Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a phone call yesterday from an old high school friend, someone I haven't spoken to in over 3 years, said he had some bad news. One of our friends had died the other day, from a heroin overdose at the age of 23. Was shocking to say the least. For the past 2 years, he had been addicted heavily, and none of us knew. A little back story, there was a group of us, about 20 or so, all through high school we were the best of friends, but after graduation, we all kind of went our separate ways. Typical, I guess. During high school though, we all bonded together due to similar interests, and common values. We had a lot of fun together, did a lot of stupid things, but nothing ever too crazy.

So last night, most of us that still live in the area, met up at the high school to try and figure out what we could do to try and remember our old friend the best. So we went to one of our old hang outs, one of my friends parents house. Back in high school, many of friday nights were spent in their pool, and more importantly, the shed in the backyard which we had basically converted into the game room of doom. :lol: We call it that, because it was perfect for having get togethers in, no one cared about noise because they couldn't hear us. We had a crappy pool table, dartboard, mini fridge, radio, basically, all a high school student needs to have a good time. Of course we did our best to keep the mini fridge stocked with alcohol, and we all know, that a high schoolers supply of alcohol is mainly gained by the good old "Hey mister". Give a guy $10 bucks and you get a 12 pack off Natty Light, or give him $20 bucks and you end up with a $9 gallon of popov vodka.

Keeping with tradition, last night, we decided what better way to remember an old friend by doing what we used to do together. Out comes the cheap alcohol. Sure, we can legally buy and afford much better stuff, but keeping with tradition is important in situations like this.

It was so strange sitting around there just like high school, doing the same things we did back then, and talking about our old friend. All the good times that we had. Like when we had the BRILLIANT idea of hooking up 5 1000 watt amps to ONE subwoofer and proceeded to blow out the rear window in his camaro. Or when he forgot to latch the t-tops on it and drove down the road and one went flying off into the air, and hes leaning halfway out the drivers window trying to drive and keep the other one from flying off. Only to stop the car and start laughing because as he said "Did you see that shit? It was total fast and the furious shit! It was just like the supra when it flew off!" He wasn't laughing later when he realized how expensive a new t-top was from the dealer. Talking about all the stupidity and good times went on for hours.

We came to realize we hadn't just lost an old friend. We had lost each other. It has been 4 years since some of us last saw each other. Made me feel horrible that it took one of us to die in order for us to reconnect again.

I'm just numb right now, I thought about a lot of stuff last night, lot of it hurt. :(

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
it is strange how death can bring people closer together. but thats what happens, very cool way for you guys to remember him though, I think you did his memory more just by doing this than any funeral could do IMO

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
sorry to hear about it Brent... I lost a very good friend for the first time in January 07... we spent so many crazy nights sitting out by a big bonfire and bullshitting around and drinking crown royal and cokes... every time I take a shot of crown now I get sad :( but I take them for him and it makes things a little easier.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just amazed how many people from my graduating class, or the class before me or after me have died.

People that I knew well enough to call friends.

3 or 4 in car accidents.
2 in Iraq
1 from an asthma attack
1 from a heart attack
1 from a seizure.
1 died in his sleep of "natural causes".
1 got killed in a training accident at Fort Polk.
Someone committed suicide.
Someone else drowned.
Someone else in a bungee jumping accident.
One girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Someone was hit by a car.

It's just crazy. Probably 20 people in the past 4 years.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Man that sucks.

I wish I had stayed better connected with my close friends from high school. Its partly my fault and with some of them it is their fault.

I am still close friends with my best friend from HS (still my best friend), but that is the only person I am still connected with from HS. In college I wasn't home much and a couple of my friends were also rarely home, so we never stayed in touch and drifted apart. I stayed friends with 3 of my other friends and saw them on the occasional break when I would head home. I was also friends with maybe another 5 or 6 guys, most of whom I didn't stay friends with after we went off to college (I basically either never saw them again or I might have seen them once or twice once college started).

I graduated a year before my friends, or more (it took me 3yrs instead of 4+). One of them kind of drifted off after he graduated and I have run in to him once since then. Another one kind of got 'kicked out' of the remaining group because he did something really bad to my friend Nick, which Nick would never bring up (must have been bad, they had been best friends since they were 2, so must have been a chick issue). Soon after (maybe 3 or 4 months) Nick stopped hanging out with me or returning my phone calls. I ran in to him maybe 6 months after all that started and we chatted, but it was obvious that he felt ackward and didn't really want to be hanging around. Haven't seen or heard from him since (about 3 years now). The thing I can't figure out is my best friend got together with Nick and a couple of other buddies around Christmas time, a couple of months after Nick stopped talking to me, and he basically told my best friend that he was pissed at me for something I did. I literally have NO clue what the hell it could be. My best friend thinks its because I just wasn't really around in college he Nick was hurt that I sort of lost touch. However, this is after we had been hanging out fairly regularly after I graduated (probaby every couple of weeks for about 4-5 months). So whatever.

So that just leaves my best friend, who sadly lives 90 minutes away with his wife. I see them maybe every 4-6 weeks. They both have family in the area where I live. He is looking really hard to get a job back here so they can move back, sounds like they might be able to in the next few months. It'll be nice to have them close by.

Its rather sad and I still regret it. I also keep wondering why the hell Nick was A) pissed at me and/or B) didn't want to have anything to do with me anymore.
-Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts