Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any success in developing this feature? This would be a hit.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
No work has been done on it, unfortunately. It's on the list, but a lack of developers over the past couple years has stalled development on a lot of things I'd like to do. I have more free time now, so hopefully I can do a bit... but I'm not exactly a developer.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Potential problems: 1) lots of people don't set their location, and 2) the locations are free-text rather than something more structured, so grouping is going to be very problematic. Searching could be an option, but again people could put anything in there.

As an example, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, is often called "T.O.", "TO", "T-O", or simply "t-dot". Someone from Toronto, if they even bothered filling in the location in their profile, could use any of those, or "Toronto", or a suburb they live in such as "Scarborough", "Markham", etc. I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC, Canada, named Surrey. I could write "Surrey", "Vancouver", "Greater Vancouver" "GVA" (for Greater Vancouver Area), "Lower Mainland" (another term for the GVA), etc.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
We could solve those problems, Mutnat. Any locational service we provided would be based on zipcode/postal code (at least, in the US/Canada). It's just a matter of getting someone to actually do it. There's some open source options available, but I'm busy right now on another project for the forums, so haven't looked into it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
[quote author=MZ6ZoomZoom link=topic=119679.msg2525345#msg2525345 date=1218151459]
We could solve those problems, Mutnat. Any locational service we provided would be based on zipcode/postal code (at least, in the US/Canada). It's just a matter of getting someone to actually do it. There's some open source options available, but I'm busy right now on another project for the forums, so haven't looked into it.
[/quote]

Okay yeah now I feel silly! Why didn't I think of that??? LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts