Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my Mazda3 Sport GT just two month ago. It is a great driving car but at about 100 km/h there is quite a bit of road noise. Much more than on my 11 yeard old Nissan Altima, which I sold. Can anybody comment on how that noise can be reduced. Can it be that Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires make so much noise?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

2 things. This is an economy based car. The RSA's suck.

2 things you can do to improve. Do some soundproofing such as using dynomat in the door panels and trunk. Buy better tires.

You should add your location to your profile. This helps with some questions as models and trim vary by market. It also makes it easier to meet up with members in your area if you're inclined.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just across the border in Vancouver B.C. Thanks for your suggestions. How about liquid applied soundproofing of wheel cavities? Any suggestion on tire brand?

·
Registered
57 Posts
take the back to your dealer and have them call Goodyear with the problem. They might be able to swing you an upgrade. If the dealer stonewalls you try calling goodyear N/A direct and seeing if that gets you somewhere. \

You might find that the road noise will diminish with time. but best to try to get the switch when you only have a couple thousand miles on them. BUT since they are OEM you might not get anywhere with that.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
the tires are just plain loud, not defective. in addition to that, mazda did not encumber the car with tons of noise insulation. :p
you can certainly improve on both, and almost any quality replacement tire will be quieter. the funnier thing is how much they charge for replacement RS-As, lol. Some jerkwad congressman somewhere is trying to stop car modding to the point of only allowing oem replacement tires. if i meet him, i intend to kick him in the nuts. :p

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=Andy Vancouver link=topic=135474.msg2916543#msg2916543 date=1233898722]
I am just across the border in Vancouver B.C. Thanks for your suggestions. How about liquid applied soundproofing of wheel cavities? Any suggestion on tire brand?
[/quote]

yes, that sprayed or brushed on coating has been used bt at least one member and they were happy. i've not used it myself.
pulling up the carpet and installing rammat or dynamat would be good too (and behind the kicks)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, if you think the noise has increased dramatically since new, it might be something Goodyear will warranty and give some credit towards a new set. Depends on the mood of the service people that day as to whether they will back you or tell you to deal with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts