Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=172276.msg3655522#msg3655522 date=1273647311]
No, they have the same number of main coils: 5 full winds and two half-winds. I have held both in person. Look at the angle of the two "half" winds on the main springs (which are flattened). In the kw pic, the eye counts them all as full coils, but the ms one you easily miss counting one. They are actually the same, look closer.
[/quote]

Ok I am home now and holding the MS coil in my hand.
I am holding it at the exact same orientation as the KW in the pic, and comparing them.
They are not the same. 100% certain.

The MS coil has exactly 1 extra coil.

Didnt manage to get the pic in the exact same orientation, by myself with cellphone FTL, but should give the jist, I numbered the coils and marked the ends in paint.

If you start counting just to the right of the top end, you get KW 5.2 coils, MS 6.2 coils.

5.2 coils

6.2 coils

Discussion starter · #23 ·
[quote author=budgy link=topic=172276.msg3655985#msg3655985 date=1273682225]
do we actually know scientifically if there is any difference in the gauge of wire? if not, then the MS coils have a higher preload from the helper spring?
[/quote]

Nope.

If someone can measure the diameter of the wire and diameter of their KW coils with a caliper, I would go and get some calipers to accurately measure these.
But with the coating not even that would be accurate to the actual gauge of the wire.

My guess is the MS coils are lower rate main spring, with a higher preload from the higher rate helper.

[quote author=FreeFlyFreak link=topic=172276.msg3655995#msg3655995 date=1273682696]
[quote author=budgy link=topic=172276.msg3655985#msg3655985 date=1273682225]
do we actually know scientifically if there is any difference in the gauge of wire? if not, then the MS coils have a higher preload from the helper spring?
[/quote]

Nope.

If someone can measure the diameter of the wire and diameter of their KW coils with a caliper, I would go and get some calipers to accurately measure these.
But with the coating not even that would be accurate to the actual gauge of the wire.

My guess is the MS coils are lower rate main spring, with a higher preload from the higher rate helper.
[/quote]

That would make sense because of the limited adjustment range on the MS version. You can run a softer spring with reduced risk of bump stop contact.

Has anyone set the compression and rebound on their KW V3 to the near softest setting? I wonder how much that changes ride quality given the stiff springs. Ive had mine for years and never touched the adjustment but Im kinda tired of the harshness at this point.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.