Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mazda3's HIDs are real nice from what I have seen on these forums. They are just like BMW and Mercedes, they start off blue when they are cold, but as they warm up, they turn completely white. I like the way the beam is very wide.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The wide effect is the beauty of a projector light, I like it too. I was driving on a bridge yesterday and I noticed that I could see my lights on the rail of the bridge beginning at the very front of my car. I also like the HID projectors because there aren't any dim spots.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yea... I think projectors are the way to go for HID application. The arc produced by a Xenon bulb is much more of a point source than the filament in a Halogen bulb. Thus you can get predictable, controlled dispersion of the light by using a simple optical lense rather than a complex collection of mirrors.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LeeLee said:
Yea... I think projectors are the way to go for HID application. The arc produced by a Xenon bulb is much more of a point source than the filament in a Halogen bulb. Thus you can get predictable, controlled dispersion of the light by using a simple optical lense rather than a complex collection of mirrors.
I agree totally with you man.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other thing is that having projectors gives a more uniform light, no dots anywhere. Some good multi-reflectors put out a light beam similar to projector for example, on the newer toyota cars like the Camry, and Corolla with their new headlamp design, they put out a beam with no dots.

·
Registered
98 Posts
are these standard.

thats so aweome how they turned blue then white. i didnt know they were the same thing! and that is pretty amazing how they have these on such a cheap car!

and are these the same thing as hallogen lights?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much different from halogen my friend. They are 3 times brighter. They enable you to see like daylight almost.

·
Registered
98 Posts
but i thought somewhere that the 3 had halogen. its probably an upgrade.

but are these lights (the white ones) standard on any model?

·
Registered
62 Posts
vartex said:
but are these lights (the white ones) standard on any model?
Nope, they can be added on as options in the 4 door S trim, and the 5 door. In the US it's the XENON & TPMS PACKAGE retail $700.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jimida is correct

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol the grill doesn't look like that, lol that's a Mazda6 btw not a Mazda3. That Mazda6 has a retrofit HID kit, because the 6 doesn't come with HID as an option or standard. Only the 3 does.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did get the xenon’s but I haven't received the car yet. I don't think the grill lights up, back me up current owners. Those are probably just neon’s someone added on. Even though it's a little corny I kinda like the look of the grill with the neon’s.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
haha, those are cold cathods in the grill? I think I saw an effect like that in Final Fantasy VII (game).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol yah ur right

·
Registered
98 Posts
ya i know thats a mazda 6.
so the only way to get the clear lights is to get the package?

what lights do you think are better, the 6 or 3?

man im so confused. hid, xenon, halogen...which is which?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vartex said:
ya i know thats a mazda 6.
so the only way to get the clear lights is to get the package?

what lights do you think are better, the 6 or 3?

man im so confused. hid, xenon, halogen...which is which?
Well to be honest with you, if you were to get the HID and TPMS package, the 3 would be better than the 6, because the 6 doesn't offer HID. However, I believe their halognes are similar. They both use projector housings.

To answer your other question my friend, HID is a lighting system that uses xenon gases to power it's light beam. So in a way, you can say HID and xenon are the same. I know that there are those fake blue bulbs that claim to be xenon, but they aren't. They are designed to be look alikes.

Halogen, is another gas like Xenon. It is a mixture of gases from the halides which include Bromide, Chloride, etc. all those gasesous elements before teh noble gases on the periodic table. Scientists found out that Xenon which is a noble gas to be a much more effective gas than the Halides or Halogens. The xenon gases on HID kits use less energy (only 35 watts as oppossed to 55 watts on halogen), and are much more effective in lighting.

True HID xenon produces a color temperature of about 4100 Kelvins as oppossed to Halogens 2500 Kelvins or so. As the amount of Kelvins increase on the spectrum, the darker the light gets. For example 6000K is purple while 4100 is white. 5300K is sunlight color. HID systems also run on a ballast where as Halogens do not.

The cars you usually see with HID are the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. luckily, Mazda is offering this on their Mazda3 Hoooray!!!!!!

Another advantage of HID is they light up more of the road moreso than Halogen. If you have further questions, just post them. I have known about HID since it first came out in the U.S. in 1996.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One other thing, if you get the package, you only get the HID headlights, not clear turn markers. You'll get the luxury headlights though instead of Halogens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
thanks, i think ive got it.

so halogen lights are the white ones (just like HID), but has lesser impact. and the halogen lights cost an addition 700 of so and how much are the HID?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol no, Halogens are the yellow lights :cough:. And have much lesser impact. Almost all cars u see have halogens. the HID are the option and cost an extra 700 my friend. Halogen are standard.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts