·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post info on your sedan:

Trim
Options

Price (If comfortable to share)
Dealer (So others can get a good deal if you did)

Your impression so far

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A guy on another board drove one today (some of you have already seen it there):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I got to drive a couple Mazda3's today. I work in television and got invited to a ride-and-drive put on by Mazda in Ann Arbor, MI. We had a little intro, discussed the options and key points, then took them out for an hour-and-a-half drive through some very twisty and scenic roads.

My first impression was that it is a very nice looking car. The fit and finish are great for a car in the $16k range. The textures of the interior are perfect. It doesn't look cheap, and everything is tight and rigid. I wish that we had them for a little at night so I could see the EL gauges in action. I assume they look just like the RX-8, though, since they were stollen from it. The seats are a nice cross between sporty and comfort with lumbar and height controls.

I drove a black 2.3L sedan with a 5-speed first. I own a MazdaSpeed and so the first thing that I noticed was that the shifter was in the right place! The car also has a telescoping/tilting steering wheel which was great. The clutch was a little light for my taste and took some getting used to, but is good for everyday driving.

The engine has good power, and I think that is will have amazing potential. There is plenty of room under the hood to fit a turbo-charger! It has a good amount of torque for city driving, and I lit up the 205/50/17's a few times. The transmission is unbelievably smoother than my MSP, and you can actually shift down into 1st while moving!

The suspension wasn't nearly as aggresive as my MSP's, but I didn't expect it to be. This car could be a road course champ with upgraded struts and springs. The chassis is super rigid, and I believe I heard them say that it is shared with the Volvo S40. I felt pretty comfortable taking the turns pretty fast.

Here is my mainproblem with the Mazda3:
When I started getting on it in the twisties, I needed to watch the tach because of how quite and smooth the engine and tranny are. The problem is that the tach is on the left side and I couldn't see it with my left hand on the wheel while I shifted with my right hand! I bet that the first thing that a lot of people will do is swap the IP with one from an RX-8 (I would).

Well that's my take on the Mazda3. A great car for the price, and I think that it will make a VERY strong base for tuners. If I were to buy one to play with, here are the first things that I'd do:

1. Move that tach somewhere useful!
2. Replace the clutch with a strong one and get some bigger pedals (the brake pedal is about 3.5" wide)
3. Coil-over suspension

Once you have that stuff taken car of, upgrade the exhaust, intake, and boost that b*tch. I think we'll see some nice cars not too long after the November release in CA.

EDIT: I drove both the 5-door auto and the sedan 5-speed. They felt almost exactly the same.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So that's it folks! Smooth clutch - I like that. Smooth engine - yummi! :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
DAMN I'M JEALOUS. Still waiting on a VIN# from my dealership! Its too bad its the baseline car for Mazda, I read they threw the first NA RX-8 customer who picked up the delievery a party.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have a titanium grey 2.3L sedan on order with all the bells and whistles... leather, sport, xenon, moonroof/CD, ABS... my company happens to be under the S-Plan, so i'll be getting it for slightly under invoice, which makes things easier... i was told mid to late December.. but they're going to look for one with my specs as soon as the first ones hit the ground, so maybe i'll get it earlier in december...

i'll keep you guys updated. this car is sweet, but i'm coming from a G35, so we'll see how it compares when i test drive it.. i'm downgrading to save some cash... but hopefully will retain some of the comfort, reliability, and performance as i had with my G35.

·
Registered
452 Posts
that's sound sweet man!!!!
i couldn't wait for a test drive....too bad it has not arrived in Canada...dman....still 2 more weeks to wait!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Yuki did you preorder the Mazda 3 yet ? Or just still deciding on one ?

·
Registered
452 Posts
deciding...i will not get one until year 2004 summer..
my mom said wait till the price drop a little and c more cars first...
but i think the Mazda 3 is a good deal!!!

saw 2 sedans today...one GS and GT...
i like the GT...but how would the GT look without the GFX kit?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Yuki. Gonna wait.
I'm just gonna see how the reviews come out. And also if I have the money...

·
Registered
452 Posts
o...same boat...u want to take the left paddle and i take the right paddle..lol~~~ j/k
and of course $$ is the issue too!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
errr... lol...

yeah, money is my real issue.
If I really really needed a car, I'd only be able to look into a used Nissan 240sx..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yuki said:
deciding...i will not get one until year 2004 summer..
my mom said wait till the price drop a little and c more cars first...
but i think the Mazda 3 is a good deal!!!

saw 2 sedans today...one GS and GT...
i like the GT...but how would the GT look without the GFX kit?
ic I have preorder the GT Sport wagon with all the options and my color choice is probably going to be either White or Titanium Grey Metallic. It is definetly a good deal just like the P5 which our family owns already. With the extra power it should satisfy me even more hopefully. Probably have to wait a while till the price drops but hope it will be soon so you can join us other Mazda 3 owners.

·
Registered
177 Posts
dugrant153 said:
errr... lol...

yeah, money is my real issue.
If I really really needed a car, I'd only be able to look into a used Nissan 240sx..
yeah but probably you can either lease or finance one

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fast perhaps but the interior is stil a Saturn. Too bad - they had a decent chassis and engine, but the rest is missing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts