Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Sponsored Editorial Content
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Ultimate hot hatch shootout
by David Pratte

Hot hatches have been, for the most part, conspicuously absent from the North American market. Sure, VW has been kind enough to share the GTI with us, but compared to the European market we’ve had pretty slim pickings when it comes to front-drive hatchbacks with bold styling and the performance to match.

Mazda did their best to put an end to that in 2007 though, blessing us with the first generation Mazdaspeed3 and then, in 2010, turning up the aggression with the even shoutier version in production today. One of the most powerful wrong-wheel drive cars ever offered to an American audience, we certainly found its 263-hp 2.3-liter turbocharged 4-banger to be plenty potent in a head-to-head matchup against the 2012 Honda Civic Si last year.

You wouldn’t know it based on their North American hatchback history, which has at best been lukewarm, but Ford has a long history of building some of the hottest hatches in Europe. Take the utterly bonkers 2011 Focus RS500, for example, a matte black and fender flared 350-hp beast that was only available in select European markets. But now, thanks to Ford’s world-market approach, we’ve finally been treated to a truly hot hatch for the domestic market, the 2013 Focus ST.

It may not be as over-the-top as the RS500, but with a 252-hp 2.0-liter Ecoboost engine, sophisticated European design inside and out, and some surprisingly advanced electronics controlling power delivery, it would certainly appear that the Focus ST is a very serious contender for the title of America’s hottest hatch. But is it enough to overcome the Mazdaspeed3’s stump-pulling 280 lb-ft of torque and highly effective Torsen limited slip differential? We headed to our local test track to find out.
Read the complete Ford Focus ST vs Mazdaspeed3 comparison at AutoGuide.com

· Registered
40 Posts
Wishing Ford would produce a WRC Fiesta for the masses. :eek:oh:
"select euro markets"?!? North America is the greatest there is! Cmon Ford!
I would test drive an AWD FoMoCo tomorrow if they had a contender vs Evo/wrx. FWD is good for learning how to drive.
How about cutting the mustang v8 in half, then adding two ecoboost turbos? Or two turbos in the v6... I expected more. 5.9 is fast but FWD? Make it awd so I can hit that in winter.
And I will line up with the first ST I see in my wife's 150k 3. Article sounded like a favor to the folks at ford/mazda PR.

I think Ford is having identity issues producing fwd Econo boxes that are sporty. I give the focus ST four years tops in Production.

· Registered
226 Posts
The MS3 has been on top for awhile now. There comes a time, when the competition catches up. Hence,the Focus ST.

· Registered
1,871 Posts
Good comparison. I enjoyed reading it although I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the MS3's recorded 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds. That's one of the slowest recorded times I think I've seen for the Speed3.

· Registered
40 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but isn't the speed3 built more for 45-70, 50-90mph runs because of a short 1-2? The 0-60 time is slower bc of the extra shift with a 6spd? If 2nd was geared to 65-70 mph and less a concern for overall mpgs, the speed would smoke the the focus. Unfortunately that's not the case

· Registered
115 Posts
Good comparison. I enjoyed reading it although I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the MS3's recorded 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds. That's one of the slowest recorded times I think I've seen for the Speed3.
I agree. 6.5 seconds is one of slowest I've seen recorded for the Speed3 as well. Most GTI's are in the 6.5 range and usually the Speed3 beats the GTI in the 0-60 test, although not by much. But the Focus ST also has meatier tires so it is possible that the ST does have a faster 0-60 time but this 6.5 for Speed3 does seem a tad slow to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.