Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the removal of the stock intake within two hours that seemed eternal. I got stuck removing the air director (instruction 16). There is one instruction missing that I cannot understand (I'm a newbie at this things). What is # 10: "Remove the two bolts screws securing the fuel pump resistor ballast to the driver's side frame rail" What the hell is that. I don't even know what is the "fuel pump resistor ballast". Help please! I guess that I have to do this before doing the installation of the MazdaSpeed intake.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
stand in front of the car, look down in the hole where the air box was. Locate the driver side frame rail (it will be color matched to your car and is a beam going front to back).
directly behind the drivers side headlight on the frame rail is a silver box, that is the fuel balast. Under the fuel balast is the bracket holding it to the frame rail with 2 10mm head bolts.
you should be good to go from there.
fyi, the two bolts that are used to hold the fuel balast are not reused, so dont freak out when you put it all back together and have 2 silver bolts with no home. It took me a minute to realize what was up myself. :p
I did not unplug the harness to the balast, and it didnt really get in the way of installation, so if its hard to unplug it, dont sweat it

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I'll go back at it with your instructions. I'll let you know the result later.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is the fuel balast has a sticker that reads "Caution. Hot. Hands Off!" in read letters.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
yes
this is probably the reason they say to let the car cool down if you were recently running it, just a guess since nothing else removed would be much warmer than ambient

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. There is at least one drawing that is not 100% accurate. It took me exactly 4 hours to finish it, including putting the tire back. It's my first time. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll go out for a spin (it's 11:00pm here) and make some comments tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
glad you got it done :) dont sweat the time involved, its not a race. the important part is that you installed it and get to have that satisfaction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts