Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the mount in the GB in November. It has been on ever since. On my trip to Boston last night I noticed the car vibrated a lot more, well it made a lot more noise. It wouldn't really make any noise while driving, but really made a racket at idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmNmlHJ7O3g#hq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgHq_qXJlM#hq
^I thought you were able to embed youtube videos?^-fixed

I know, I know, I just said that I have had no problems with their mount when the Vendors were having a little scrum. But of course the next day I notice these problems.

Well I really knew something was wrong and it was getting worse, though I wanted to make sure I wasn't just going crazy. So I first retorqued both sides, still the same, slowly getting worse. Then I thought it would be a good idea to completely retorque the bolts by loosening them completely and retorqueing them. This is when I noticed the problem.

Showing where it came loose.

So if you have the mount and have an different noises, take a look. I think I was only a few days away from it actually breaking.

I am going to contact Darkstar but I don't want a replacement on this thing. Its not a very good design....

Edit: This isn't a smear thread on Medieval or Darkstar - Just a thread to let people know about it.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Re: Medival Rear Motor Mount Broken

so what's wrong with it? the bolts keep coming loose? or did they actually strip out?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Can you just tighten the bolts back up? If they're not stripped, I would try putting loctite and then tightening it back up. GL

·
Registered
531 Posts

His links work on another site.
It looks like the two bolts that connect the two piece mount came loose.
So no amount of loctite will help.
When you buy cheap parts you get cheap parts.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

[quote author=CHIEFSMS3 link=topic=137474.msg2964556#msg2964556 date=1235709840]
After loosening they cracked the aluminum part of the mount.
[/quote]

cheap+reliable= isnt fast
fast+cheap=isnt reliable
fast+reliable=isnt cheap

simple math really

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Links fixed - guess the two sites don't have the exact same syntax for posting.

Darkstar said i should do what some of you have said, Re-loctite the bolts. But I don't trust it now. I will be switching to a 1piece design or keep it stock because I am liking the smooth vib-less ride.

Also I haven't cleaned it completely yet but I haven't found any cracks. In the video i was trying to show the Medieval name that's etched into the part. But I couldn't get it to show up on camera.

Would anyone else trust it if the bolts were loctited and tightened back down?

·
Registered
580 Posts

[quote author=CHIEFSMS3 link=topic=137474.msg2964556#msg2964556 date=1235709840]
After loosening they cracked the aluminum part of the mount.
[/quote]

Which is why I went with the SU mounts (sides and rear)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Medival Rear Motor Mount Broken - Fixed the videos

I have heard that the Street Unit (which has the same design) has had similar problems with the center bolts coming loose?

·
Registered
316 Posts

TRZ FTW!!!!!
GL with that ang get your self a TRZ!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts

[quote author=redblur link=topic=137474.msg2964997#msg2964997 date=1235745256]Which is why I went with the SU mounts (sides and rear)
[/quote]

The SU rear is a two piece as well, you're aware of that right?

·
Registered
85 Posts

Wow that sucks. MY factory mount tore from the rubber dampener. Now TRZ Derlin..the car will break before that thing.

·
Registered
580 Posts

[quote author=Ryz link=topic=137474.msg2965215#msg2965215 date=1235753056]
[quote author=redblur link=topic=137474.msg2964997#msg2964997 date=1235745256]Which is why I went with the SU mounts (sides and rear)
[/quote]

The SU rear is a two piece as well, you're aware of that right?
[/quote]

I am aware and did loctite and tighten the two allen bolts before assembly...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just bought the 3 peice all steel set from medival. the rear is the same as the trz. i just didnt trust the 2 peice design. but if the welds look like shit i might be returning it.

·
Registered
361 Posts

[quote author=Franconemo link=topic=137474.msg2965038#msg2965038 date=1235747599]
TRZ FTW!!!!!
GL with that ang get your self a TRZ!
[/quote]

+1 TRZ is one piece simple design. when spring comes around i'm gonna double check the torque settings for the bolts just for the hell of it

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Darkstar really has taken care of the situation really well. I sent back the mount today and they sent out the new mount today as well. They understood the problem and really take their warranty seriously.

I will be running the new mount as soon as I get it so I will tell you the difference between the 1st and the 2nd generations. Nearly all of the mounts went out of the the loctite so most of you don't have anything to worry about. But if you have a weird noise definitely check it out and make sure its not the mount.

But if you really are worried, take it out and re-loctite them so you know it was done.

But big thumbs up to Darkstar and Medieval for taking care of the situation and their customer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I saw the situation handled by darkstar on the other forum you posted in. I was beginning to wonder when you'll update this thread with their help for you!

·
Registered
288 Posts
[quote author=Sport6 link=topic=137474.msg2967798#msg2967798 date=1235875366]
Darkstar really has taken care of the situation really well. I sent back the mount today and they sent out the new mount today as well. They understood the problem and really take their warranty seriously.

I will be running the new mount as soon as I get it so I will tell you the difference between the 1st and the 2nd generations. Nearly all of the mounts went out of the the loctite so most of you don't have anything to worry about. But if you have a weird noise definitely check it out and make sure its not the mount.

But if you really are worried, take it out and re-loctite them so you know it was done.

But big thumbs up to Darkstar and Medieval for taking care of the situation and their customer.
[/quote]

Good to hear.

Are you referring to the 2-piece design and the dogbone style as the 1st and 2nd generation, or are there two generations of the 2-piece design? If so, what is the difference in the two generations?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts