

Back in early 2006, when Fusions were just starting to come out, I went to a local dealership to look at up closee and personal. I step outside of my car in the parking lot and I immediately hear from one of the young salesmen: "Heyy.. you looking to trade that THING in?" pointing to my 2000 Ford Focus. You douchebag... you HAVE foci on your lot, and you want to sell them. Don't insult my current car, period. At that moment, I decided I wasn't buy a car that day.. I was just going to test drive one.

5) Don't tell me what I want. The Douchebag mentioned above's Supervisor tried to tell me I wanted a v6 automatic Fusion, not an i-4 manual. I told him I already had a fun-to-drive, v-6 car. He asked what car. I said 1993 Ford Probe v-6 manual. He frowned and said that wasn't a sports car, and that Mustangs are, and that the v6 automatic would get better gas mileage than an i-4 manual due to the 6-speed automatic transmission. Fuck you... and read rule #4.

6) Don't call me. I'll call you.

7) Back to rule #5... I HAVE to mention it again. I'm being treated fairly nicely by the dealership currently looking into locating my perfect Mercury Milan for me. They've been unable to find one so far... and when I asked about a special order, he said it would take too long and I didn't want that. Fuck you. Read rule #5. He's also trying to sell me on a tungsten gray Milan with an expensive back-up sensor and no spoiler. I want an alloy colored milan with a spoiler. He said I want a backup sensor because of the hazards of my work parking lot. No, I don't. Fuck you. Re-read rule #5.

8) Do NOT make any references to my age. Yes, I'm 23.. but $19,800 from me and $19,800 from a 40 year old couple give you the same sales bonus. I came to your dealership in slacks, a tie and used vernacular far more advanced than your average customer. Treat me that way.

9) Don't forget rule #5.

10) Don't.. NOT know about the car you're selling. If I do a couple minutes research and learn more about your car than you do.. then you're just a salesmen and you're useless to the entire process. I should just hand you a copy of my license, take the car out with you quietly in the passenger seat not making a peep making sure I don't do smoke-outs, and when I come back, I should talk to your supervisor directly about price. I hate that salesman "i'll be right back" shit.

Anyways.. sorry for the long rant. Feel free to post your thoughts!!

-cris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=reivaj link=topic=69459.msg1205888#msg1205888 date=1171417137]
cris which hp from prestige series is that?
[/quote]

80. It's modded now.. has a gray grill over it so you can't tell. Love grado :)

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
[quote author=Cris link=topic=69459.msg1205895#msg1205895 date=1171417466]
[quote author=reivaj link=topic=69459.msg1205888#msg1205888 date=1171417137]
cris which hp from prestige series is that?
[/quote]

80. It's modded now.. has a gray grill over it so you can't tell. Love grado :)
[/quote]
true that! i love grado too. sorry i know this is off the topic but i saw the avatar and i knew it. i got a pair of alessandro ms1s at home

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
[quote author=Cris link=topic=69459.msg1205854#msg1205854 date=1171416260]

3) Ask me EXACTLY what I want in a car, don't just assume the first one you pointed to is the one I wanna drive away in.

3)
4) Don't shit on my current car. I love it, and I'm emotionally attached to it, and feel sorta bummed I'm considering selling it to get a new car. little side-story... *flashback*

-cris
[/quote]

My guy asked me what I wanted, wrote everything down and did a search for 3 days until I came back and said Ill take this one. He also LOVED my truck, he didnt enjoy the gas tank on EEEEEEEEEEEEEE :p

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My old car was a P.O.S that was already pre-sold to family, that live far away as is :p
So when I came in, and told them exactly what I wanted, every option, they had it on the lot :D I was able to gaze at it that very day! hehe.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
wow, when I picked my car up the guy sat down with me in my car and showed me every feature, how to use it, where it was etc. Even under the hood, trunk etc. Even topped off the fluid as he saw it wasnt 100% full.

If your ever in Il and want a mazda go to rosen In lake villa and ask for Matt Palmer, excellent service and guy!

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Yeah I do have to say I hate the salesmen who really don't know anything about their cars. I don't expect them to know the valve diameter and valve lift, but jesus know exactly how much HP and torque at what engine speeds. Have a ball park idea of its 0-60 and quarter mile times and speed. Also know what the EPA rated milage on it is, cubic footage of the trunk, tire size and wheel size, the options is comes with (without having to look them up) and their price, plus anything else of note (like the car has a 60-0 braking distance of 118ft or it has an easy to access oil drain plug and filter for ease of maintenance, whatever).
-Matt

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
[quote author=mazda3nut link=topic=69459.msg1208347#msg1208347 date=1171502422]
most salesmen are in the wrong profession....
[/quote]

That's because professional suicide artist doesn't typically have much "upward mobility".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts