however, im not sure how this works?

do i need to buy an external wastegate
does the mazda have one stock or no?

what company make this for mazdaspeed 3

thats pretty much it..thanks for any help you guys can give! =]

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
The stock turbo has an internal wastegate. If you're not sure how it all works, you're honestly better off just leaving it alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can I just buy an external waste gate and have it installed, and then add the screamer pipe?

i gotta have that sound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would something like the tial 38mm external wastegate work w/ the screamer pipe??

i just need to know the brand, and i guess the size (in mm's?)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You would have to weld the gate closed , then take off the wastegate, then get a new manifold and DEN get the external wategate.
I would leave it, thats about 500bux for just sound?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You would probably also need a tuning solution like the standback (or at the very least a MBC) if you want the car to run as well as it does stock, since an external wastegate like that won't control boost the same way as the factory internal wastegate. The only reason to run an external wastegate is if you upgrade to a larger turbo. It's not worth all the extra stuff you'll need to change in order to support using it with just the stock turbo.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
here's info from a speed owner. you need a turbo with an ewg and you need a turbo manifold that allows for an ewg. after that, it's as simple as getting a screamer pipe made to attach to the ewg. you can do all this on the stock ecu if you really wanted to but that's a lot of money to invest just for a sound thats rediculously loud.

that being said, don't be a ricer. do mods because they are necessary to increase performance, not because your friend has it and you want your car to sound call.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think your associating that sound for performance....
You have to move some pretty fair amounts of air to get that kind of sound from an ewg.
If thats your bag, I guess go for it.

Why dont you make a hood scoop out of a office trash can?
But hey, it's your car.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Unblot your downpipe and call it a day :)
It will be cooler since you will hear the spool! :p
[glow=red,2,300]But really dude, I wouldn't do it.[/glow]
It's not worth it and for the amount it would cost you, you could buy a FMIC and make a little extra HP with less heatsoak!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts