Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone notice that many elderly people are now driving minivans? whats up with that? do they actually haul that much crap around with them? first they drive huge boats with decent horsepower, but accelerate with the speed of a crippled hippo. now they are getting family haulers for grams, gramps, and the rat, oops i mean terrier. go figure.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I don't know but 9 times out of ten when there is someone doing crazy stuff on the road it's a minivan. My friend and I pulled up to get gas and then this guy walked in front of her car up to the credit slot and started to put his card in and we didn't see a car anywhere so my friend honked. The guy started yelling, calling her a bitch and flipping her off, then his wife pulled up in their minivan and they drove away like they had a racecar, it was hilarious.

I also think old people get them because vans are a lot better then they used to be.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Mobile meth labs. 'Cause Social Security doesn't pay the way it used to.

(I have one myself. It hauls asses while my 3 hauls ass.)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Minivans are the most practical all-around vehicle you can get. For the money, nothing comes close to all-around utility, passenger and cargo hauling, acceleration, relative nimbleness (compared to SUV's), etc. etc. etc. We will never be without one, and I certainly understand why many elderly folks would enjoy them. I can't figure out why my grandpa likes driving a pickup truck. He's from the South, so it's in his blood. But he can't lift stuff up onto the tailgate anymore like he used to. I'd rather they had a minivan with a nice low load floor.

What do you think elderly folks should be driving? High-powered sedans that they don't take advantage of anyway? Pickup trucks? Tall SUV's that they will dislocate a hip trying to get in? Mazdaspeed6?!?!?! What?

·
Registered
665 Posts
[quote author=thebrakeman link=topic=42888.msg634552#msg634552 date=1143467071]
Minivans are the most practical all-around vehicle you can get. For the money, nothing comes close to all-around utility, passenger and cargo hauling, acceleration, relative nimbleness (compared to SUV's), etc. etc. etc. We will never be without one, and I certainly understand why many elderly folks would enjoy them. I can't figure out why my grandpa likes driving a pickup truck. He's from the South, so it's in his blood. But he can't lift stuff up onto the tailgate anymore like he used to. I'd rather they had a minivan with a nice low load floor.

What do you think elderly folks should be driving? High-powered sedans that they don't take advantage of anyway? Pickup trucks? Tall SUV's that they will dislocate a hip trying to get in? Mazdaspeed6?!?!?! What?

[/quote]

take it easy with your minivan worshipping..... while they are useful for many things, they are the least fun to drive vehicles I can imagine. And they don't look attractive, just functional. You can even get any kinds of performance or visual mods for these cars. So basically minivans suck except for people who are totally burdened by practical considerations, people I feel sorry for....

Even kids past the age of 6 wouldn't want to be dropped off in a minivan

·
Registered
663 Posts
I know, but consider the topic of this thread. It relates to the elderly. Do you really think that these folks are interested in a vehicle that turns on a dime? Some yes. But most, no.

The reality is that most families will have 2 vehicles. Once you have kids, you need something practical. All I'm saying is that the minivans that are available today give you that practicality with as much performance as possible in something so big. I think our van is actually quicker than my Mazda3! (But only in a straight line, of course!!). The second vehicle will often be something a little more fun to drive for the daily commute, and weekend getaways. That's our situation anyway.

Maybe most people on this site are still single and haven't had to start considering these things.

Sorry if I was a little pushy. I love my Mazda3! But our minivan makes life a lot easier for us, compared to trying to move 3 little girls around in a sedan or lifting them into an SUV. And I this this speaks well to the original topic.

G

·
0 Posts
I think this has a lot to do with ingress / egress, the same reason the Ford 500 is selling so well in the blue-hair set. The car rides high, and is perfect height for step-in and step-out. Caddys may be nice, but the oldsters still have to step DOWN into them, and step UP to get out. Most modern minivans you can practically turn around and slide in. Easy on those 80 year-old knees and hips. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I only have one word:

RASCAL

My grandfather has one and it takes up the entire trunk of his DeVille.  He is considering a SRX for this very reason.

Lord willing, I can get the Rascal 625 one day.  Talk about a sweet ride :p

G

·
0 Posts
Next I'll be seeing one of THESE hanging out in the left lane of Central Expressway

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
IMO, a minivan is the absolute worst car that a parent can give their kids when they turn 16. Invariably, you will try to cram 15 people in one and then do something dumb.... but elderly people with minivans makes plenty of sense to me.... easy to load/unload and then - the grandkids :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
[quote author=haleme link=topic=42888.msg636538#msg636538 date=1143561310]
I only have one word:

RASCAL

My grandfather has one and it takes up the entire trunk of his DeVille.  He is considering a SRX for this very reason.

Lord willing, I can get the Rascal 625 one day.  Talk about a sweet ride :p
[/quote]
I saw a lady at a hardware store with a Velo Red 3 5-door. She had a lift in the back to load/unload one of those rascals (or some other type of cart) which she needed for a chronic condition. We chatted for a while. The post was mounted in the cargo area, but had to be so far forward that the smaller of the 2 seats had to remain permanently folded forward. But this worked well for her, as it left the larger seatback available for a rear passenger to sit comfortable, plus provided an area on top of the smaller seatback for cargo, since the cart took up most of the rear area.

What normally would have required a minivan or other larger vehicle, the 5-door allowed her a fun sporty vehicle! Very cool!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
[quote author=thebrakeman link=topic=42888.msg642349#msg642349 date=1143819842]
She had a lift in the back to load/unload one of those rascals
[/quote]

Those lifts are heary, as are the scooters.  When my grandparents lift the scooter into the Caddie, the back of the car squats about an inch lower to remove all the tension from the line, then the scooter rises up in the air.  I wonder if she experiences the same thing in the 3?  And I wonder if the dealer installed the setup in her car?  Nonetheless, a great solution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts