Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nestled amongst fields of in Kern County California is Buttonwillow Raceway. Many moons ago, Yokut Indians used this area as a meeting place identified by a lone button bush that resembled a willow tree. Now-a-days Buttonwillow Raceway has become the Mecca of Californian go-fast enthusiast. The track can be run in many configuration, configuration 13 has become especially popular with which several time attack records have been set. It is therefore easy to evaluate a car’s performance level using this configuration. Just for reference purpose, the HKS time attack monster EVO set a Super Lap Battle record of 1 min 43.523 seconds in 2007. The NASA Time Trial D class, which I’m competing in this year, has a class record of 2min 5.96 seconds. Having used Toyo RA1 r-compound tire for 2 previous track days, I was anxious to see how my Mazdaspeed3 will stack up to the rest.

go here for the rest of the story:
http://www.gofastadventure.com/?p=14

and now for the video (camera angle now pointing straight ahead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co38wWKcX0s#hq

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
miss buttonwillow...r u gonna make it to mazdafest?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice driving, looks like a fun car on the track.

I will try mine soon when the break-in will be done. :)

First FWD performance car for me, but it's got a good diff so it's not too bad.

Your blog is interesting and I found some good info on it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice writeup, good video!

Cool blog.

This car is a lot of fun on the track. I get annoyed with it sometimes on some tighter corners, fighting for some grip for a decent exit speed can get frustrating. Otherwise this car is so easy to drive hard, and very easy to catch when you make a mistake.

I too use the XP8/AX6 combo + Motul RBF600. My rotors are shot now and my last event the pedal got very spongy and getting close to the floor. New rotors and maybe new lines should help. I haven't had the pleasure of using dot-r's or slicks yet, should be a real treat. I don't think I'm ready to waste a set yet, my driving needs some work. Habitually over driving the car and tires. Good example, I went to HHR track for the first time. My first session I was in the 1.34's, and my 4th session I was in the 1.34's. Guess I didn't learn anything at all that day. Looking at the footage I'm once again like an angry gorilla at the wheel :lol:

Sorry for the tangent. Getting old and senile.

Good luck in FWD trials, this seems to be a good platform for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts