Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By early 2005, performance junkies can expect a turbocharged Mazdaspeed 3 sports compact that should pump out at least 200 horsepower (or up to 240, if Mazda decides to offer an all-wheel-drive version). The hotted-up 3 should be followed by Mazdaspeed's take on the mid-size 6.

It seems like every automaker -- from Mercedes and BMW to Ford and Cadillac -- is obsessed with bringing more power to the people. But Davis stresses that Mazda speed is no racetrack rookie. Begun as a side project of a Tokyo Mazda dealer in the '70s, Mazdaspeed evolved into the automaker's successful racing operation in the'80s, then into performance parts and vehicles. Mazda remains the only Japanese automaker to capture an overall win at the storied 24 Hours of LeMans, accomplishing the feat in 1991 with a rotary-engine prototype.

"Our performance cars are true to our inherent nature," Davis says. "We're not starting with some SUV or cushy luxury car."

from CNN.com

I know this will prolly start a Sh!t Storm but this is a fact, but however I will mention that they didnt say if Mazuda<mazda> will be bringing the MS to the states, I would consider that they would considering considerable market share.

EDIT: Moved to Mazdaspeed. :twisted:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
egad I am tired

considering the consider that I am farking tired.

LOL

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Thanks for the information! But...

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!

It seems like reasons for sitting on my money are building up and I may wait until next year to make my move if the MS3 comes out with AWD (I don't care much about power since the "s" already has a enough) along with the A3 Sportback.

DAMN!

·
Registered
427 Posts
As has been noted in some industry press releases, the Mazdaspeed3 will be based upon the 2.0L engine, not the 2.3L. This is due to cross country racing classifications, where it is important to not be above 2.0L. Same reason why the Subaru WRX is a 2.0L turbo.

·
Registered
187 Posts
... which brings to mind the obvious question about the availability of a turbocharger kit for the 2.3L engine. Personally, I haven't heard of one available for the MZ6 yet, so I'm not sure what the outlook is like for one being developed anytime soon. :(

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yes, there are turbo's available for the 2.3L... just not in the US yet. Greddy makes one in JPN, for example.

The problem is really the ECU tuning more than anything else.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
greddy

Turbos are in the process of being made for the 6i or simply stated the Mazda 3 block. Albeit the turbo will prolly be a lil different when talking about the 6i frame or the Maz3s frame, to make room for the snail, cooler and whatnot, ....thought comes to mind tho,.....most rally cars have a hood mounted intercooler, .,.....any of you boyz got photoshop skillz can you put a good looking hood scoop on a mazda 3>?? .....but also there is considerable room to stash a cooler in the front......any suggs?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. Right now, everything is pure speculation. The Mz3 just recently came out and we're talking mzspeed already? Come on guys...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
reply to darian

Speculation is needed or wanted, ...........wth do you think mazda is doing right now in building the MS3......they are speculating and throwing ideas around, same thing I and others are doing on this board, not all speculation is just about the mazdaspeed 3,.......there is other speculatory comments about the best coilcovers, springs, exhaust etc.......perhaps introspection is needed on your part, to figure out why you have a problem with talking about the up and coming posssibilites........*sigh*

Nuff said

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Mazdaspeed versions are becoming a default for Mazda. With the MSProtege and now the MSMiata and MS-RX-8 it's not far fetched that an 3 and the 6 would receieve the treatments in the near future. I'm actually coming to expect MS versions.

As far as the 200-240 hp and AWD. I'll believe that when I see it. Mazdaspeed, to me, has been a bit conservative when it comes to power upgrades and hasn't even considered AWD for their N.A. models. Nevertheless, I'll be crossing my fingers :).

·
Registered
481 Posts
now that would be a fun car! AWD rocks...

im really crossing my fingers for AWD with the regular 2.3 tho like zaimon wants... a competitor for the AWD Vibe/Matrix/Aerio that will blow them all away!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i asked about a mazdaspeed version from the dealer that i purchased my 3 from and he replied that mazdaspeed cars are only produced in a model's last year of production. this seems to follow since the mazdaspeed protege was a 2003/2003.5 model and the mazdaspeed miata arriving will likely be the current miata platform's last interation before a new generation miata.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I realize that the MS3 is coming in the future. But they will not have it coming so soon after just the brand new launch of the Mz3. It's just the nature of the business, the product life cycle/span.

Don't get me wrong, a meesage board is deisgned to collect various opinions. I can have mine as well. Anyone can speculate and fantasize about the upcoming Mz3 all they want. AWD, 240 HP +, etc. My point is that speculation is great, but until its not factual, lets not get our hopes up for all these rumoured specs.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
darian said:
I realize that the MS3 is coming in the future. But they will not have it coming so soon after just the brand new launch of the Mz3. It's just the nature of the business, the product life cycle/span.

Don't get me wrong, a meesage board is deisgned to collect various opinions. I can have mine as well. Anyone can speculate and fantasize about the upcoming Mz3 all they want. AWD, 240 HP +, etc. My point is that speculation is great, but until its not factual, lets not get our hopes up for all these rumoured specs.
I agree. Tuned factory models tend to appear at the middle or last half of the current model cycles. Maybe Mazda can surprise us but normally that's how it is.

·
Registered
225 Posts
AFAIK, there's only been the Protegéspeed so far. Aren't we waiting for a Mazdaspeed RX-8 soon? That car is not in its EOL cycle.

Let's think positive, folks! :)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
M3-GT said:
darian said:

I agree. Tuned factory models tend to appear at the middle or last half of the current model cycles. Maybe Mazda can surprise us but normally that's how it is.
I wish I could disagree... I'm not sure if the Mazdaspeed RX-8 will be coming stateside.

Some wishful thinking:

Subaru Impreza WRX, STi
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Honda Civic Si

All appeared (save the STi) within two years of that generation's primary year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
zaimon said:
M3-GT said:
darian said:

I wish I could disagree... I'm not sure if the Mazdaspeed RX-8 will be coming stateside.

Some wishful thinking:

Subaru Impreza WRX, STi
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Honda Civic Si

All appeared (save the STi) within two years of that generation's primary year.
What is the life cycle of a car line? 4-5 years? So seeing a MS3 in two years time sounds about right.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Econo-Driving

I'm an econo driver.

The MZ3 provides me with a car that's high horsepower as a bonus, while still maintaining amazing fuel economy. For someone like me, the MS3 doesn't make any sense because more than likely it's going to use Ultra octane gas, and I really can't afford to be busting out of the 87 octane market just yet. I'll save my money for car repairs/maintenance/conditioning, as well as having a life.

A car like this wasn't even available previously. For someone that could barely afford a Sentra or a Corolla, this car was a blessing. I saw it, asked about it, read about it, test-drove it and bought it all within 2 weeks. I have to say so far, so good.

Mazda makes awesome cars, and of course there's a market for the MS3, it's just not mine. I would imagine for many others looking to seek that bang for the buck for the cost of running a car, it will be the same scenerio.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Absolutely true!

It wasn't even 3 or 4 years ago that many compact cars made over 120hp. Since Nissan introduced the currrent Altima, power in mainstream passenger cars has peaked, so much, that the power being delivered to today's Accords, Imprezas and Neons is nigh unneccesary.

As it is, the 160hp Mz3s is fine for me. What's tempting in that speculative MS3 is the AWD platform which results in improved handling and little more security when driving on those snowy roads.

Come again? How much do those snow tires help with winter driving?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts