Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was hoping that I can get some help for a couple of questions I have. I recently received a job in the Dominican Republic. I will be there for 6 weeks then returning home for 2 weeks for 2-3 years. The 6 weeks I will be there my Mazda 3 will be parked.

1.) Is it okay just to let your car sit there for 6 weeks? I could have someone available to start it up every once in a while if needed. Should I have someone periodically start it up for a bit or maybe drive it around the block a couple of times?

2.) How will this effect my time between oil changes? Right now I get oil changes every 5000km's. If I am not driving my car that much anymore it will take a long time for me to put on 5000k, maybe 6+ months. Is it okay to leave my oil that long even though I haven't driven 5000km's or should I change my oil change pattern to say maybe every three months instead of 5000km's?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
oil changes should be preformed within a certain set of miles or time, which ever comes first. i dont know km's but a good rule of thumb is to change the oil every 3k miles or 3 months. if its possible, id have someone drive the car around the block every week or so just to be safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem (but will be gone less).

if someone starts the car they should also drive it for a bit, otherwise you're draining your battery.
it's also a good idea to drive it so you remove a bit of the rust accumulated on the brakes.

whenever I leave my car (not mazda) standing for a log period of time, I always have problems when I come back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it were me (and if the car is garage-kept) I would do the following

1) Use a good synthetic oil to allow you to continue to change at the same mileage intervals w/o worring too much about time.
2) Unplug the battery and/or connect to a trickle charger
3) Keep tires properly inflated
4) Not start it until I'm ready to drive

·
Registered
253 Posts
If it were me I would get a cheap solar battery charger and hook it up while I was gone. I wouldn't worry about having someone start it up. Oh and I'd try to have relatively fresh (synthetic) oil in there while I was gone.

But if you really want someone to start it while your gone, don't have someone just start it up. It needs to be driven for 10+ miles (preferably on the interstate). Its bad for the oil if you just start it up and don't drive it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts