Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my medieval motor mounts installed...everything went pretty smoothly...here are some pics for you to enjoy!

Stock motor mount in place, coolant and power steering reservoirs removed

close up of passenger side stocker

everything removed, nice and clean engine bay!

side shot view

medieval side mount installed...its kinda hard to see because its painted black

top side of the medieval passenger mount

ready to tackle the driver's side mount!!

stock POS transmission mount, fuck mazda and their design!

another close up, POS i tell you!

Upper motor mount removed, tri-pod lower still in place

This mount is HARD to take off...make sure you packing that elbow grease and bring your breaker bar!

all the junk removed during the install

medieval transmission mount in place

Almost done!! upper plate in place

Close up of the medieval transmission mount

FTMFW!!! wheel hop and engine rocking be gone!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As for impressions? Well let me begin by saying...

THIS THING IS LOUD!!!!!! haha, no seriously, especially when you let off the gas...the whole cabin is intensified by the loud noise of the engine...I am just hoping that its going through the break in process...but to put it into perspective....imagine putting 2 TRZ Delrin mounts for both the side mounts...thats the best I can describe the noise level....it has significantly shot up...I have a rear cp-e motor mount (50A gen 1 bushing) so it does NOT add any extra noise or vibration from stock...the noise is definitely from the mounts transferring the engine noise through the cabin

Vibrations are not bad what so ever...letting it sit at idle is very mellow...also taking off from a stop isn't too bad...it's just when you let off the gas around 3k and coast down...FREAKING LOUD!!!!!!!

But I am very satisfied with the engine staying in place...its very solid in the front end....I can rev her up to 5k in first and let off the throttle...and it sticks like glue...very nice....however I have not yet floored it and banged the crap out of the gears...I am waiting for everything to settle in

I am hoping in about 500 miles it will settle down...I do not recommend these mounts for daily...haha its hella noisy...that is, assuming the noise level does not go down....but if the noise level does go down, then by all means, this is a product for most people

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
how long did the install take you? i have the mounts sitting in my room awaiting installation and am thinking i could put them in after work one day.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Good job Steven! Thanks for all the pics.

Questions:
How hard was it to get the mount in place with the washers? I would imagine that it would slip right out, since its tighter than a [insert tight anecdote here].

Comments:
Yes, its loud as hell. It will settle down after a few hundred miles. I would say that my noise level is still above stock, but not nearly as much as after the install.

Anyway, congrats on the successful install.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oricle, it took about 1.5 hours for my mechanic to install it....I would say with an amateur mechanic with simple hand tools can get it done in about 2.5 hours

Ferdball, the washers was not hard at all...if anything, lining up the mount and the plate for the trans side took the most work...and of course, removing all the junk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for sharing and keep us updated on the breakin....

Question though....Is the drivers side install all done from the top, any need to support weight from the bottom
to get it lined up?

This is a mod I would like to do. Getting rid of that catastrophe waiting to happen mazda calls a mount would
help ease my mind...lol

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=kpuser1 link=topic=135372.msg2914335#msg2914335 date=1233850274]
Thanks for sharing and keep us updated on the breakin....

Question though....Is the drivers side install all done from the top, any need to support weight from the bottom
to get it lined up?

This is a mod I would like to do. Getting rid of that catastrophe waiting to happen mazda calls a mount would
help ease my mind...lol
[/quote]

Yup, drivers side is done all from the top with a jack being held on the bottom....its not too bad with all the junk removed...it's not like an MBC install...man you ain't got no room to work with that one :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good job, Steven! Thanks for all the pics too. I will soon get the passenger side mount also.

One question. Did you use the two washers on the lower plate? If so, under which hole? Thx

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=135372.msg2916115#msg2916115 date=1233888718]
Good job, Steven! Thanks for all the pics too. I will soon get the passenger side mount also.

One question. Did you use the two washers on the lower plate? If so, under which hole? Thx
[/quote]

Well medieval said NO WASHER is necessary for the lower plate (aka tri pod)....they supply you with an aftermarket bolt because the stock bolt will not fit....its only for one hole out of the three....everything else is bolt on application

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=135372.msg2916413#msg2916413 date=1233894288]
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=135372.msg2916115#msg2916115 date=1233888718]

[/quote]

Well medieval said NO WASHER is necessary for the lower plate (aka tri pod)....they supply you with an aftermarket bolt because the stock bolt will not fit....its only for one hole out of the three....everything else is bolt on application
[/quote]

Which stock bolt is not supposed to fit? And not fit how? Like it is too long?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=135372.msg2917997#msg2917997 date=1233951973]
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=135372.msg2916413#msg2916413 date=1233894288]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which stock bolt is not supposed to fit? And not fit how? Like it is too long?
[/quote]

you know the transmission mount has an UPPER and LOWER portion...the lower portion is called the tripod (since it has 3 legs)....and the tripod is being held on by two STUDS and one BOLT....the stock bolt has to be swapped out for another bolt medieval supplies for you....I am not exactly sure the reasoning behind why it has to be swapped...

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=135372.msg2918849#msg2918849 date=1233977937]
you know the transmission mount has an UPPER and LOWER portion...the lower portion is called the tripod (since it has 3 legs)....and the tripod is being held on by two STUDS and one BOLT....the stock bolt has to be swapped out for another bolt medieval supplies for you....I am not exactly sure the reasoning behind why it has to be swapped...
[/quote]

Yeah I'm familiar with the mount. I guess the stock bolt on the lower portion is supposed to be too long? Just asking cause I used all the stock studs and bolts and torqued them down just fine but had to use two washers under the plate on the stud closest to the driver in order to line up the mounts. Hmmm, weird

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=135372.msg2918859#msg2918859 date=1233978204]
[/quote]

Yeah I'm familiar with the mount. I guess the stock bolt on the lower portion is supposed to be too long? Just asking cause I used all the stock studs and bolts and torqued them down just fine but had to use two washers under the plate on the stud closest to the driver in order to line up the mounts. Hmmm, weird
[/quote]

yeah I am thinking that stock bolt is too long...so medieval provided a shorter bolt to compensate for the thinner tripod bracket....who knows?

oh a side note I just installed my cp-e turbo inlet....the install was more PITA than I thought because of the fitment of the inlet....and someone else on another forum mentioned that it could be due to my medieval mounts....that can be true because I did install my inlet bout 3 days after my medieval mount install...it might have slightly shifted the positioning of the battery box

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=135372.msg2923033#msg2923033 date=1234161313]
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=135372.msg2918859#msg2918859 date=1233978204]
[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah I am thinking that stock bolt is too long...so medieval provided a shorter bolt to compensate for the thinner tripod bracket....who knows?

oh a side note I just installed my cp-e turbo inlet....the install was more PITA than I thought because of the fitment of the inlet....and someone else on another forum mentioned that it could be due to my medieval mounts....that can be true because I did install my inlet bout 3 days after my medieval mount install...it might have slightly shifted the positioning of the battery box
[/quote]

I heard that cp-e turbo inlet was PITA to install no matter what mounts you have. Even on stock mounts... I heard that is was off a bit and that is how it was made... Any updated review on the mounts? Did the loudness or vibrations settled down?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ryukensfj - yeah i heard a couple of other guys saying the fitment isn't all that with the cp-e inlet...and they are on the stock mounts...i'm not blaming cp-e though...you have to realize 3 inches is huge and 2.5 inch inlets are already having problems with clearance...so just imagine 3 inches in that small section between batt box and engine :)

and its only been 4 days since the installation so I will update in about 2 more weeks....the ONLY noticeable difference i can tell is that my idle has settled down....it almost sounds liek stock at idle.....this is of course after FULLY warmed up....i have not tried it with the a/c

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=darkstarmotorsports link=topic=135372.msg2928543#msg2928543 date=1234331102]
the noise will slowly go away once the mounts are broken in. But remember these are a upgraded mounts, so there will be a little bit more noise over the OEM mounts
[/quote]

i do understand they are aftermarket mounts....and i know increase in noise is normal...but let me tell you...my car sounds like a gutted integra type r with a 10k redline......haha no seriously though...it's not THAT bad...but its really close in that regards..

just letting everybody know its not the VIBES...its the noise....vibes is very acceptable in my book...the noise is not...and for those who drive my car and think the noise is acceptable....then they have messed up ear drums :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=135372.msg2933440#msg2933440 date=1234496617]
[quote author=darkstarmotorsports link=topic=135372.msg2928543#msg2928543 date=1234331102]
the noise will slowly go away once the mounts are broken in. But remember these are a upgraded mounts, so there will be a little bit more noise over the OEM mounts
[/quote]

i do understand they are aftermarket mounts....and i know increase in noise is normal...but let me tell you...my car sounds like a gutted integra type r with a 10k redline......haha no seriously though...it's not THAT bad...but its really close in that regards..

just letting everybody know its not the VIBES...its the noise....vibes is very acceptable in my book...the noise is not...and for those who drive my car and think the noise is acceptable....then they have messed up ear drums :lol:
[/quote]

Interesting. Even though I only have the tranny mount, I didn't notice a very high increase in noise. Just a little bit when downshifting or decelerating in gear. I wonder if the passenger side mount just puts it over the edge as far as noise.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=135372.msg2933480#msg2933480 date=1234497419]
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=135372.msg2933440#msg2933440 date=1234496617]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting. Even though I only have the tranny mount, I didn't notice a very high increase in noise. Just a little bit when downshifting or decelerating in gear. I wonder if the passenger side mount just puts it over the edge as far as noise.
[/quote]

i am thinking this may be where the noise is coming from...cuz it seems like alot of the deceleration noise is coming from the pass side...not the drivers side....i mean the clutch let off and the gear whine is def coming from the drivers side...but the deceleration noise is all through the cabin but i noticed alot is from the passenger side

1 - 20 of 64 Posts