Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the deal.... i have a corksport downpipe and a stock oem midpipe. I want to get an aftermarket 3'' midpipe that is catted. I have not seen any and i went to a few exhaust shops to see if they could make me up something and they said they would not touch my stock cat at all... so what can i do? i do not want to run catless..any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Might as well keep the stock midpipe if your going to run with a cat. An aftermarket MP/RP with a welded in cat probably won't perform much better than your stock MP. If your set on aftermarket then keep searching for a shop that will work with you, could be tough though. A lot of shops won't touch the stock cats because of the laws and fines that are in place. So I guess your DP is catted? Even if it is, it's still an illegal piece here in CA. The current laws prohibit any replacement of stock cats, period.

Side note:Direct Fit "Catalytic converters - Note that it is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter and that aftermarket catalytic converters are not legal for use on OBD2 vehicles in California (some 1994 and 1995 and all 1996 and later vehicles.") So for those who think putting a catted version on your car makes you immune to the laws, wrong. If your doing so to keep CEL's away or because you just want a "cleaner" exhaust then that's a different story.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i have to corksport downpipe it only comes none catted thats why i wanna keep the cat on the midpipe i dont wanna run completely catless....but yeah thats prolly tru that i wont do much anyway...i was thinking maybe later on ill just go with the catted CPe downpipe since the midpipe is attached...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
you will defeat the purpose of having rp :lol: . racepipe, is the removal of cat. i believe there was someone that found a small weld in cat for the catless dp's and rp's. I don't remember where this was though... i wouldn't bother, rp gives you 10whp, with putting the catted one, you might get 5whp, and it'll cost shit load.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It migh help if the CEL isn't lit up if you get pulled over. Some cops might give you a hard time about your mods if they see a CEL. I personally like to run a cat on all of my cars... even if it's not the stock cat. Besides... how do they know that your stock cat didn't melt internally from a bad spark plug (which I see ALOT of these days with people stretching out tune-ups to 100K+) or that your stock cat didn't get damaged by road debris (which is what happened to mine, seriously, it got hit by a rock in one of those "falling rock" areas where they cut into the mountainside for the roadway). An aftermarket cat in Cali still has to meet their hitler-like requirements to pass visual inspection, so finding a cat that performs better than stock and passes cali smog might be harder than finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Still, any cat cleans the exhaust better than no cat, and in alot of cases a performance cat is only a 3-5hp loss over a racepipe, but will still perform better than the stock cat.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah... i actually dont have a CEL anymore from my missing cat on my dp becuase i had two spark plug foulers put in and it keeps the o2 sensor away from the flow so no CEL....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts