Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, like many of you I have had the CEL come on for the second time (first reset itself after 250 miles and before dealer could look at it). This time it's been on for almost 400 miles and 2 fill-ups. I also have the infamous creaking windshield under certain (cold) conditions.

But I noticed over the weekend that there was oil on the garage floor, at the rear corners of the car. A quick look underneath revealed that both rear shocks were dripping shock oil. The shock bodies are grimy and covered in a thin residue of oil and road dirt, like the bottom of an old engine oil pan that has not been properly cleaned after oil changes. Right rear is worse than left, but both are leaking.

Nearest Mazdaspeed dealer is 1.5 hours away, and the dealer I bought the car from is 3 hours away. Fortunately, my local Mazda dealer can service the car. So it goes in tomorrow morning for a once-over.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
where are you located? Im going to guess you are in cold climate and perhaps the seals have hardened from the freezing weather or gotten contaminated from road grime and compromised the fit of the shaft seal. Its certainly not right regardless where you live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm located in Northern Indiana, where the weather since we took delivery of the car has been unseasonably warm.

I suspect some issue with the seals, either contamination or failure of some sort. Or possibly the shaft is not properly surfaced causing rapid wear of the seal. But as you say, either way it is not right for 2800 miles. Who knows how long they have been leaking.

So far, no appreciable change in ride or handling. But the oil stains on the garage floor are annoying.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Man that sucks....

Have you hit any unusually large pot-holes or something that may have caused damage?

Keep us posted with the dealer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brecker:

No large potholes so far (but Indiana winter isn't over yet).

My local dealer has ordered replacements which should arrive in a few days for install. Fortunately there was no arguement, and the dealer was able to get it handled, even though they are not a Mazdaspeed dealer. The service writer told me that they can perform work on any items that are common with other platforms, and just need to call for approval to perform work on unique components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts