Mazda3 Forums banner

MAZDASPEED EXHAUST 6MONTH REVIEW (now with pics)

13K views 126 replies 38 participants last post by  needmazda 
#1 ·
As some of you remember my original post I installed a MazdaSpeed exhaust about 6 months ago. I commented in the original post about having to have the 3 piece exhaust welded as the clamps provided still permitted exhaust leaks. Plus I felt the exhaust drones alot at 3000-3500 RPM.
Well after 6 months of ownership I must give the exhaust a thumbs down... For a few weeks now Ive been getting small backfires while decelerating/when I let off the gas. I put the car up in the air to check for leaks thinking that the welds I had done might have developed a leak. To my surprise and great disappointment the factory weld on the pipe coming out of the back of the muffler was cracked and leaking.
The car is at a local muffler shop getting the Mazdaspeed muffler section rewelded.....
Due to this problem my recommendation if your looking for a exhaust for your MZ3 is to stay away from the MazdaSpeed brand one.... :(

(Note posted pics of the rewelded muffler where the break was as well as the new resonator...See page 2)

#2 ·
Re: MAZDASPEED EXHAUST 6MONTH REVIEW

Um I thought those are warrantied for a year correct? Why didn't you get Mazda to fix it?

"MAZDASPEED "Green" Performance Accessories must be specifically approved by Mazda for their particular application. These parts are warranted for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor."

#3 ·

[quote author=raptor3 link=topic=66400.msg1138739#msg1138739 date=1168275524]
Um I thought those are warrantied for a year correct? Why didn't you get Mazda to fix it?

"MAZDASPEED "Green" Performance Accessories must be specifically approved by Mazda for their particular application. These parts are warranted for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor."
[/quote]

this is true, I just installed my ms exhaust, no leaks now that I clamped it correct and it is covered for 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor as he said.

#4 ·

wow....not good news for fellow owners. he put it on himself which voids the warrenty with part....prolly would of had a time justifying any warrenty claim with the welds too

I had mine on for around 6 months and haven't had any problems (dealer installed, July)....no backfiring at all. I also just cleaned/polished the tip up. Everything looked there....I'll be doing an oil change soon and I can inspect everything better then.

#5 ·

Not installed at Mazda. also I would need to take it off and bring to them and then they (dealer) would ship it off to getchecked. Finally after a few days/weeks I would get a replacement. Meanwhile my car is without a muffler...Dont have a spare to install in car which is my daily driver. I dont think it would sound all that great...

#6 ·

I just had the same weld break on my MS exhaust, but my dealer, who I didn't even get it from but had install it for $40, replaced it for free under warranty. I had it for about 9 months, but the new exhaust seems so much better. No resonance at that 65-70mph and no backfires unless I tap the gas pedal after coasting. I am very happy I got this new one, and would tell you to try to get it replaced with a new one. Good luck.

#9 ·

heh, and I thought it was my installer who broke it. My speed exhaust just broke too, had to pay to have it re-welded, the car was already on the lift, didn't want to bother with the dealer.

the sound is not that bad, but the breakage issues are annoying -- thumbs down magnaflow!

#12 ·

usually mazdaspeed systems are manufactured by Bosal...at least it is for the Protege, miata, and Mazda6, but then again those systems were only axle-back and not cat-back.

I'm beginning to lean towards racing beat also, mainly due to the fact it has a resonator and is constructed out of SS. Now if I can only find an in-car sound clip of the RacingBeat, to verify that it is not excessively resonant and loud ... it'll pretty much seal the deal and NSN will receive an order from me. :D

#13 ·

[quote author=sok07 link=topic=66400.msg1140484#msg1140484 date=1168358002]
usually mazdaspeed systems are manufactured by Bosal...at least it is for the Protege, miata, and Mazda6, but then again those systems were only axle-back and not cat-back.

I'm beginning to lean towards racing beat also, mainly due to the fact it has a resonator and is constructed out of SS. Now if I can only find an in-car sound clip of the RacingBeat, to verify that it is not excessively resonant and loud ... it'll pretty much seal the deal and NSN will receive an order from me. :D
[/quote]

I heard a clip on hear somewhere of the racing beat, sounded pretty aggressive to me. Louder then the ms exhaust I'll tell ya that in comparison to the clips I've heard. If you like loud and aggressive then go for it, it had a very nice tone but too loud for my taste. Looks and sounds like a good product though

#15 ·

yeah...but the only clip was taken w/ the camera at the rear where the sound is amplified a bit. I'm more interested in-cabin noise and resonance under normal driving conditions. :D

#16 ·

[quote author=sok07 link=topic=66400.msg1140558#msg1140558 date=1168360198]
yeah...but the only clip was taken w/ the camera at the rear where the sound is amplified a bit. I'm more interested in-cabin noise and resonance under normal driving conditions. :D
[/quote]

I believe the clip I heard was inside the cabin at night and it sounded pretty loud, nice but loud

#17 ·

[quote author=NYKNIGHT link=topic=66400.msg1140571#msg1140571 date=1168361023]
I believe the clip I heard was inside the cabin at night and it sounded pretty loud, nice but loud
[/quote]

do you have the link?

#18 ·

I can't find it, I've been looking for it

#19 ·

Im the guy with the racing beat exhaust. I took an outside clip of the exhaust revving, but never one inside the car. If people are interested in what it sounds like, I could take one for sure. Ive had the exhaust for quite a while now and I would say its very mellow.

Ive driven my mom around in the car, and she hates modified cars, but she didnt even notice that I changed out the exhaust. In fact, she still has no idea. I think part of the reason why it is so mellow is because the muffler is a chambered design versus a straight through like most aftermarket mufflers.

I have also noticed that when the exhaust is cold it is only slightly louder than stock. As the exhaust warms up it gets a little louder. It also never backfires or makes grumbling popping noises when engine braking or inbetween shifts.

One final note is that the quality is absolutely flawless. I have had no issues and every part of the exhaust still looks new besides being a little dirtier. I have had no problems with welds breaking or anything like that. I had it installed at a muffler shop and the guy was amazed at the quality and how well the exhaust fit the car.

#20 ·

LG...that's what I like to read. From the specs and pics I've seen it appears that the RacingBeat is the better choice when it comes to construction. The mazdaspeed exhaust appears to be aluminized steel, while the RB system is SS throughout and flanged mounted (will be welded when installed ). I'd easily shell out an extra $30 for it and for RB's reputation.

I'm certainly interested to hear a interior audio/video clip of under normal driving conditions (3000-3500rpm shift points w/ short period of 55-65mph cruising). The thing that I'm worried about is resonance within the cabin...the muffler is mounted right under the driver side rear seat so it leads me to believe that system w/o any resonator installed would lead to excessive noise in the highway cruising range (55-65mph). This tends me to assume that the RB system w/ resonator and 'chambered' muffler would be a bit more tame sounding than the MS w/o resonator.

#21 ·

yup...thats what I like to hear as well....

I might have to take a look at my exhaust in the summer to make sure it's not cracking anywhere...I'd be more inclined to straigt pipe the RB rather than the MSP exhaust.

sok07: the MSP exhaust is Stainless.

#22 ·

The only bit of droning I get is right around 3k RPM, doesnt matter what gear I'm in, 3k RPM is the spot for drone. So on the freeway, theres a bit of droning at around 55-60, but then the drone disappears and I can be cruising at 75-80 and the car will sound completely stock. Its kind of strange, but I have gotten used to it, and 75-80 is the speed I drive at most of the time on the freeway, so I dont really mind.

I don't start school for another two weeks and I have the day off work today, so Ill drive around and get some sound clips up as I have nothing else to do LOL.

Stay tuned...

#23 ·

[quote author=blam link=topic=66400.msg1140840#msg1140840 date=1168368930]
[/quote]

Ah, ok. It's just from the pictures I've seen the stainless steel of the MS unit fresh out of the box doesn't appear to have any luster...almost appears to be aluminized steel. :D

#24 ·

[quote author=sok07 link=topic=66400.msg1140873#msg1140873 date=1168369658]
[quote author=blam link=topic=66400.msg1140840#msg1140840 date=1168368930]
[/quote]

Ah, ok. It's just from the pictures I've seen the stainless steel of the MS unit fresh out of the box doesn't appear to have any luster...almost appears to be aluminized steel. :D
[/quote]

yeah...they just didn't polish the piping like some of the other companies.

#25 ·

The MS exhaust they took off mine looked really good even with some of the bad weather here in WI, except for the cracked weld. But if anyone has an older MS exhaust, this new one seems to have addressed some of the problems with droning and backfires. I was also surprised at the low end it feels like I was losing with the crack. It was cracked all the way around and would actually move around under acceleration and rattle over bumps, but I am very pleased at how the dealership took care of me.

#26 ·

looking at the price of getting mine welded up (the clamps) I was quoted 40$ for the 2 welds...not bad at all.

but if cracking is an issue for 1st gen ones I am in big trouble, because I was the first person on this board to own the exhaust.

I was going to straight pipe it as well (I have a high flow right now) but the cost of a stainless race pipe flanged and installed + the 2 welds would run me about 250$CDN

I am almost tempted to sell my exhaust as is with the high flow and get the HKS now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.