Mazda3 Forums banner

Do you think its marketing hype or a real possibility?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen this pic for a while now, but Ive been reading alot more about a 215hp +/- 2 variant. That would be one quick son of a bitch with a couple bolt ons and some drag radials.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I like it looong time. Front end looks much better than the current happiness.
If they did that to the new 3's I would have leaned more towards getting one.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I think it wont be released, at-least not in the US. If anything it will get released in Europe as they have the high hothatch demand

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=itstillruns link=topic=174527.msg3694377#msg3694377 date=1276366067]
I think it wont be released, at-least not in the US. If anything it will get released in Europe as they have the high hothatch demand
[/quote]

5 years ago everyone said the same about an MPS 3.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would drive one, but theres no way they would produce this vehicle. It would cannibalize sales for the mazdaspeed 3 and the engineering costs could be used on other vehicles. Best case scenario, is they make a wheel/body kit package and slap it on to make it look more sporty.

If they had extra R&D money lying around, the RX-8 would still be sold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[quote author=LandonElf link=topic=174527.msg3696701#msg3696701 date=1276556439]
I would drive one, but theres no way they would produce this vehicle. It would cannibalize sales for the mazdaspeed 3 and the engineering costs could be used on other vehicles. Best case scenario, is they make a wheel/body kit package and slap it on to make it look more sporty.

If they had extra R&D money lying around, the RX-8 would still be sold.
[/quote]

I don't think thats quiet true. First the MS2 in most rumors and concepts is only about 170hp so its not even in the same league as a MS3.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/03/la-2009-mazdaspeed2-tops-the-fun-per-pound-charts-in-la/

The picture is just a concept from a show, but the MS2 is still a possibility.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Vord,

I'm blocked from your link at work, can you give me the details on the powertrain? I saw 170hp, but is that NA or turbo?

Again, the mazda 2 was made to compete with cars like the Nissan Versa and Chevrolet Aveo. These are cars that start around $9900 and go up. Making a sport edtion would force the price well into the high teens and again, would cannibalize there bread and butter Mazda3.

HOWEVER, if they could make that sport edition without going turbo, they could keep the costs down. But let me restate that i am blocked from the site so i'm just going off of my own opinion.

As an accountant, i just cant see a business case for having two similarly priced high performance compacts (in addition to RX-8 and miata) in the North American market. If the performance model makes it to production, it will probably be only in the European and Asian markets.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=LandonElf link=topic=174527.msg3699039#msg3699039 date=1276706916]
Vord,

I'm blocked from your link at work, can you give me the details on the powertrain? I saw 170hp, but is that NA or turbo?

Again, the mazda 2 was made to compete with cars like the Nissan Versa and Chevrolet Aveo. These are cars that start around $9900 and go up. Making a sport edtion would force the price well into the high teens and again, would cannibalize there bread and butter Mazda3.

HOWEVER, if they could make that sport edition without going turbo, they could keep the costs down. But let me restate that i am blocked from the site so i'm just going off of my own opinion.

As an accountant, i just cant see a business case for having two similarly priced high performance compacts (in addition to RX-8 and miata) in the North American market. If the performance model makes it to production, it will probably be only in the European and Asian markets.
[/quote]
They wouldnt compete, they attract different buyers. A speed2 shopper cant afford a speed 3, the same way alot of speed 3 buyers couldnt afford a speed 6. It gives mazdaspeed an entry level vehicle.
Your arguement would also say that Fully loaded 2's would kill sales of entry level 3's. They are different vehicles with different customers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[quote author=budgy link=topic=174527.msg3699236#msg3699236 date=1276715419]
i agree with kas, a hot hatch with as much space as a Mini Cooper will not take away from entry level 3's that are okay for small families or people that need some decent amount of space
[/quote]

I see your point but that is a bad example. The mazdaspeed and mini cooper are direct competitors and are frequently compared.

BTW i just checked, the Mazda 2 is starting at 14K and the Mazda 3 is starting at a little above 15K. So i was wrong about my $9990 statement. I honestly dont see what the heck mazda is doing. Why make a subcompact and a compact within 1000 dollars of each other? Remember, the only reason the subcompact car line exists is to shave as much $ as possible off the purchase price.

With that math, that would put the Mazaspeed 2 at about 22K. Aghhh, i don't understand japanese car companies.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
[quote author=LandonElf link=topic=174527.msg3699329#msg3699329 date=1276718581]
i agree with kas, a hot hatch with as much space as a Mini Cooper will not take away from entry level 3's that are okay for small families or people that need some decent amount of space
[/quote]

I see your point but that is a bad example. The mazdaspeed and mini cooper are direct competitors and are frequently compared.

BTW i just checked, the Mazda 2 is starting at 14K and the Mazda 3 is starting at a little above 15K. So i was wrong about my $9990 statement. I honestly dont see what the heck mazda is doing. Why make a subcompact and a compact within 1000 dollars of each other? Remember, the only reason the subcompact car line exists is to shave as much $ as possible off the purchase price.

With that math, that would put the Mazaspeed 2 at about 22K. Aghhh, i don't understand japanese car companies.
[/quote]

and then the ms3 is tipping 30,000 bucks.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=LandonElf link=topic=174527.msg3699329#msg3699329 date=1276718581]
[/quote]

[/quote]

A 3 is a midsize not a compact, so there are two levels in between them to further add to the stupidity.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
[quote author=LandonElf link=topic=174527.msg3699623#msg3699623 date=1276734512]
A 3 is a midsize? I thought the 6 was a midsize, the 3 is a compact, and the 2 is a subcompact?
[/quote]

I would say so. Is the Honda Civic is compact? the Mazda 6 is comparable in size to the accord et al.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a window sticker for a 2010 speed, look at the gas mileage section. Sorry to burst the Sport-not-so-compact bubble surrounding the 3, but its a mid size car.
Sorry about the PDF if anyone can repost to a pic feel free.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts