Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if covered, but there seem to be many cai threads out there. I was wondering what everyone thinks about the sound from the CAI.

To me its a little weird sounding. Then again my first real CAI. I had one before for a N/A car made from 3" pip with a K&N on it. And maybe thats the difference here. Or maybe that snail looking thing on the back is the cause. But my previous intake was real throaty sounding, and this one sounds more suction from a metal straw. Will take some getting used to. But wanted to see what everyone else thinks about the sound from their speed CAI.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't have the MS CAI but I had a similar setup on a MR2 Turbo.

The turbo compressor isolates the engine from the intake so to speak so you won't get a throaty sound.
On the MR2, it sounded like someone switched on a vacuum cleaner every time the turbo spooled up.

·
Registered
756 Posts
[quote author=Chipotle link=topic=71040.msg1247413#msg1247413 date=1172994581]
Not sure if covered, but there seem to be many cai threads out there. I was wondering what everyone thinks about the sound from the CAI.

To me its a little weird sounding. Then again my first real CAI. I had one before for a N/A car made from 3" pip with a K&N on it. And maybe thats the difference here. Or maybe that snail looking thing on the back is the cause. But my previous intake was real throaty sounding, and this one sounds more suction from a metal straw. Will take some getting used to. But wanted to see what everyone else thinks about the sound from their speed CAI.
[/quote]

I could not have described the sound better than you did. My wife wanted me to pay a dealer for installation, but I went ahead and did it myself. After she drove with me, she said "What's that noise?" "I told you you would brake it." I told her that's is how it is supposed to sound just to get her off my back, but I expected a different sound and not like "suction from a metal straw" with a "swisch" kind of noise. I guess that I'll guess used to it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
sounds like turbo spool up to me !!! i love it !!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love the sound as well. I had the Mazdaspeed CAI on my 06 MZ3 and it was a different sound altogether, no whoosh.Now I drive around aimlessly just to here that sound. 8)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yeah its not your typical induction noise that we are all used to on our previous NA cars. My wife rode with me yesterday and said "what the heck is that noise?" Its definitely different. I do miss that growl when you blip the throttle, but im more than happy to hear it replaced by that high pitched turbo squeel. Anyone had another drive their car while they stand outside? I wonder what it sounds like from the road side.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
you guys need to start complaining about all the $$$ they spend on purses and shoes...then the wife will keep quiet...lol and enjoy the CAI.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm with you on this. The last CAI I had was on my 99 Si. The intake made the little engine sounds beastlike and oh what sweet melody it was when vtec kicked in. It seems like a CAI adds a throaty sound to N/A engines and more of a high-pitched noise to turbo cars. Personally, I'm not crazy about the way my Mazdaspeed intake sounds, but I'm more than impressed with the power gains I'm feeling.

- alex

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
the sad thing is she knows it is the sound of money being sucked out of your wallet. it makes you want more and more stuff!

·
Registered
141 Posts
[quote author=alexio senchez link=topic=71040.msg1247876#msg1247876 date=1173032361]
Personally, I'm not crazy about the way my Mazdaspeed intake sounds, but I'm more than impressed with the power gains I'm feeling.
[/quote]

Same here. Sound is sorta weak, but the gains feel real.....

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
It sounds mean with a real bov not that stock crap. Then the intake makes some noises that cars next to you wonder wtf is wrong with your car lol

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Its the nature of the beast...

In naturally aspirated cars, you get a growl with the amount of air you draw in

In turbo cars, the exhaust gases push the blades of the turbo creating a VACUUM on the intake side... So thats why it sounds like a vacuum... air is not just flowing in, its being SUCKED in... and yes, your intake piping is metal, hence the metal straw :)

Also, its not your CAI thats making the noise, the car was already making that noise you just pulled the silencer off (stock intake)

Besides, higher frequencies(turbo spool) travel further than lower frequencies(engine noise)... thats why it dominates the growl and its mostly all you hear. Add a turboback exhaust, youll get some of the boominess back :) gives it a good balance... even adds a little wastegate flutter on spool down... yumm..

·
Registered
96 Posts
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=71040.msg1249087#msg1249087 date=1173087687]

In turbo cars, the exhaust gases push the blades of the turbo creating a VACUUM on the intake side... So thats why it sounds like a vacuum... air is not just flowing in, its being SUCKED in... and yes, your intake piping is metal, hence the metal straw :)

Also, its not your CAI thats making the noise, the car was already making that noise you just pulled the silencer off (stock intake)

Besides, higher frequencies(turbo spool) travel further than lower frequencies(engine noise)... thats why it dominates the growl and its mostly all you hear. Add a turboback exhaust, youll get some of the boominess back :) gives it a good balance... even adds a little wastegate flutter on spool down... yumm..
[/quote]

I'm drooling right now from that description of adding the TBE to the car with the intake sound. I have the Mazdaspeed Exhaust and Race pipe on order - I cant wait.

It will sound like a bear trying to take a number 2 while sucking air through a metal pipe \m/ :rofl: :love: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
[quote author=c0ldFuzion link=topic=71040.msg1249414#msg1249414 date=1173111037]
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=71040.msg1249087#msg1249087 date=1173087687]

[/quote]

I'm drooling right now from that description of adding the TBE to the car with the intake sound. I have the Mazdaspeed Exhaust and Race pipe on order - I cant wait.

It will sound like a bear trying to take a number 2 while sucking air through a metal pipe \m/ :rofl: :love: :mrgreen:
[/quote]

someone please make a video clip lol... i loved my cai on my matrix xrs, planning on getting one for the ms3 when i get it in the spring

·
Registered
612 Posts
swooo.... PISCH!!!! Every shift. Kills my mpg, I keep getting back onto the boost just to hear it again :lol:

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
[quote author=proclam link=topic=71040.msg1249695#msg1249695 date=1173117343]
swooo.... PISCH!!!! Every shift. Kills my mpg, I keep getting back onto the boost just to hear it again :lol:
[/quote]

Youre now officially a Boost Addict :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts